Drive Belt - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Drive Belt

Hey everyone, I know this topic comes up every once in a while (Because I searched the forums and read most of those threads) but I'm looking for advice on where to get a drive belt for my 2015 Vstar 950 tourer and not spend a fortune. I've looked at a lot of the resources mentioned in previous threads, but since new sites and sources appear all the time, I thought I throw this out there and see what I get. My local shop can get the OEM belt for $450, but has no other options.

FWIW, I have a little over 15000 miles on the bike, it seems to me like the drive belt should last longer, but I'm pretty sure it's slipping when I accelerate too hard. I'm attaching a picture of the belt, too, because it'd be nice to have another opinion about the wear on it.

While we're discussing drive belt, does anyone know the spec on that belt? Ie, length, teeth per inch, etc?

Thanks everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190319_094957.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	83624  

Jason
2015 Vstar 950 Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post
FWIW, I have a little over 15000 miles on the bike, it seems to me like the drive belt should last longer, but I'm pretty sure it's slipping when I accelerate too hard.
15k miles is a very short belt life. Gear teeth issue? Way too tight or loose?

Attaching a shot of my 2010 950's belt at 20k miles.

Also found this thread on starbikeforums:
https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...belt-life.html

A quick search on the web was more frustrating than enlightening. A currently popular video shows a sportster with a snapped belt. Looks like a clean break at its joint. The guy says that it broke after 26 years. Didn't mention the miles, so that wasn't much help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	belt_20000_miles.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	83626  

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Last edited by graybeard; 03-19-2019 at 12:42 PM.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:40 PM
KCW

Garage
If the belt is slipping it must be way too loose - it should last 100,000 miles no matter how hard you ride.

you might not need a new belt, the notches are rounded off on a good belt (like grey beards)

read the link on proper belt tension

be aware though, if you set it too tight it will destroy the bearings in the rear wheel quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 02:31 PM

Garage
You sure itís not your clutch slipping when you get on it hard?
KCW and arby like this.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It's not the clutch, I can feel the teeth skipping on the gear

Jason
2015 Vstar 950 Tourer
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
If the belt is slipping it must be way too loose - it should last 100,000 miles no matter how hard you ride.

you might not need a new belt, the notches are rounded off on a good belt (like grey beards)

read the link on proper belt tension

be aware though, if you set it too tight it will destroy the bearings in the rear wheel quickly.
I just had the rear wheel replaced by the dealer. I'm assuming the Yamaha Certified repair center would tension the belt properly. Maybe I should take it back over and have them check it.

Jason
2015 Vstar 950 Tourer
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 06:04 PM
KCW

Garage
^ that is a debug trap we all fall into

something is wrong with your bike, if the belt did not slip before you took it to the dealer, and now it slips
that is a single point failure

sometimes things go wrong, someone gets distracted while working on the bike, and then skips adjusting it...

there is a little gauge thing you can get to check the belt tension, and Im sure there are other ways you can ball-park check it
but yeah... you got 85,000 miles left before you should have to think about replacing it

take it back, if its loose, and its buggered up now, they owe you a new belt.

if they adjust this belt, and it works ok, thats good too.

Last edited by KCW; 03-19-2019 at 06:07 PM.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

my belt had to be replaced at 30k miles because it started slipping. verified by a collaboration between an independent mechanic who consulted Yamaha directly to diagnose the issue as the belt having stretched out too much. he said he had never seen it happen before. my current belt has almost 60k miles on it now and still going strong. if your belt has been stretched out, you're not gonna tell just by eyeballing it.

the yamaha specs on belt tension for this model is just wrong. just look at any 950 forum enough and you'll see. the manual suggests 3-5mm of belt tension at 10lbs. but 7-9mm is where it likes to be. so if your shop tightened it to yamaha specs, it should be loosened a tad. check your tension and loosen it if it's too tight and see how it runs then.

$290.53
https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oem...826/rear-wheel

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 11:41 AM

After a yamaha shop changed out my rear wheel, it wasn't on straight (by just alittle though), and the belt tension was at 28mm. I noticed it slipped, and check it, readjusted it to 8mm, and haven't had any more issues with it, and straightened the wheel.

The belt spec is 14mm teeth width. You will have to measure it over a good many teeth to tell if it is stretched. Plus, it might only be stretched at one spot on the belt, and not uniformly. Ideally check like 10-20 teeth or so at a time, and make sure they are 140, or 280mm in length all the way around the belt. Not much fun doing it on the bike, expecially a tour model, and just as annoying to take it off the bike.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 06:07 PM

Garage
I'm on my 3rd belt at 24K miles. But, let me explain.

I picked up a piece of asphalt in one of the belt grooves at about 4K miles. Noticed it jumping a tooth only under hard acceleration. Took me a while to find the blob and by then the belt was ruined. Belt #2 was ruined when the front drive pulley worked loose and started to wobble. Didn't find that until the belt wore and started squeaking.

Inspect the belt for damage or foreign stuff very carefully.

If you determine that you do need a new belt, I found my best price from:
https://bignumberone.dealerspikepart...c/yamaha/parts

Ordering online saved me about $100 off the normal list price elsewhere. (Tried a phone order and the price went back up to normal list.)

You're never really lost on a bike. You're just riding somewhere you haven't ridden before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode