950 Tour windshield adjustment - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

950 Tour windshield adjustment

After 2 weeks of monsoon rains, it was sunny so I went for a ride. It was way too windy and I was beat to death. Im fairly tall so the top of the windshield is at my chin. After the ride I decided to unbolt the 8 little fastener bolts and move my windshield up one space. Now I have 2 empty holes up top in the windshield and two empty holes below in the bracket. The space between the shield and the headlight is pretty large. Has anyone else ever done this? Is it a mistake? Am I risking any damage? Anything I need to know before I try this out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 12:15 AM

Dunno, it's a lot of wind pressure hitting it. Not sure at what point and safety tolerance was calculated into the design of the mounts.

What size is your currend windshield. yamaha made 3 sizes, and the normal one shipped on the touring model was the middle.

Short 16 3/8
Medium 20 1/2
Tall 24-3/4"

I currently have the medium and tall windshields. really just need a 22". It's been almost 2years since I last used it.
I forget how I got mine exactly, think it was listed for a stryker (I might remember wrong, or it might have been listed incorrectly), but when I checked the inventory numbers, it matched the same for the 950, so picked it up on craigslist.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

you're putting significantly more torque and stress on your remaining mount points. i wouldn't recommend it. unless you just want to take it for a short test ride to see if a taller windshield would be favorable.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 08:08 PM

Garage
I have the stock short 950T windshield and the medium Yamaha windshield which I could just buy as replacement (no hardware).
I am 5'11" and the medium is perfect. Wind hits my helmet just above the visor in the forehead area.
With the addition of lowers I have great protection, low buffeting and low wind noise.
I would not raise the stock short windshield like you did because the shape is much more square and wide than the more tapered and contoured medium shield. I would think it would be more unstable at high speed. Also the medium has a much tighter fit around the headlight, if you raise the small up it does have huge space there, negating some weather protection.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 07:26 AM

Garage
Clearview has a recurve windshield that will redirect wind about 6 inches higher. I have a recurve windshield for sale in the classified section here, but it's for a 650/1100.https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...d-studded.html I think that would solve your problem. In my opinion, the windshield is just as important as the tires. As stated above, you have weakened the windshield by moving it. My guess is that you may start to see stress cracks soon.

https://www.clearviewshields.com/rec...ecurve-design/

Last edited by spetro; 02-26-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode