2nd issue with new (very used) bike v star 650 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By KCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

2nd issue with new (very used) bike v star 650

...this is the second issue I found. Not to sure what to think of it since I am not at all familiar with this model. The rear header pipe looks very rusty and it seems to me this is not normal...maybe came with the non stock pipes? Bub models. There is no leaks and bike runs good. Tempted to take it off, but if it snaps it looks to me I will have to pull engine to use reverse bits or taps etc......Maybe I should just paint it and see how long it lasts??? pictures keep rotating when I drag them here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190114_143957.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	83208  

drawing a blank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 08:53 AM
KCW

Garage
In the photo you posted yesterday showing the exhaust pipes, it looks like it has an aftermarket exhaust system. Yamaha exhaust is clearly marked.

I dont think there is anything you can paint with that close to the head that will not immediately burn off the first time you ride the bike.

I have not tried it with Vstar bikes, but on old air cooled VW bugs I use to split the nut on the exhaust flange, and usually the stud in the head would be re-usable. If you tried to wrench the rusty nut off the points on the nut would strip out, or sometimes the stud would break. I think they intentionally use soft steel nuts on the old VW headers just so you could split them off. I dont know whats on our Vstar bikes.
starmeister likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE I use to split the nut[/QUOTE]

I am not to sure what you mean by split the nut. The nut on the header bolt can be split in half? It is in a hard to get location with not much room. Maybe I can get my cordless dremel in there with a cut-off wheel and slice one side of the nut then pry it with a flat head...Thanks for the help though....

drawing a blank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 05:31 PM
KCW

Garage
there is two ways to split a nut

you need a really sharp and hard chisel (not one for wood)

if the stud is pointing at you, put the chisel edge on the face of the nut, and hit it in towards the flange - you are splitting it in the same direction as the length of the stud.

If you cant do that, the put the edge of the chisel flat and square across one of the edges (that you would put a wrench on) and hit it firmly to imprint a line, that will be along the same line as the length of the stud. Then angle the chisel up, so its not aiming at the center of the stud, in the direction that will make the nut unscrew, and wack it good a few times.

This will either act as an impact wrench, and the shock will free the nut from the stud, and it will start to unscrew, or it will split the nut on one edge (again lengthwise with the stud) - and once the nut splits it will easily screw off the stud.

Ive done this on some nuts that are really hard to get a wrench on with some car engines. It seems like a crazy way to unbolt a nut, but it works.

this video sorta shows how to do it with a chisel: https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow5qtwRrNPU <take the space out, or seach on youtube for: 8thDec13 Split nuts with a chisel

there is also a tool you can get, if you can get the tool on the nut.

Last edited by KCW; 01-15-2019 at 05:39 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow5qtwRrNPU <take the space out
Checked out the vid...thanks. Also, thanks for showing how to add a link in this forum by just adding a space

drawing a blank
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 06:49 PM
KCW

Garage
normally you can paste a link in the text and it will work, without adding spaces
but for some reason that youtube video will not run from an outside link
starmeister likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode