Heated grips review - Bikemaster - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By Boots
  • 3 Post By tpeach66

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Heated grips review - Bikemaster

Iím finally getting to some of the mods I wanted to do to my new (to me) bike and have some feedback others might find useful. Three things I wanted to do off the bat with a fourth coming soon. I replaced the petcock with one off EBay (Thanks Lesblank for tip on this) and it appears to be a good replacement. Mine was real hard to change position on and going from normal to reserve while riding was dangerous. Itís still raining a fair amount here so a good ride is a couple of days off. The other thing was heated hand grips and the main reason for this post. I bought a set from Bikemaster via Amazon. The product appears to be a decent product but I will not recommend it for V-Starís. I donít know if my 2002 is unique with the problem but unlikely. You can order for 1Ē or 7/8Ē handle bars. I ordered 1Ē and the clutch side was easy enough (different inner diameter because no throttle) but the throttle side was a PIA. These grips do not come with the slotted cam for the throttle cables to set in so you have to use the existing throttle plastic sleeve on the handle bar with the slotted cam. This plastic sleeve has ridges on it that go into the formed rubber grip that Yamaha put on. The Bikemaster grips will not easily slide over that sleeve. I had to take a knife (box cutter) and cut these ridges down some but not all the way so I could slide the grips over the sleeve. I recommend if youíre considering new grips, find a pair that is more specific to Yamaha and has the slotted cam for the cables. IMHO.
The other item I added was a USB port up front for the phone so it will be my GPS for long trips that Iím planning. Other great advice I got from this group was to add a relay for power so I found switched 12VDC that is turning the relay on with 12VDC straight from the battery that goes to the front of the bike with 10 gauge stranded wire so I can run multiple things off this lead. Yes, itís fused. A big reason for this is a new horn will be added in time and now it will be an easy mod. The other thing I ordered and is coming Wednesday is a new seat from Ultimate seats. Iíll post a review when I have an opportunity to sit on it for a few hours but Iím looking forward to it. A couple of weeks ago I went on a 2 hour each way ride to Santa Cruz for a Christmas BBQ from my old company I retired from and my ass was hurting when I got home. Thanks All.

Boots
2002 V-Star 1100
Antioch, CA
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
Previous bikes:
2004 BMW K1200GT
1995 BMW 1100 LT
1970 Honda 500/4
1969 Kawasaki 500HD - 3 cylinder rocket
1968 Yamaha 250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 05:57 PM

Garage
Nice. I just got my ultimate seat today and installed it the second I got home. It's very comfy, I can't wait to ride on it. I'm gonna ride to work tomorrow but that's not very far. Weather here is starting to do weird things.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 05:28 AM

Purdy!!!!

I had a Mustang on my Kawi 900...and I loved that one....

ED, Ultimate or Mustang......hmmmmmmmmmmm

T

2014 V Star 1300 "The Red Lady" Hard bags and Trunk, Denali Air horn, Ivan-ized ECU, K & N air filer, Slipstream Windshield, Shark Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpeach66 View Post
Nice. I just got my ultimate seat today and installed it the second I got home. It's very comfy, I can't wait to ride on it. I'm gonna ride to work tomorrow but that's not very far. Weather here is starting to do weird things.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Looks great, now I'm even more anxious! Let us know what you think after some time in it.

Boots
2002 V-Star 1100
Antioch, CA
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
Previous bikes:
2004 BMW K1200GT
1995 BMW 1100 LT
1970 Honda 500/4
1969 Kawasaki 500HD - 3 cylinder rocket
1968 Yamaha 250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode