Help with mystery wire? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By Akjpl
  • 1 Post By Akjpl
  • 1 Post By lesblank
  • 2 Post By KCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Help with mystery wire?

Hi all, I have a project V-star 650 that Iím trying to put back together (Iím putting some progress pictures here: https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...tml#post988082), and it seems that I failed to take adequate pictures during the tear down, and now one of the wires has me pretty stumped.

Hereís a picture:
http://imgur.com/a/QPUFUst

Itís a light blue wire sheathed in black (lighter than the other blue wires on the bike), and it goes from where Iím holding it in the picture, up the frame to the top of the shock alongside the main wiring harness (in its own sheathing), goes into the main wiring harness just behind the carb intake at the top of the frame, and appears to go back down towards the battery area, wrapped in the main harness. I havenít been able to locate where it comes out, and before I start cutting the harness open to trace it, I just thought I would ask here. The other end must go to a fuse or relay, but I can't seem to find the other end of the light blue wire. Iíve looked all through the shop manual and the wiring diagram, and still wasnít able to figure it out. I know the wire is in the right general location because I didnít cut the original zip tie, but thereís about a foot of wire, and therefore a foot radius where it could go. This shouldnít be hard, but for the life of me, I canít find a little screw anywhere that it would attach to. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, while weíre here Ė do you see where I grounded the negative battery lead (between the lowest engine mount and the exhaust header)? I donít really like this grounding point because the Ďchromeí/plastic cover also attaches here, and it seems like it should be sandwiched in more solid metal. My understanding is that the exact location isnít crucial as long as itís a solid connection to the frame, but does anyone know where this is actually supposed to go?

Thanks a lot for the help in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 06:52 PM
KCW

Garage
If that is on the bottom right side of the engine the only thing I can think of in that area is the brake light switch for the rear brake.

Another way to go at this is to wire everything up that you can figure out, and then see what is missing.

The bike also has a kick stand switch, and a transmission neutral switch, I think both are on the left side near the bottom of the crankcase.
Akjpl likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
The bike also has a kick stand switch, and a transmission neutral switch, I think both are on the left side near the bottom of the crankcase.
Neutral switch!!! There IS a tiny screw there - that has to be it!! Thanks so much - I completely missed that because I put that cover on already and pulled the wire through to the wrong side of the bike. That's incredible - I've been confused about that for days. I'll verify when I get home.
KCW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Sure enough - that was it!!
Seems obvious now. The wire even had a memory to it so it fell to about that spot, just on the wrong side of the bike but I couldn’t think outside my box. Haha I probably would have been looking on the wrong side for days before I thought to check somewhere else. Now the wiring diamgram makes total sense as well.. need my head checked or something!

https://ibb.co/n17Nz8R

Thanks a ton!!

Last edited by Akjpl; 12-13-2018 at 09:54 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:58 PM

Garage
Great you found where the wire went. Noticed you posted with imgbb. When you copy image to post use the drop down menu and choose BBcode full. This is what will show when you post and not just the link.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
...choose BBcode full.
Got it! I'll have to go back through and see if I can make that work for the others. Thanks for the tip on the host site!
KCW likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 08:34 AM
KCW

Garage
One of the most common problems new riders post here, is the bike will start up fine, then quit when they try to take off, or it wont start at all.

The kickstand and neutral switch are both necessary, because the engine will not run if the kickstand is down when the bike is in gear.

If you try to start it up in gear with the kickstand down, or start it in neutral then kick it into gear with the kickstand down, the engine just quits, with no indication of why.

If one of those switches is not working it does the same thing.

If there is any ambiguity on the remaining wires, the wire colors should tell you which is which. I think they only use 8 colors, but they use different colors on each wire in the same area of the bike. Look at the wiring diagram if you are not sure which is witch.

Last edited by KCW; 12-14-2018 at 08:37 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 09:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Look at the wiring diagram if you are not sure which is witch.
Not sure if spell check got you or a good play on works. Wiring can be like a bad witches spell. ����

KCW likes this.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home

Last edited by lesblank; 12-14-2018 at 09:37 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 10:56 AM
KCW

Garage
if you translate "spell checker" into german, then french, then back into english online

it comes back as "enchantment tester"
bevo1981 and lesblank like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode