Charging and battery issues - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Charging and battery issues

2002 VStar Classic 1100. No added electronics, stock electrical loads and components.

- Fully charged brand new AGM goes dead sitting with ignition off, of course. (Battery installed at 13.8v static)
- Idle volts = 12.85 at 900 RPM, RPM to 3000-5000 shows 12.2v and dropping (slowly).
- Changed new battery with another new battery, same outcome.

- Only unusual thing I can find thus far is that the negative lead at battery gets very warm, almost hot but you can keep finger on it.

I purchased a new regulator-rectifier but have not installed until stator is checked. I am planning to check stator resistance BUT - where do I find the three whites in the most easily accessible place? Also, any help with best practices to locate possible parasitic draw on this particular bike would really help.

I have taken a cursory look at the wires and leads, no rusting, nothing loose, nothing obviously shorted at tank wire bundle and at battery posts. Fuse blocks under seat and in side compartment look fine. Cranks strongly when full battery applied. Goes to 10.5v in an hour sitting statically.

Thanks for any and all advice. I have been searching and thought this might be a venue to get the most up to date processes and experiences. ... and I thought my FJ1200 had electrical issues!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 01:33 PM

The stator will directly plug into the rectifier, so all 3 wires will be there. Would have to check the schematic to know what 3 wires on the plug connector.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Okay ... was hoping another point exists ... getting to rectifier is tough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 02:00 PM

Garage
Double check the negative cable connection at the frame. Known area of corrosion. Remove and clean. Been issue on many electrical issues. Do an amp draw at battery to find parasite draw, here's a pretty good write up on how to do it.
https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/arti...itic-load.html
stratsurvivor likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the link. I will again check the negative lead. This bike is so clean; barely any rust even looking around under the bike. One of the reasons I bought it. I believe in double and triple checks especially for the most obvious. Just hate being bitten by the most obvious!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 03:44 PM

you can check the three white wires on the left side. under the bottom chrome cover. you should be 14 volts at 3000 rpms. https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...harging-system
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 08:57 PM

Garage
Most likely the rectifier...my vstar had the same issue, rectifier fixed it

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 08:14 AM

Garage
I have solar trickle chargers on every small battery I own. ATV, Golf Cart, VStar, Electric start generator, DR Grader. One big problems with small batteries is that they have a fast degeneration. When they de-energize, every electrical component suffers trying to function while the unit is trying to regulate to the proper voltage. $21.00 weather proof...Just my opinion
v
v
v
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Exclamation This is the process and guide I was looking for!

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB...hagre-syst.pdf

This is what I was after ... actually stumbled on it looking for AM rectifiers. Thought maybe others would want to archive this. Good, simple process.

Tim

"Do not go gentle into that good night... Rage, rage against the dying of the light ..."

Last edited by VirginiaVSTAR1100; 02-05-2019 at 08:26 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 08:40 AM
KCW

Garage
I checked the batteries in both of my bikes (listed in garage page) last weekend. They have been sitting connected in the bikes in the cold garage since early december.

12.7V on one and 12.8V on the other: perfect.

This is what I love about a simple motorcycle design, when the key is off there is nothing pulling power from the battery, and it should not self-discharge over a few months time.

I check them once a month, and bump them up if they fall off 12.5 V or so (with a 2A charger for several minutes).

When a battery is old it might self discharge over the winter, and once it has sat dead for a month it will no longer properly recharge. But at that point it was on its way out anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode