Carburetor and gas cap issues - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Carburetor and gas cap issues

I have a 2000 v-star 1100, that will soon be in my name. I should mention that the bike has been sitting for several years, while I am taking care of most of the problems I've run across this far there are a couple of issues that elude me. The first being the gas cap isn't opening the key fits and rotates but nothing happens, I am concerned that the time it has been sitting has caused the mechanism to rust out enough to not function. Is there any way I can disassemble it enough to remove it or can I just brake it apart and find a new one?
The other issue I have found in my process of cleaning is the butterflies were locked up I have freed them enough that they move fully but they don't return without help, I'm not wanting to disassemble the full thing so I don't have to resync. What are my options?

Safety First, Comfort Second, Speed Always.
Consider, your decisions often affect others more than you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:16 PM

Garage
Right after I bought my 1100 I lost my only key. Yes I know it was dumb not having a spare. To remove my gas cap I took a large flat blade screw driver and hammered into gas cap lock and used vice grips on screw driver to break lock. It actually broke very easily. If you go this route you will have access to the inside of the two slides that lock the gas cap. You could then use penetration oil to combat the rust. I would try penetration oil in the key hole and tap with rubber mallet to work oil into locking mechanism for a few days before I broke the lock. Sounds like you have corrosion on the Carb sides causing the slides not to move freely. Be careful with slides, they break easily. Your best bet would be to disassemble and clean. Syncing carbs is easy and you can bench sync and get really close. Follow link: https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...irs/carburetor

CanadianMohawk and JonMaz2112 like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The slides were near fine took a little cleaning to free up, it's the linkage in the middle that's sticking and I don't have the pins to replace if I took them apart. I will try the hammer trick tomorrow though, thank you
lesblank likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:02 PM

Garage
Your bike didn't get in it's present shape overnight, don't get frustrated. The end result will be worth it. Patience with the penetration oil. Another trick that has worked for me is heat. A hairdryer on high makes enough heat to assist penetration oil getting into tight spaces. Keep us informed.
CanadianMohawk likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So my bowl orings came in and I am working on the carbs I figured out that the right side carb works freely but the large pin (center of the image) that holds the sync points is what hangs up, I can seam to get it off to clean it but I am likely not trying properly. How would I go about cleaning this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190403_103226069_1554303554012.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	83736  

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:37 AM

Garage
These video's are very helpful and may have your answer:

Current Bike:
2008 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic

Previous Bikes:
2005 Yamaha YZF-R6T
1990 Kawasaki EX-500
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Got it out, cleaned up, and back on so now I'm rebuilding everything the lower airbox is a pain but I'll get it soon. Still haven't tried the gas cap yet.
CanadianMohawk likes this.

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So everything is back together except everything that needs to wait for the gas tank. But question, does the speedometer's connector need to be connected for the bike to crank or do I need to be concerned about the other issues like a bad solenoid or starter?

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Update time. I walked out to the tank today with some of my largest tools fully prepared to mangle the cap, on my way I had the thought of the used oil and some nearly empty bar oil we had in the shed and figured I would give one last attempt at the gentle method. The bar oil didn't even have the full opportunity to get worked in when I tried and it popped right off like it hasn't been sitting at all.
I have it sitting in a jar of vinegar and in a few hours I will disassemble clean thoroughly and possibly get some graphite spray, and Loctite.

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:25 AM

Garage
excellent. See? All it takes is some patience. One step at a time.

"But question, does the speedometer's connector need to be connected for the bike to crank or do I need to be concerned about the other issues like a bad solenoid or starter?"

Is it not cranking or are you just asking before you try? I don't actually know the answer, but if it was me, a if it wasn't cranking, then I'd connect it and go from there. Then you'll know.

Current Bike:
2008 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic

Previous Bikes:
2005 Yamaha YZF-R6T
1990 Kawasaki EX-500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode