Another dumb question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By bevo1981
  • 1 Post By KCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Another dumb question

Ye olde Honda dealer near me has a VStar 650 for sale,(low miles, good shape, ridden by an old lady to church etc...) and I want to get rid of my F6B. It's a custom, but I want a classic. Im just curious about swapping between custom and classic.
Im not planning on it since the front tires are different, and I think that probably entails different triple trees. As far as I am concerned, that's too much effort to make a switch like that.
What else is different? Spring rates? Seat pans? I think the custom is lower, right? Did Yamaha put different frames on them? Seems unlikely but what do I know?
The paint on that custom is too nice to mess up anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

i would pull up a link to each and compare part numbers to see if they match or not: https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oem...torcycle/parts
KCW likes this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 02:50 PM
KCW

Garage
The custom has a taller and narrower front wheel, which I think looks better than the classic. Im use to dirt bikes that have big front wheels, so thats my mental image of what a motorcycle is suppose to look like.

The custom has pegs, the classic has floorboards. You cannot stand up on the pegs like a dirt bike, or a sports bike, your feet end up in about the same place on the classic, but the mounting holes are different, so you cannot just bolt the floorboards from a classic onto the custom. It might actually be a different frame, just because of those two mounting bolts.

One nice thing about the custom is the half cut off rear fender. To take the back wheel off you only need to raise it an inch off the ground, and the tire will pull out the back and clear the fender. With the classic and its full rear fender you have to either jack the bike over a foot in the air, to get the tire out from under the fender, or take off the passenger seat, drivers seat and half the fender bolts so you can swing the fender up in the air, with the tire only an inch off the ground.

Other than that, the bikes are identical.
Yamaha Pat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode