Star 650 Carb Remove, Clean, Rebuild, Reinstall, ReSync Video Series - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By jcrubin
  • 1 Post By jcrubin
  • 1 Post By blissman20

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Star 650 Carb Remove, Clean, Rebuild, Reinstall, ReSync Video Series

In a previous video I discussed the possibility of cleaning the jets on this bike without removing the carb in certain conditions where they get plugged due to ethanol. In most cases there are issues where the carbs must be removed for a complete break-down and rebuild. This video begins with the removal of components from the bike required to remove the carbs from the bike. This also includes the emptying of the take of any remaining gasoline into a canister.

Basically with the removal of the gas tank, the carb is exposed to work can begin in and around the carb to detach components from it. This includes the air filter assembly , hoses and air-box. The choke and throttle cables, electrical connections, and fuel-line.

Loosening the carb off of the manifold is all that is required to unseal them by gently rocking them and then pulling up. They can be lifted up and out of the bike. The manifold ports and inspected and then stuffed with clean paper towels to stop contamination.

With this the carbs are moved to the cleaning table for inspection and its already apparent that one slide is binding. The separation of the carb begins by removing the brackets. Working on one carb at a time, complete disassembly is accomplished, each part is inspected for damage and dirt.

**NOTE as I was working on AC this week I referred to the Emulsion tube as an Orifice tube***

On this carb there was a definite corruption on the lower end, which will require a more intense cleaning. With everything stripped, the cleaning begins, one piece at a time the O ring had to be replaced on the bowl for the solenoid. It was solid.

Every passage was cleaned out and checked for flow with carb cleaner. When it was shown to be clean and flowing good, it was all blown out on the compressor, after which, assembly will begin as demonstrated.

A test is done to ensure air tight integrity of the float bowl needle seal.

The second carb, reassembly and testing continues in the second video.

lesblank, KCW and JonMaz2112 like this.

CVM CATAPVLTAE PROSCRIPTAE ERVNT TVM SOLI PROSCRIPTI CATAPVLTAS HABEBVNT
http://technocoma.blogspot.com
https://www.youtube.com/c/jordanrubin6502
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Continuing in the second half of this series, the second carb is now disassembled, this one has some minor differences such as idle speed adjustment, however upon opening this carb was found to be much cleaner inside as compared to the first. It will still be completely disassembled and cleaned like the first, it just wont be as difficult.

Once the carb is cleaned and reassembled, it is time to bring both carbs back together. I note an important mistake I made in the video and corrected on a spring between the throttle linkages and balancing adjustment that I had done accidentally earlier and then fixed. A quick discussion worth having about the solenoids which throw errors because they are expensive and easy to fix so measurements are taken to show what they look like when working and how an open is repaired. Also a check of TPS is conducted as well.

At this point the carb was reassembled back onto the bike with each connection reconnected exactly opposite as removed. Once the system was closed up fuel was added with an affixed funnel allowing the pump to purge the air until the carbs were filled to leaks could be checked for. Also checking up to for flooding from a stuck float.

The next Phase has the air-box and attached hardware all the way through to the air filter installed back onto the bike. We throw on the tank right quick add a little gas to give it a test run. I realize I should have used the pump to purge the old gas in the system, but it was not terrible so I would just let it burn through.

Satisfied with the initial run of the bike I let it cool down so that the rest of the assembly can be completed. Once the assembly is completed, the bike is again brought to full temperature so that the carbs can be balanced.

After the bike was balanced and throttle response was tested. The boss lady took the bike for a test drive, having checked the brakes, oil and added air into the tires. I too took it for my own test drive on the gopro. Happy with the performance, the project is brought to an end.

JonMaz2112 likes this.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:27 AM

Awesome work! Video is very informative! I’ve cleaned hundreds of carbs and enjoy watching how other people do it so I can see other tips and tricks. I usual do a dry soda blast after a good diesel soak. It looks like you are getting the same result with less mess. I have a Quick question about the products you are using. What is rem oil? What metal polish are you using? Also is that carb cleaner or brake cleaner?
JonMaz2112 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissman20 View Post
Awesome work! Video is very informative! Iíve cleaned hundreds of carbs and enjoy watching how other people do it so I can see other tips and tricks. I usual do a dry soda blast after a good diesel soak. It looks like you are getting the same result with less mess. I have a Quick question about the products you are using. What is rem oil? What metal polish are you using? Also is that carb cleaner or brake cleaner?
Its a gun oil with teflon, you can find it in a green bottle at wal mart

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode