How big a tyre ? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

How big a tyre ?

lm in the process of buying a 06 1100 V star classic , right price from a mate but it needs new tyres and l wanted to know how big a tyre will fit on the rear of one of these bikes , the reason is :- 1/ to fill out the rear guard (the 170 looks awefully small inside the guard) and 2/ being taller/bigger , it should show less revs on the highway which is where it will spend a lot of time at 100kph + , l used the search and nothing came up , thanks in advance .

Last edited by Vspec1; 12-15-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 04:59 PM

I looked into this awhile ago on my 1100. According to what I found out was that you could put a 180 on but it did not give any height to the tire. I also looked into building a final drive with Vmax or Venturer gears. They have a higher ratio, fewer revs. Never got past idea stage, other priorities. hope this helps.
Doug
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 06:27 PM

A few of my thoughts: If you are running all stock, why not stay with what come out on the bike? They put that size tire on them for a reason. Although, for a fact some brands do better than others, depends on personal likes and dislikes. I am a big beleiver in Metezler, some guys are not, there again, it's what works for you. A kid was in the shop this summer wanting to go as big as would fit, the mech told him that at a point it would do no good, other than maybe look like more what he wanted. I don't know, this is a forum and a forum means to talk, so maybe others will add some thoughts. Ride Free, Ride Safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Well looks was part of the reason to fill the big guard up but also a taller/bigger tyre has more roll out , like changing the diff gears in your car and seeing as 90% of my riding will be the highway and all the write ups , everyone recons it needs a 6 gear , a taller tyre will do the same thing . (it fixes 2 things at the one time)

And Sugar Bear 06 , lm not having a shot at you but manfactures do a lot of things to a price , it will do the job but there is usually a better option and it will be dearer .........lol

Last edited by Vspec1; 12-15-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode