Please ease my mind - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Please ease my mind

About rod knock. Im still hunting for the right bike and attempting to sell my F6B. While I was poking around ye olde interwebs I ran across a couple of comments saying something along the lines of "a vstar's engine is only good for 40,000 miles, then it WILL develop a rod knock and be trash," and "i was at the yamakawsukinda dealer and they had 20 vstars in the back with rod knock problems."

Now, anyone can go onto a forum and spout whatever drivel they want to and I know this. I also know certain engines can be susceptible to a common given malady and that most, not all, engines can last a long time with proper use and care.

Is there any truth in this claim that v star engines are prone to rod knock? At any mileage? Obviously if someone is revving the holy life out of an engine from day one it is not going to live a full and happy life but is this a thing to be wary of?

Thanks!
graybeard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 05:53 AM
KCW

Garage
LoL!
Go to Consumer Reports website. THE MOST reliable motorcycles are vstar bikes, followed by Honda.

The only way to make our bikes knock is to ride them with no oil.

Testify brothers!
bevo1981 likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 02-08-2019 at 07:34 AM.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 06:34 AM

Garage
KCW is 100 percent correct. Here's a few articles to substantiate his statements. Don't know where you were getting your information but it is incorrect.

bevo1981, KCW and Boots like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 09:55 AM

Garage
I love mine. It is a 2002 1100 Custom. Have only had minor issues, but not with the engine. Full of oil and perma grin!!!
KCW and Boots like this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:21 AM

Dbmanthe, I don't think you have a thing to worry about. I can honestly say I have never heard of a V Star with a bottom end engine failure and there have been a lot of V Stars sold it is a very popular bike. When I bought mine a few years back the noises that I could hear the bike making worried me a little too. I have an 1100 Silverado and when your sitting behind the windshield it seems you can hear every noise the engine makes. It's an air cooled v twin it makes some noise. Thousands of miles later I can say with a big grin on my face that it is the best bike I have ever owned hands down. I know my bike and I love my bike and wouldn't part with it for nothing. I doubt that the dealership that said they had 20 in back with rod knock even cracked the engine cases to verify, probably just had bikes on the floor that they wanted to unload.
KCW and JonMaz2112 like this.

PEACE and BLESSINGS
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:45 AM
KCW

Garage
some things are self contradictory and need no further investigation

if a guy claims:
Quote:
"i was at the yamakawsukinda dealer and they had 20 vstars in the back with rod knock problems."
?! he went to a dealer and was TOLD they have 20 vstars with rod knock? Told by who, the guy trying to sell him a yamaha?
the owner of the business trying to bankrupt himself?

are these 20 vstar bikes on hand all waiting to be rebuilt, in which case they are getting 20 blown engines every.. month?!

did the dealer take in 20 bikes on trade in, knowing the engines were blown?... for what purpose?

it just makes no sense on the face of it.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbmanthe View Post
Is there any truth in this claim that v star engines are prone to rod knock? At any mileage?
Excellent question! I can't wait to hear the responses. I've only got 19k+ miles on my 2010 vstar 950, so that's why I'm interested in the answers.

For whatever it's worth, I put 15k miles on in the last 2 or 3 years and have been completely trouble and noise free and I have not heard any complaints about vstar rod knock anywhere.

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

90k miles on my 09' 950 and no engine knock here
Grizzer likes this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I knew it was fishy but the fact I ran across multiple statements rambling about rod knock rattled my cage.
The language that was used made me doubt the validity of their claims too. You know, along the lines of if you ride a motorcycle then you will die in a horrible gas truck accident type claims.
It pays to talk to the people who know. Just gotta get rid of the Honda.

Then decide between 650 or 1100....
JonMaz2112 likes this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 07:36 PM
KCW

Garage
other than the F6B that you said is really more bike than you want for riding solo, what are the other 3 bikes you mentioned previously that you have in your garage?

When I was looking for a second bike over the last few years I wished there was some place where I could rent or borrow or swap motorcycles for a few days or a week. I have relatives that have harleys, and a honda 750/4. It takes more than a few hour ride to get a real feel for a motorcycle. Usually riding a different bike just makes you uncomfortable for a while, because everything is just different enough that you feel like you dont know how to ride the thing.

Last edited by KCW; 02-09-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode