1100 cam chain noise? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

1100 cam chain noise?

In my search for a vstar i rode a 2005 1100. It obviously hadn't been ridden for a while judging by how it acted (lots of choke to start, didn't want to run without choke), but it did clear up with a little higher rpm riding. Not perfect but good enough for a quick test ride.
My question has to do with the cam chain on the 1100s. There was a definite and pronounced sound on the right side of the engine. The sound didn't go away very quickly but by the time I returned to the owners house it certainly quieted down.
Do these motors have loud cam chains? Are there any problems associated with the cam chains or tensioners? How about the oiling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 07:55 PM

Garage
The timing chain on the 1100 does not make noise. You will get some valve tappet sounds, which is normal. Did you by chance check the oil? Old oil or low oil will make the tappet noises more noticeable.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

I did not check the oil. According to the seller, it was just "tuned up." Pretty dumb on my part to not check it... was in a bit of a time crunch. That's my excuse anyway. It could've been blacker than black for all i know
lesblank likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Do the 1100s have any oiling problems? Am I just being paranoid?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbmanthe View Post
Do the 1100s have any oiling problems? Am I just being paranoid?
No oiling issues. Vstars are the most reliable bike made, Google it. You were questioning cam chain noise. Only time I've ever heard of engine noise is from low oil issues, that's why I asked about oil

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:17 AM

1100' can get oil starvation to the valve train if the idle is to low. proper idle is 1050,1150. i would check cam chain tensioner.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:35 AM
Premium Member

So I'm a newbie to the V-Star and I changed my oil recently for the first time and had a small challenge. You're supposed to have the bike upright when checking the oil so while filling and checking, I put a 4x4 block under the kick stand with a strap tied to something solid to keep it from going over the other way. While filling, I could not see a change in the window until I realized it was appearing over filled. Cranking up the engine for a minute and then checking the level, all was great. Funny thing though, after a good ride and setting the bike upright to check the level, I had the same issue. I thought the first time was because the new oil needed to be circulated through the filter and all. The second time surprised my but cranking up the engine for a minute and rechecking, all was good.

Boots
2002 V-Star 1100
Antioch, CA
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
Previous bikes:
2004 BMW K1200GT
1995 BMW 1100 LT
1970 Honda 500/4
1969 Kawasaki 500HD - 3 cylinder rocket
1968 Yamaha 250
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:50 AM

you should keep the level close to the middle line. if theres to much oil it gets blown out the crank vent tube and collects in the air cleaner..the best way to check is with a hand mirror.when i'm feeling daring i hold the kickstand with my left hand and grip the left handgrip and tilt the bike level.https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...r-must-do-list
KCW and Boots like this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:53 AM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots View Post
...You're supposed to have the bike upright when checking the oil so while filling and checking,...
on all the bikes that have the quarter sized sight glass window to check the oil, get a little piece of mirror, sit on the bike on level ground, keep the bike in gear, and with one hand on the handlebar (grab the brake if the glass is on the left) push the bike up straight and reach down with the mirror to see the window.

You can lean the bike a bit left and right and watch the oil go up and down in the window. Where exactly the bike is vertical is subjective. This will give you a better feel for where the oil level is.

The plate behind the window is white. When the oil is dirty its very easy to see the black oil against the white plate. New oil can be a little harder to see, esp if you run synthetic oil, it tends to be yellow/gold and does not stand out as well.

The other thing, when you change your oil look in your owners manual to see how much you need, depending on whether you changed the filter or not. On all the Vstar bikes I have looked at you only need to change the filter on every other oil change: 4000 miles for oil, 8000 miles for filter. Whatever the owners manual says, put that much oil in the bike.

If you try to watch the sight glass while you are filling it up after an oil change, it will look full about 8 ounces short of what it needs. When you start the bike up it will pump that oil into the transmission and up in the heads, and it will read low. If you watch the glass again it will take another 5 ounces to make it 'look' full, and when you start it up again, it will be 3 ounces low.

Just put the amount in the manual says, check the sight glass to make surer you did not miss a quart, it should look like its overfilled. Ride the bike and check it when you come back, after it sits for a minute, and it should be fine. If its low after that, you are leaking oil.

If you dont have the owners manual for your bike, they are free online downloads from yamaha/vstar - easy to find.

Also the factory service manuals for most vstar bikes have also been scanned into pdf format, and are easy to find online as well. Some of the pages are a bit blurry (like the schematics/wiring diagrams) and the index table of contents links dont work in the scanned copies, but its better than nothing.
Boots likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 01-11-2019 at 10:57 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:10 AM
KCW

Garage
BTW, regarding engine noise: air cooled motorcycle engines are a noisy beast. Water cooled motorcycle engines are a bit quieter, but compared to a car with the engine under the hood, you are going to hear things on your motorcycle that you wont hear in a car.

And if you have a windshield, it is an acoustic reflector perfectly shaped to focus all the sound right up to your helmet.

Both my VS650 and Royal Star 1300 make a sound like you are clearing your throat when idling, like Chhhhhhhhhaaaa. It sounds like something sliding over metal, and it does it more when the engine is hot.

I dont know what it is, but my bikes have 41k and 25k on the odos, and they both run fine.

In general you should get use to the sounds your engine normally makes, then if it starts making a different sound, then you got something to worry about. I know that does not help with a new bike.
Boots likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 01-11-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode