Greasing the 1100 Final Drive Splines? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Greasing the 1100 Final Drive Splines?

I'm new to shaft drive bikes and I keep reading how when the rear wheel is off, the splines should get lubed. I've also heard about how easy of a job it is to do.

My 2008 1100 has only 3000kms on the odometer and sat for 3 years before I got it up an running again at the end of last summer which I put on 1200 of those 3000kms.

Due to age, I plan on changing the rear gear oil before I get it back on the road this year and figure that since I also already have rear fender off, I might better remove the rear wheel and grease the splines while I am at it. Will it even need this considering how low mileage is on it?

Assume it should be done, Does anyone have an easy to follow how-to? Is this it?
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...irs/driveshaft

Because when I read #10 and it talks about removing the rubber boot and how difficult it is, it doesn't sound as easy as I've been reading. Can I get away with just greasing the drive shaft splines and the splines in the rear wheel hub as seen in the picture above #7 and #8?
KCW likes this.

Current Bike:
2008 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic

Previous Bikes:
2005 Yamaha YZF-R6T
1990 Kawasaki EX-500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:32 AM
KCW

Garage
the drive splines are "greased for life" at the factory

unless you have reason to think a previous owner took the rear wheel off, wiped off the proper 60% moly paste and put axle grease on (which will ruin the splines in about 5000 km), there is no reason to take the wheel off just to lube the shaft drive

Yamaha did a really great job of making the shaft drive maintenance free - all you need to do is change the final drive 80W90 oil every 20k miles or so.

Un Fortunately.... a few VS650 bikes got out of the factory in late 1990s, that were not properly lubed from the factory, or mechanics early on were wiping the 60% moly lube off and putting axle grease on them, and a bunch of drive shaft splines were destroyed in the early 2000 year timeframe. Ever since then people have been skiddish about the "greased for life" claim, and want to lube all the splines everytime they have the back wheel off.

BTW, Its not necessary to take the boot off the back of the transmission to lube that spine - wipe the spline down when its off, put the proper new lube on it, and cram it back in.

Whenever you pull the back wheel off take a good look at the splines. If they look like new and the moly (turns back I think) looks good then put a bit more on the ones that are exposed, and dont worry about the rest, unless you just want to. If the splines are dry and show wear, then get to all of them and inspect and lube.

You also need to be concerned if you take your bike to 6 Finger Jim's Bike Shop to have the back tire replaced. Anyone that is not familiar with shaft drive proper lube cannot be trusted. 60% moly paste IS expensive, some shops dont have it.
CanadianMohawk and JonMaz2112 like this.

Last edited by KCW; 04-04-2019 at 10:38 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well that's comforting. No, I doubt any of the PO's during it's 1900K life before I got it did anything to the rear wheel, let alone it's splines. Heck, they barely even rode it!

I'm going to just let it be then and just change the final drive oil, which must be broken down by now even if it's got nearly zero kilometers on it.

thx

Current Bike:

Previous Bikes:
2005 Yamaha YZF-R6T
1990 Kawasaki EX-500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 03:35 PM

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...irs/driveshaft yamaha did not use the proper grease at the factory lots of guys have ground up the hub splines. pull the wheel wipe off the hub and use moly 60 or similar modern substitute.. if your new to the 1100 read the first section "must know"page one.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
thanks Nick. That's the link I posted in my original thread. The link which states to remove a rubber boot which also states "is extremely difficult to remove, and must be pried out with considerable force"

Also, KCW says that the issue you talk about was resolved in later model years Yamaha and mine is a 2008 with very low mileage on it and that it's likely not necessary to remove the wheel and do this for the sole purpose of doing it and I can likely safely wait until a tire change is done when the wheel is coming off anyhow.

Current Bike:

Previous Bikes:
2005 Yamaha YZF-R6T
1990 Kawasaki EX-500
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 04:33 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/00-Yamaha-X...kAAOSw3Bhag1hM the spline in photo 8 is inside the differential. heres a better photo of the spline you don't need to take the boot off.
KCW and CanadianMohawk like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 07:17 PM

I would grease the splines if I were you. There are plenty of late model 1100's that have had final drive failures because of lack of maintenance. The tech's at our local Yamaha shop have never used moly on final drives just plain old axle grease. Personally I use Yamaha moly grease which doesn't have as high of moly content as the paste but I grease my final drive every winter. (I like working on my bike in the off season.) How do I know about late model bikes with final drive failures? I bought a 2009 Silverado with 21000 miles that had a toasted final drive. The owner stated that he changed gear oil regularly but never looked at the splines because he was under the impression they were good for life. I bought the bike cheap and got a low mileage final drive off ebay for $110 and pretty much been all I have had to do to the bike except for regular maintenance. It has been super reliable and easy to maintain. Going to amend my first statement. I just saw your bike only has 3000km on it, I would just check it the first time you do a tire change or have the rear wheel removed. Good luck and happy riding!
KCW and CanadianMohawk like this.

PEACE and BLESSINGS

Last edited by Grizzer; 04-04-2019 at 07:23 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzer View Post
I would grease the splines if I were you. There are plenty of late model 1100's that have had final drive failures because of lack of maintenance. The tech's at our local Yamaha shop have never used moly on final drives just plain old axle grease. Personally I use Yamaha moly grease which doesn't have as high of moly content as the paste but I grease my final drive every winter. (I like working on my bike in the off season.) How do I know about late model bikes with final drive failures? I bought a 2009 Silverado with 21000 miles that had a toasted final drive. The owner stated that he changed gear oil regularly but never looked at the splines because he was under the impression they were good for life. I bought the bike cheap and got a low mileage final drive off ebay for $110 and pretty much been all I have had to do to the bike except for regular maintenance. It has been super reliable and easy to maintain. Going to amend my first statement. I just saw your bike only has 3000km on it, I would just check it the first time you do a tire change or have the rear wheel removed. Good luck and happy riding!

Thanks. And thanks to Nick for the follow up. That ebay pic did actually help me for when the time comes.

I do find this part of your post quote interesting.

"The tech's at our local Yamaha shop have never used moly on final drives just plain old axle grease"

If find it interesting because the service manual says this about greasing the drive shaft, page 6-14

"Recommended lubricant
Molydenum disulfide grease"

So the local Yamaha Shops Tech's are not following the Service Manual? I get that I have no idea who made and distributed that shop manual and it could actually not be what Yamaha is recommending to use, but that seems odd to me. I think i read somewhere that regular axle grease breaks down far to fast for this type of application. But I'm just an armchair mechanic so I really don't know.

Current Bike:

Previous Bikes:
2005 Yamaha YZF-R6T
1990 Kawasaki EX-500
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:54 AM

Exactly why I do all the maintenance on my bike and never rely on anyone else. I know the work has been done correctly. I have heard too many horror stories about bikes being "repaired or maintained" at the dealership. Not saying they are all unreliable and if you have a good mechanic you are golden but I like knowing exactly what has been done to my bike. It is one of the reasons I like the 1100 so much, easy to work on and maintain.
KCW, CanadianMohawk and Rufus49 like this.

PEACE and BLESSINGS
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:49 AM
Premium Member

Garage
I bought a 2005 v star 650 with 17,000 miles on it. The former owner could not confirm or deny any maintenance had been done beyond oil and filter changes. When I pulled the drive shaft out, I could see the shaft had been greased but with chassis grease not molly lube. Fortunately, no damage had been done. While inspecting the swing arm bearings, I found chassis grease had also been used to pack the bearings resulting in both bearings and races losing the hard face. My experience is something you may want to consider when trying to decide whether to do maintenance or not.
CanadianMohawk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode