Jetting needed? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By nick57

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

Jetting needed?

Hey guys and gals, I have a 2009 1100 that is stock except for punching out the exhaust for better sound. I have been thinking about installing a K&N air filter as a cost saver over OEM replacement filters. I am not looking for increased performance just like the fact you can clean and reuse the K&N. My question is will I need to rejet if I do go ahead with the K&N?

PEACE and BLESSINGS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 04:58 AM

no, your still uising the stock air box.if you change to exhaust to slipons you can up the mains one size so that at that at cruising speeds your not a bit lean. now with the exhaust punched you will get popping on decell so opening the pms screws a quarter will make the popping go away
lesblank likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Nick, Just to clarify though right now bike is tuned perfectly runs super smooth with no popping at all. Are you saying that after adding K&N I might experience popping? I am hesitant to change anything at this point because I really like how bike runs just tired of cost of filters.

PEACE and BLESSINGS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 06:06 AM

nope, popping is caused by running lean, yamaha sets the bike lean to meet emission rates. there is popping from the factory but the muffler quiets it.open the exhaust and you hear it. i suggest a quarter turn on the pms screws but what you can do is gradually open them until the popping goes away. but stock screws are impossible to adjust without removing the carbs.used to get aftermarket screws from two places now only metric magic has them.you can google him.a lot of guys change to pods for a hp boost then jetting.if you click on the link under my signature and go to the tuning section for carb jetting.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Nick, I already have exhaust opened up and I get absolutely no popping. Bike runs great and I was worried that going to K&N would change that as I have seen a couple threads where guys said that had to jet when adding K&N. Not looking to add power or performance as I am more than happy with how bike runs.

PEACE and BLESSINGS
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 06:25 AM

your not increasing the air. the stock airbox only allows so much air in.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Nick got confused when we started talking about popping as I already have that taken care of. I thought you were saying that by adding K&N it might pop on deceleration. Bike is tuned and running perfectly no popping at all so I guess I am going to go ahead with the K&N. Thanks again.

PEACE and BLESSINGS
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 06:47 AM

Garage
I've run a K&N for years. I have a cobra full exhaust with the K&N. Went up one size on mains and ended up about a quarter turn out extra on PMS. Will get a pop every so often but that's only when I quickly close throttle from an almost full throttle. Not enough to mess with. Never had any issues.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Les, I saw in one of your previous posts that you went up one size on the mains that is why I posted the questions. Did you go up a size because of the full exhaust+K&N? I was thinking I will be ok because I have stock airbox and punched factory exhaust. Nick57 seems to agree. Thanks so much for your replies guys, I always hesitate to change anything when it is running so good but tired of the expense of filters, they are around$32 at dealer here now. I can get them cheaper online but would just like to go with K&N and be done with it.

PEACE and BLESSINGS
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 07:51 AM

Garage
At first I didn't change jets. I checked plugs after about a week and motor was running leaner than I wanted. I build a lot of race motors and trust plug readings. It really wasn't lean enough to change jets but did to make me more comfortable about my set up. After changing jets the plugs colored up a little which I liked. So do you need to? Properly not. The whole secret here is not too lean or too rich, sometimes it's a fine line.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode