Fuel coming out of vent tube - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By LoupGarou
  • 1 Post By Kcreech
  • 2 Post By Kcreech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Fuel coming out of vent tube

I have an 05 vstar 1100 classic. Went out to get it started and ready for summer and fuel is coming out of the vent tube. Pulled carbs and cleaned and also put in new seals and new float needles. got it all back together and still have the same issue. Ive ordered new floats and will pull carbs again once they arrive. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:51 AM
KCW

Garage
when you put the bike away for the winter did you add a fuel stabilizer to the gas in the tank?

10% ethanol will get gummy and have little lumps of jell if you dont. If not you will have to drain the tank, and pull the line off the carbs and let the fuel pump run for a few seconds (cycle the ignition switch to run position without hitting the starter) to blow out anything in the fuel pump... also change the fuel filter.. then fill the tank with fresh gas, add 4 or 5 ounces of Seafoam, let that flush thru your fuel pump for a couple key-on cycles...

and then your carbs might flush out with the clean gas after a few minutes.... If the floats keep getting stuck after that, then you will have to take them apart again

if you left the gas tank empty all winter it might have rusted up on you. Rust will plug your jets if it gets thru the fuel filter, but it normally wont make the floats stick open.

since we are on the internet I have to add: if you drain your tank and dont know how to get rid of the jelly gas, I would not put it in a car, and dont try to burn it or anything like that. If you put it outside in a bucket where it wont fill up with rain, it will evaporate in a few days. If you can find a place to take it, thats much better.

Just to cover all the bases, you are sure its the carb overflow tube, and not a gas tank overflow vent tube? If you fill your gas tank to the top in the winter cold, when it warms up in the spring the gas expands and it will either come out the tank vent tube (if your bike has one) or it will force its way out thru the gas cap, covering your tank with gas. If you have not taken the gas cap off, make sure the tank is not full to the brim.

Also when you change the floats and needle valves, you do have to adjust the shutoff position.

Last edited by KCW; 03-18-2019 at 09:00 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:53 AM
Premium Member

Sounds like you are on the right track, either a float needle is sticking or a float has a hole. You can remove the floats and check them in water for a leak. I would imagine that you verified that they are moving freely.
KCW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I broke the carbs down yesterday and cleaned the jets also. There was minimal gumming but took everything apart anyway and cleaned it up. My tank doesn't have a vent tube on it. Im assuming its the floats but dont want to tear it all down a third time if not necessary. It starts coming out as soon as the kill swith is moved to run without even hitting the ignition. Ill go thru it thoroughly this time with all suggestions in mind.
KCW likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:07 AM
KCW

Garage
let us know how the bike was stored

it would be good feedback for others to know what led to the floats sticking, if there was a fuel stabilizer, or if you let the bike run with the petcock off to drain the fuel from the float bowls.

Even though this problem is a crappy situation for you, its good info for what works and what doesnt when storing a bike.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

All i did to store the bike was turn the fuel off and ran gas out of the bowls. Im not convincex they were completely empty now.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Well i found the issue. There is a small bubble/nipple on the bottom of the floats. As the bowls filled that nipple gets hung on some raised numbers stamped on the inside of the carb. I filed the bubble down, checked it for leaks, and it now works like a champ. Thanks again for the advice
lesblank and KCW like this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:56 AM

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you fixed it.

T

2014 V Star 1300 "The Red Lady" Hard bags and Trunk, Denali Air horn, Ivan-ized ECU, K & N air filer, Slipstream Windshield, Shark Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode