V Star 950 Engine Guard-recommendation - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By bevo1981
  • 1 Post By Digger
  • 1 Post By 2lanerider
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By Prairieboy
  • 1 Post By 16v-star
  • 2 Post By Prairieboy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

V Star 950 Engine Guard-recommendation

Does any one have a recommendation or advise for an engine Guard for a 2016 950, I would like to put one on this year that would give me a place to install Hwy pegs. I have read that some of the available bars get in the way of the foot controls. any advise would be great.

2016 950 Tourer
Vance & Hines Slash slip on exhaust,
K&N Air Filter,
Power commander V

I know enough to know, I don't know enough !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

i don't know of any engine guard that would get in the way of the stock foot control placement. there are some that would prevent moving the foot controls forward. popular ones for the 950 are the big bar engine guard, the lindby guard, and the cobra freeway bar. i think it's just a matter of personal preference. i have Yamaha's big bar engine guard:

Prairieboy likes this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 07:20 PM

Garage
The issue that the guard interferes with the foot controls is only if the pegs are placed too low. The slope of the guard like the one pictured above can be an issue. If the slope is not at 90 degrees to the ground then some highway pegs will not fit at 90 degrees to the bar and your foot pegs would face downward so you feet would just slide off. There are a couple that would work with this type of bar so just be careful what ones you buy. A bar like the Cobra one is fine and you can buy any highway peg for that. The only consideration is where you want to place the peg on the bars. Obviously if it's too low it will interfere with your shifter and brake. Try a mock up first to see where you would feel comfortable having them and then decide if you want to go that route.

Having an engine guard without the highway pegs is ok too as it protects your bike and does look nice. You can also get the pegs that attach to your floorboards to give you another foot position if the highway pegs don't work out for you.
Prairieboy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 07:24 PM

Garage
I also have the guard from Yamaha. Installed it myself in a few minutes. Fit and performance are great.
Prairieboy likes this.

You're never really lost on a bike. You're just riding somewhere you haven't ridden before.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 07:50 PM
KCW

Garage
the engine "crash bar" on my Royal Star does not interfere with any of the controls

but it does keep me from sliding my left foot out sideways, if I have my toe on the shifter (every time I stop) I have to pull my foot back a few inches, then sideways, or I cant put my foot down.

I dropped the bike once while doing a slow U turn and not looking where I wanted the bike to go. It protected the bike and me perfectly... but I later wonder if I had gotten my foot blocked by it, and that kept me from getting my foot down, causing the spill. It happened so fast the bike was on its side before I realized what was happening... so I dont know.

A heavy 700 lb bike is easy to drop, because if you lean it over just a little bit while not moving forward, it can get away from you. Im keeping the crash bar on the Royal Star... might put one on my 650 too.
Prairieboy likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, I had been leaning toward buying the Yamaha Big Bar or the Lindby.

But Bevo1981 , I like the look of the one on your Bike so that might have swayed my decision to go with the Big bar.

Thanks again
bevo1981 likes this.

2016 950 Tourer
K&N Air Filter,
Power commander V

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 12:38 PM

I have a Lindby engine guard on mine. Gives the bike a different look. Had the dealer install it for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190207_155639_1552412273195.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	83578  
Prairieboy likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 10:44 PM

I crashed my 2011 950 few weeks ago and i learned what there called crash bars for they saved my bike still spent 800 for fender headlight and new bars which were around 200 of that
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Update !!!

Just an update on my original post. After a lot of consideration, I decided to order the Lindby Unibar and a set of Hwy pegs.

I just finished installing the Unibar and hwy. pegs and am happy with the look and results. Pretty straight forward install took less than an hour.

I have attached a few pictures. The roads here still have to much Ice, water, sand on them to go for a ride. But the snow is melting !!!

I'm hoping to get out for a rip soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190323_134209.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	83646   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190323_142457.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	83648   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190323_142336.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	83650  
Yamaha Pat and Boots like this.

2016 950 Tourer
K&N Air Filter,
Power commander V

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode