No crank no star - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

No crank no star

Hello everyone!
I own a 2003 V star 650, I’ve been working on it for the last week or so after school and work. So far I have checked the starter relay, the refractor, fuel pump, starter and they all checked out good! I also had the battery checked and reads out 12.7 volts. I changed all fuses in the bike since it had been sitting for a good year or so and wanted to get that factor out of the way.
I turn the ignition on all the lights come on and pump primes but as soon as I hit my starter switch nothing happens. Starter doesn’t even spin, I checked my clutch switch and it checks out fine, and it seems like my bike doesn’t have a kick stand switch since it was modified to a aftermarket kick stand which makes me believe they bypassed the switch.
The previous owner said the bike worked but stored it because he bought a couple different bikes that were more comfortable than a bobber v star.
Any thought of what could be causing the problem?
Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:02 PM

Garage
Do have power to starter relay when you hit the starter button? Have you checked continuity at the kill switch? The kick stand switch is just a ground, did you check? Does starter solenoid click? What is voltage at battery when you hit starter switch? I know, lots of questions but fixing electrical is a process of elimination.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

the starter relay did click when I was checking it off the bike and I jumped it although it doesn’t click at all when I hit the start switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:28 PM

Garage
Sounds like you are not getting power to relay. Test for continuity at starter switch.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:33 PM
KCW

Garage
If you can coast the bike about 100 feet down a driveway or on the street in neutral

with the key on, the kill switch on Live, the fuel on, the choke pulled out - when the bike gets up to about 10 or 15 mph pull the clutch in, kick it up into 2nd gear, let the clutch back out in a 1 second release... the bike should start without having to use the starter.

If it starts and runs then you have a starter circuit problem. If you cant push start it, then something else is going on.

To be clear, the bike will not start or continue to run if the kick stand is "down" and the bike is in any gear but neutral. Since the kickstand switch has been tinkered with, it is suspect #1.

BTW, the bike does not have a clutch switch. It has a neutral switch, that will make the green light go on when the bike is in neutral (between 1st and 2nd), but nothing on the clutch.

Last edited by KCW; 02-03-2019 at 09:35 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

I’ll try to start it tomorrow as adviced ! Thanks for the help I’ll keep you guys updated!
And I thought it did, it does have a electric out put that when the clutch it pulled it reads continuity, I thought that was a switch of some sort.
Does anyone know where the kick stand connects to ? There is literally no switch or wires anywhere close to it on the frame
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Hello guys, i haven’t forgot about the forum. Okay so non of the advice above did anything to my motorcycle. So what I assumed is that the engine is seized maybe from sitting for some time. To assure my assumptions what I did I tried to crank the engine by hand by the crankshaft, and sure enough it’s seized and I broke my crankshaft bolt trying to turn it over, so now I believe a used motor is the cheapest and best solution.
Thanks to all for the help
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 09:06 AM
KCW

Garage
That really sucks!

Its hard to believe you broke the bolt on the center of the crankshaft (on the left side of the engine, right) ?

If the bike had been sitting for a long time, its possible the rings could have rusted to the cylinder walls, making it hard to break loose... but not that hard.

If the engine is dead seized, then either the timing chain broke and the pistons mashed the valves (locking the engine), or the engine was overheated to the point where the pistons swelled from the heat and galled the cylinder walls. Maybe the clutch blew apart... Either way, it was not running when it was stored.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 09:23 PM

Wow, what conditions was the bike stored in and for how long? I've picked up bikes that sat in junkyards for years that didn't have seized motors.
KCW likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Well guys I know it’s been a few weeks but I’m still working on the bike, so I heard from the past owner that what really happen was that some how gasoline entered and mixed with the oil, therefore not lubricating or cooling the engine the proper way, one day he went on a ride and 3 miles in the engine locked up on him and he had to get towed back home so I believe he overheated the engine to the point where the pistons welded to the cylinder wall, but good new I bought a hunk yard engine, have been working on it for the past week and it should be going on today, I sent the gas tank and fairings to paint and those should also be in today hopefully I’ll have her ready this weekend to ride her for the first time.
KCW and Boots like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode