Ignition timing (possible) issue? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Ignition timing (possible) issue?

New member here trying to get the cruiser sorted out before the Spring...

I bought this 2005 V-Star 1100 Classic a couple of years back. Long story short, the valves got stuck open and therefore bent, and I rebuilt the top end. The bike wouldn't idle right after the rebuild, and after I chasing an air leak for days, I did away with the double carb setup in favor of a KJS kit. Idle problem solved. On to the next problem...

The idle sounds almost right, but it is not as smooth as I think it should be. On the road things are not much better. Having owned a Harley that with with an ignition module that was completely off, the way this one runs is definitely reminiscing of it.

Has anyone had an ignition module go bad before? Does anyone know of a shop in the San Francisco/Bay Area that is familiar V-Star tunning?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 05:12 AM

sorry can't help but if your replacing the ignition a dyna ignition is less expensive than oem.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 06:24 AM

Garage
I've never seen a post about an ignition module going out. Not saying it couldn't be, just never seen one post about failure before.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick57 View Post
sorry can't help but if your replacing the ignition a dyna ignition is less expensive than oem.
And that is exactly what I have been looking at buying, I just want to make sure I am not overlooking anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
I've never seen a post about an ignition module going out. Not saying it couldn't be, just never seen one post about failure before.
I couldn't find anyone with the same problem either, these things are usually as bulletproof as they come. I may still do some more diagnosing this weekend...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 01:04 PM
KCW

Garage
after you changed the carbs its possible the jets and PMscrews are not quite tuned in.

The recommended number of turns on the PMscrews is the starting point. To get the bike running perfectly you normally have to tweak them a bit more in or out from there. There are two ways to adjust the PMS - should be easy to find on google.

Unless you have tested the spark and its weak or intermittant, make sure its not the thing you modified first.

Out of curiosity, does your bike have a throttle position sensor? I know the 650 does and that is how the timing is advanced. If the replacement carb has one slightly different, it would throw your ignition timing off.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
after you changed the carbs its possible the jets and PMscrews are not quite tuned in.

The recommended number of turns on the PMscrews is the starting point. To get the bike running perfectly you normally have to tweak them a bit more in or out from there. There are two ways to adjust the PMS - should be easy to find on google.

Unless you have tested the spark and its weak or intermittant, make sure its not the thing you modified first.

Out of curiosity, does your bike have a throttle position sensor? I know the 650 does and that is how the timing is advanced. If the replacement carb has one slightly different, it would throw your ignition timing off.
I have yet to try to adjust the carb settings, but it is also a possibility.

The bike does have a TPS and I have mounted it to the new carbs and adjusted it to be within specs, so I am ruling it out for the time being.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode