Valve adjustment question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By lesblank

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Valve adjustment question

Been doing lots of research on both the V Stars and the Shadows. Both because I'm hoping to get one or the other in the hopefully very near future.
In doing the research I found that the Honda 750 has a valve inspection interval of 8000 miles whereas the V Star is a paltry 4000 miles!
Doing valves by itself isn't hard but getting to them can be quite annoying in certain circumstances.
How difficult is it on a V Star, 650 or 1100? How long is it before they tend to settle down and stop needling much adjustment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 05:07 PM

Garage
I put 60k on my 1100 in 4 years and checked valves every 4k. It's hard for me to tell you how long it takes as I would do oil at the same time and what I call a nut and bolt check (things can vibrate loose so all fasteners were checked on entire bike). Being a daily commuter I never had any unexpected down time following this schedule. I would say if I was to do only valve check it would be about an hour. The time I would spend would be much longer as I would also do a detailed clean on parts you normally can't get too. I bought my bike with 1700 miles on it and at 4k they were a little tight. That was the one and only time they ever needed adjusting. Do you self a favor and replace the oring every time. They will start to leak and makes a mess, yes that's experience speaking 😀. I got very good at checking them and was really no big deal. Don't let the frequency on checking valves a determination of buying a Vstar or not. A question for you, how many miles a year do you plan on riding it? The reason I'm asking is unless you are going to do some major riding you are probably only looking at a once a year or so check. Hope that helps you some.
arby likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 06:31 PM

I had an '05 750 aero. I rode a lot at the time, so in the 1st year (To keep the warranty in effect) I followed the recommendation in the manual and had them checked at 8 & 16 K..

Didn't touch them again until I sold the bike to a good friend.
Had them adjusted @ 60,000 miles, they were only slightly out of tolerance.

2014 1300 Tourer. Cobra Fuel Processor, Cobra Slip-On Muffler, Lindby Multi-Bar,
Cobra PowerFlo, Yamaha Lightbar, Wolo Big Boy. Bag Guards & Trim Rails ED Seat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 06:39 PM
KCW

Garage
With a 650, and maybe with an 1100, if you leave the fake plastic valve covers off the engine the first time you check the valves ,then you will be able to get to the exhaust valves and check them without taking anything off the engine, I plan on doing this the next time I check them.

Then if the exhaust valves are within tolerance, the intake valves are probably ok. If the exhaust valves are out then I would pull the carbs again and check the intake valves.

My Royal star is a lot more work, with 4 cylinders, 16 valves, and you adjust them by replacing shim disks. I think the schedule is 8k miles, maybe even 16k miles. Will have to look it up in the manual.

EDIT: just looked it up, my 2000 Royal Star is not even due for its first valve clearance check: every 28,000 miles !

there you go! [Dancing across the room]

BTW: credit where its due: HD bikes have hydraulic lifters that are self adjusting.

Last edited by KCW; 02-23-2019 at 06:45 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Insurance on Harleys is high! I think I would trade overhead cams for hydraulic lifters though. Im hoping to ride this bike 6k to 8k per year.
I do love the shaft drive for the low maintenance aspect. I suppose belt drive would be in a similar position.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 07:17 PM

Garage
If you are leaning toward an 1100 here is a must read. Years of knowledge of what works and what doesn't.

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...r-must-do-list

Here is a similar site for the 650.

650 CC & D

If you plan is to average 7k a bike you will be good for many, many years on either if maintenance schedule is followed. You can figure a 100k mile life from either. So if you pick one up with 30k miles or less on it you should have at least 10 years life left in the bike. For me it seemed keeping cosmetic item in check is the hardest. I commute daily, rain or shine, so road grim can be a headache if not cleaned real regular. Good luck on what ever your choice is.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

the 950 manual recommends valve clearance checks only every 16,000 miles

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode