Product Review 950 Tourer - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Product Review 950 Tourer

4/26/19 Update: the Tsukayu fairing is at least on the bike. WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!! The paint is beautiful so it will look great but there were some major hurdles.
1. There are no instructions. I found some online after a long search and an email to Value Accessories got me a PDF but it was all pictures of how the hardware came together and nothing about getting it on the bike.
2. The instruction I did get were lousy. All spacers, rubber or metal are just called spacers. Washers are just washers.
3. The long bolts for the long metal spacer ended up being too short once I added enough hardware or line up with the bracket. That took a trip to Lowe’s for bolts.
4. The brackets that bolt to the forks needed to be drilled out because they were too close and put the bolts in a bind.
5. Once it was back from paint, everything was too tight and none of the holes lined up. With rubber seals going around both pieces, several bolts have only 1 washer where 2 or 3 were originally supplied.
6. The locking mechanism does not work. They are machined poorly and do not slide. The cover for the slide mechanism hits the top of the bracket keeping the fairing from going all the way to the rubber bushing.
7. The bottom rubber bushings are too thick in circumference so the bottom slot will not go all the way down.
8. I have a bag of extra parts that I had to not use/skip because of fit or replace with store bought/shed found replacement parts.

I haven’t started wiring yet but that seems pretty cut and dry. I still need to find a way to secure it since the locks didn’t work.

The chin spoiler is painted and I have not started that project.

My apologies for not having pic and/or video but the blood,sweat,tears,frustration and aggravation had me to the point of just wanting the %@$#%@ thing done.

End of rant/ update.

Today I installed a V&H Twin slash slip on muffler and a Saddleman Profiler seat. It’s cold so it’s only a 10 mile ride review but this is my take so far....
Saddleman seat: Looks great, easy install. I sit a bit closer to the tank but my knees are still level with my feet on the boards (I’m 6’ with long legs and arms). Quickly noticeable is the back support from the well defined saddle. I was able to move around and it felt nice to lean back and feel the support where my rear end usually gets numb after 50 miles or so. Once I get a warm day I’ll put some miles on it and update this post. So far so good.
V&H muffler: Looks great, sound REALLY GOOD. if you like loud, this is the muffler for you. Upon 1st hearing it, yes IT IS LOUD. In the neighborhood, keep it in a higher gear and lower throttle and the neighbors shouldn’t complain. Out on the road is has a nice growl I can hear over the wind. I definitely like the sound. Performance: it backfires when you let off but not too bad. Just noticeable since I’d never heard the bike before(LOL). Installation: a small nightmare. The stock heatshields get in the way of it sliding on far enough so I had to loosen 3 heat shield clamps that were all positioned with the heads in the most impossible positions. The holes never really lined up properly and the supplied bolts don’t thread in all the way. I even went so far as to try to thread them with the muffler in my lap and they wouldn’t go in all the way. They are a different size than stock so you have to use them. I muscled it on there to get the job done but when it warms up I may take it off and try to do it better. I had read reviews where others had similar difficulties so I wasn’t suprised.
My two cents. Happy New Year and happy riding.
lesblank likes this.

Last edited by Preacher15; 04-27-2019 at 12:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

the muffler is made by K&N??

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

So sorry, good catch. V&H muffler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 01:07 AM

I actually had the same problem. I got the same slip on muffler for my 950 and tried to run the bolts in before installation. Would not go in more than a thread or two. My advice is to run a M10 tap through the threads to clean out any chrome or metal from the inside. Clean it out real well with some air or whatever you have to flush the shavings out and try again. I did this and the bolts went in no problem at all. Went all the way in. I have yet to install them because I am waiting until spring. Not muchwinter riding here in Pa. hope this helps you out!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Jschlode14. I will give that a try. One thing I do like about Middle Tennessee is itís January and I can crappie fish and ride on weekends when itís in the 50ís. Hopefully I can back them out and just turn it a bit and clear the threads. Having to completely undo the thing will be a pain and definitely a warmer weather project.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 10:15 AM

I agree. I was not even able to run the bolts in a little bit. I didn’t want to force them or break my Allen head. I emailed customer service at Vance and Hines to let them know people are having an issue with the hardware and they responded and said they would address the problem. So hopefully future customers won’t go through what we did. As much as a love living in Pa I hate having to wait for the warm months to ride. I’m anxious to get my pipe on and fire it up. Take care friend. Ride safe.
Preacher15 likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Alright, Tennessee weather is crazy, not enough warm days to start a project. By spring I will have a V-Star 950 Touring Street Glide.

Reminder; this is a product review thread.

So far the V&H exhaust is on but needs the threads cleaned and better bolts installed. The seat is awesome.

I purchased a Low and Mean chin spoiler from Elite Motorsports. It came in gloss black and I have it sanded down and ready for paint. There was a bit of confusion about the hardware included. Itís all sorted out. Customer service is excellent for answering questions and making sure we are satisfied. I even spoke to Low and Mean and they will go above and beyond as well.

I bought a Tsukayu Batwing fairing from ValueAccessories.net in Ohio. They have them in stock and I had it in 3 days. I chose the 6x9 with stereo and 8Ē windshield. I bought mine in primer so with the chin spoiler, Iím waiting for warmer weather for paint. The mounting hardware comes from China in 2-3 weeks but I have mine already and I bought it Jan 18.

All that I need now is to get paint, spray, and mount it all. Iím as anxious as I can get waiting on weather.

Iíll post pics as soon as itís finished.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 06:32 PM

Garage
Sounds like some great projects. Definitely post pictures, even in primer and some of assembly. Pictures of hardware might help someone else thinking about simular projects.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

I will do what I can. One thing that aggravated me was there were lots of before and after videos of V&H exhaust installations but nothing on the installation. Since I am planning on re installing mine I may go back and do that as well and address the struggles with heat shields and poor bolt preparation.
lesblank likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

4/26/19 Update: the Tsukayu fairing is at least on the bike. WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!! The paint is beautiful so it will look great but there were some major hurdles.
1. There are no instructions. I found some online after a long search and an email to Value Accessories got me a PDF but it was all pictures of how the hardware came together and nothing about getting it on the bike.
2. The instruction I did get were lousy. All spacers, rubber or metal are just called spacers. Washers are just washers.
3. The long bolts for the long metal spacer ended up being too short once I added enough hardware or line up with the bracket. That took a trip to Loweís for bolts.
4. The brackets that bolt to the forks needed to be drilled out because they were too close and put the bolts in a bind.
5. Once it was back from paint, everything was too tight and none of the holes lined up. With rubber seals going around both pieces, several bolts have only 1 washer where 2 or 3 were originally supplied.
6. The locking mechanism does not work. They are machined poorly and do not slide. The cover for the slide mechanism hits the top of the bracket keeping the fairing from going all the way to the rubber bushing.
7. The bottom rubber bushings are too thick in circumference so the bottom slot will not go all the way down.
8. I have a bag of extra parts that I had to not use/skip because of fit or replace with store bought/shed found replacement parts.

I havenít started wiring yet but that seems pretty cut and dry. I still need to find a way to secure it since the locks didnít work.

The chin spoiler is painted and I have not started that project.

My apologies for not having pic and/or video but the blood,sweat,tears,frustration and aggravation had me to the point of just wanting the %@$#%@ thing done.

End of rant/ update
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode