Headlight blowing fuse - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Angry Headlight blowing fuse

2006 XVS 1100 custom I put new oem handlebars on, old ones were bent when I bought the bike. Bike was running fine until I switched the handlebars. checked the wires and did not see any loose wires or bare wires. also, tried starting bike and it won't start, just clicks. Battery was being drained, charged it overnight and still not starting, ugh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 10:53 AM

Garage
Make sure the kill switch is on. It's easy to hit it without realizing it. When you hit the starter button what happens? How long did the bike sit? If headlight is blowing fuse check the headlight bucket, most of headlight and turn signal wiring is there. Many connections are slip connectors and can be pulled loose easily and ground out. Maybe when you were changing the bars you pulled a little hard on the wiring harness. Also check the battery ground to frame. It's a common place for corrosion, take off and clean, don't trust that it looks good. Post back anything else you find.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The bike sat for 2 weeks, cold weather here also. Once I finished the handlebar install it cranked but did not stay running, that is when I noticed the headlight was not working turn signals, brake light and horn work. now when starting I hear the fuel pump start then press start button and it just clicks. haven't check the ground to the bike, I will. I checked the headlight bucket, I will double check again. The bulb is good. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 11:30 AM

Garage
I would start with load test on battery, ground to frame, then wiring coming out of switch (could be pinched) then headlight bucket. Battery can seem good but not enough to supply starter with full voltage.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:21 PM
KCW

Garage
Nearly always, when a bike was running and you changed something, and now there is a problem, then somewhere in the process of the change you made something got pulled or pinched or stretched, in this case maybe a wire got stripped when you pulled it thru an opening.

You may have to go back and take the handgrips off with the switches and wires and inspect everything for exposed insulation or stretched (broken) wires.

Do you have a way to charge the battery back up, and do you have a volt/ohm meter to check for wire connectivity, and shorts to ground (the frame) ?
patman likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 01:16 PM
KCW

Garage
you did not mention, did you replace the headlight fuse and it blew again? did you leave the blown fuse in there, bypass it so there is no fuse now?

whenever you work on the handlbars or adjust them or move the grips/mirrors around, you have to check the wires, the hose to the front brake caliber, the speedo cable, and move the handlebars stop to stop left and right, to make sure nothing got hooked into anyplace where its going to snag or pull, and either keep you from being able to steer stop to stop, or stressing a cable or hose if you do.
patman likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
took the grips back off and double checked the connections, look good. pulled the headlight out again, connections are good. I put the battery on trickle charge for now and will check everything again later. I put a new fuse in for the headlight again, something is draining the battery, can't find my volt/ohm meter, ugh. Thank you all for the tips.
KCW likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 02:06 PM
KCW

Garage
a $10 meter from walmart is better than nothing

take the black lead off the battery, with everything turned off, if you measure 12V between the disconnected battery lead, and the battery terminal, then something is conducting power to the frame.

a quick and dirty test is to swipe the disconnected ground wire on the battery terminal when the battery is charged and everything on the bike is turned off. If you see any spark, something is drawing power.

if you see a spark, do not reconnect the ground wire to the battery until you find out where that short is.
lesblank and patman like this.

Last edited by KCW; 01-27-2019 at 02:11 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I found the short that was blowing the headlight fuse, it was a wire that was attached to the license frame lights! put the battery on trickle charger for the night, hopefully a full charge will get it running again.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 06:24 PM

Garage
Great news. From handlebars to tail light, that would have been hard to diagnose. Had you recently been working on tail lights? Keep us posted on results after battery is charged.
patman likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode