V-STar 1100 things to look for when buying - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
V-STar 1100 things to look for when buying

Hi, Guys,

I've pretty well made up my mind to upgrade from my 650 Classic to a 1100 Silverado - the one I have my eye on is a 2011 Silverado with approximately 12000 miles.

Only item I've heard about was the starter clutch problem - was that on earlier year models or is it something Yamaha fixed after developing the 950???

Any other obvious items to watch for???

Bill
2015 Yamaha V-Star XVS65A Classic
NOS purchased April, 2017
0.9 km on the odometer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 06:03 AM

Garage
I believe the starter clutch issue was addressed starting with 2004 model years so you should be ok there. The only issue I had with mine was the rectifier failing and killing my battery. Other than that and a little more work to change the oil, the 1100 is a great bike that's light enough for around town and big enough to take out on the highway.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 11:15 AM

The starter clutch problem goes up through the years. My 07 v star 1100 starter clutch went out. And some people had the drive shaft break on them.I rode it for 3 yrs.an love the bike. I wonted a fuel injection bike an traded it in on a v star 1300.Don't no if your interested but the 1300 more updated bike if you can get one for the same price as the 1100.

09 V STAR 1300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 12:39 PM

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...r-must-do-list you can avoid damaging the starter clutch by learning the proper starting techniqui, never give it throttle while starting and don't stab the start button, firmly press until it starts and then let go. you won't hurt the starter, i guess it's always engaged. also check that the tps is in spec if it's out it can cause kickback and damage the start-clutch.
the other big problem with the 1100 is the middle drive shaft nut backing off, theres a write up in the must do section.
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 02:36 PM

Hey bfrench, I don't think you will regret getting the 1100 Silverado, I know I sure don't. I bought mine a few years back after taking a break from riding for a time. It is by far the best bike I have ever had. I could have bought any bike I wanted but being as I was just starting back up again figured I would try to buy something "reasonable" to start with. Now I won't part with it for nothing! Most of the guys I ride with are on Harley's and every year at our get together at Thunder In the Valley they try to talk me into getting a Harley. I almost drank the Kool Aid at first, but every time I think about everything my bike has and everything it does I just laugh to myself and think I got maybe a better bike for a lot less money than any of them have. The best thing about it is I "owned it" the day I bought it. I have always kept up with everybody on spirited rides, never left me stranded, have an awesome time every time I ride the thing, what more could I want? I looked at the 1300 and nothing wrong with that bike either just liked the style of the 1100 better.[IMG][/IMG]
KCW, NorthernRider, Dabluz and 4 others like this.

PEACE and BLESSINGS
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:26 AM

Grizzer I agree with your assessment of the 1100. I bought mine new in 07 and have enjoyed it greatly. The only cosmetic problem I have encountered is the Rivets rusting off. I haven't been able to find a reliable similar replacement and was wondering if you have encountered the same problem. If you have replaced any rivets please let me know your replacement source. Thank you.

Tehan
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 01:56 PM

tstark, are you talking about chrome studs on bags and seats and such? I have never had a problem with them rusting and as you can see I have quite a few extras including tank bib, drivers backrest, tail bag and stereo dashboard. Do you live in a salt air area? The studs are available at JP cycles just search "chrome studs" or you might be able to get them at a local automotive upholsterer.[IMG][/IMG]

PEACE and BLESSINGS
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 08:18 PM
KCW

Garage
I dont think Ive see any rivets in the construction of either of my bikes

i was going to make a joke about replacing them with staples...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 07:43 PM

Thanks, I'll check out JP Cycles.

Tehan
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 11:36 AM

Which forward controls are you using (4 or 6)? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode