FMS vs Ivans Flash Opinion - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
JRG

FMS vs Ivans Flash Opinion

Like the title says, I'm looking for yalls opinion on a FMS system vs doing Ivan's ECU flash. I have a 1300 with a cobra slip-on pipe and looking to do one of the 2 since I have decent decel popping and low speed pulsing. If FMS, then which one do yall like the best. Thanks

Current- 2009 V-Star 1300 Tourer, Cobra slip-on, Lindby highway bars, Mustang seats, plenty more to come!
Previous- 2005 V-Star 1100 Silverado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Ivans will make several changes to your ECU such as ignition timeing, fuel cutoff, rev limitting in each gear, and some other stuff i can't remember right now. an FMS adds more fuel to your air/fuel mixture. if you have aftermarket air and exhaust, i think getting an FMS is recommended. Ivans actually sells FMS along with his ECU flashing and has dyno charts to prove that an FMS does add performance to his flash. if you're just getting one or the other, have the money (Ivans flash is likely more costly), and don't have at least an aftermarket air intake, and just wanting to fix your popping and pulsing, then i think the ECU flash will probably serve you better.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 01:32 PM

Garage
I had a cobra Fi2000r FMS.. I have Ivan's now and if i knew then what i know now i wouldn't have gotten the FMS. Ivan's is worth every penny and than some over any FMS. Don't waste your time with a FMS if your considering Ivan's tune.

Just my $0.02

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 07:21 PM

Garage
I cannot speak to Ivan's tune. I do have the FI2000r installed on my 950T and am extremely happy with it. But, I like tinkering with things. I enjoyed fine tuning the system. I like the idea of being able to make adjustments myself in the future if something changes. Once I zeroed in on the optimum settings (seat of the pants testing), I haven't had to change anything.

You're never really lost on a bike. You're just riding somewhere you haven't ridden before.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
JRG

Thanks for the input. I know I need to do one of the two. I was thinking the Cobra FI2000R O2 just for the fact that it would be quicker. I'm currently deployed and by time I get back, pull the ECU and mail it and get it back, I'm guessing I'll have used up a decent part of the "riding season". I checked Ebay for a used ECU that I could buy and send to Ivans Performance and possible have to my house about the time I got back but only 1 showed up at the time and they wanted a pretty good amount for it. I wish I had seen this forum before I headed to the land of sand.

Current- 2009 V-Star 1300 Tourer, Cobra slip-on, Lindby highway bars, Mustang seats, plenty more to come!
Previous- 2005 V-Star 1100 Silverado
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 10:40 PM

Garage
Just an FYI... turn around from Ivan is days. I sent mine to him when he was in NY and mine was there and back in 5 days from London,Ontario, Canada.

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 11:49 PM

Once they have it in hand it's only a day or two, and then they can express ship it back.
I mailed mine priority on monday, and got it back on friday with express shiping back to me.

Where you ship from will likely change this, if you need to overnight from your location or not, to get this speed. They where not even asking extra funds for overnighting it back other than the postoffice costs.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 08:17 PM

Garage
If you already have a Cobra Fi2000R O2 on your 950 or wish to revert to stock or retune in minutes, then skip the cost for Ivan's.
If you want to get every last ounce of tuning and perfect running and are deciding which way to go then Ivan's is the elite tune.
In hindsight I should have just stuck with my FMS and passed on the cost of Ivan's for the tiny bit extra I get from it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode