V Star 950 Rear Turn signal bulbs - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question V Star 950 Rear Turn signal bulbs

Hi All,

Just installed a Kuryakyn 4612 conversion kit so my rear turn signals turn in to running and extra brake lights. After a minor mishap where I broke the retainer clips off the brown and blue wires I was ready to swap the rear lens covers and bulbs but the rear bulbs are Amber and I need either clear or red bulbs. I tried AutoZone but they did not have what I needed. The catalog did not list a number for the bulbs. Would anybody have the bulb number? IE 1157 etc? Any help would be appreciated I have a 2009 V Star 950 Touring. The pins on the light bulb body are slightly offset down as opposed to a 1157 bulb where the pins are straight across.

Thank You!
Keith Post likes this.

09 V Star 950

Be seen and be heard! Bright lights and loud pipes!

Enjoy the ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:30 PM

Garage
They are an 1156

Edit: They could be a 7507 like my 1300, but an 1156 is basically the same bulb.
Keith Post and Redbird58 like this.

"Those extreme-sports kids today are good, but they have it easy. Try falling off of a motorcycle going 70 or 80 miles per hour on asphalt. Believe me, nothing equals it." - Evel Knievel

*07 V-Star 1300 - Hypercharger, PCS Monster Pro unbaffled, solo riding setup*
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 09:54 PM

Garage
Mfwright is correct. I added the same kit to my 09 950 tourer and traded out the halogen bulbs for LED red ones. Huge difference in visibility and it looks cool when activated, because the rear lights flash three times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Redbird58 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Keith, Thanks for the quick reply. Did you change the lens cover or just add the red led bulb?
Keith Post likes this.

09 V Star 950

Be seen and be heard! Bright lights and loud pipes!

Enjoy the ride
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:47 PM

I personally just added a red led bulb on mine for tail/brake.

Also for reference the front turn signals will be 1157 also. I swapped mine out with switchback 1157 led, white/amber. If you have passing lights, it might have been converted to a 1156 though, I don't have passing lights on mine.

One the dirt bike instrument guage, it has blue/green/red, and instead of getting several different colors (seems if I pick a brand I can get blue or green but not both). I just tested with a white led, and it worked for all of them, so just ordered white all around.
Redbird58 likes this.

Last edited by patrickdk; 04-07-2019 at 08:30 PM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:03 PM

Garage
OK, I put this kit on my '15 950T when I bought it. Currently using the 1156 bulbs but would like LED's. All the LED's I can find say nothing about changing brightness with voltage. The 1156 bulbs in there now are half bright normally, but get full bright when brakes or turn signal is used. Do your LED's work that way or they just on / off?

Thanks in advance.
Redbird58 likes this.

You're never really lost on a bike. You're just riding somewhere you haven't ridden before.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:30 PM

I mistyped, 1156 are single, and 1157 are dual

That is how 1157's work.

Bulbs don't change based on voltage, as the voltage should always be 12v.

The 1157 have two inputs, one input is for 5w brightness, and the other input is for 21w brightness. Depending on what wire has power depends on how bright it is (like your headlight bulb). Except normally on these the low power one stays on all the time unlike your headlight.

The 5w input is used for your running lights, or tail light. the 21w input is used for turn signals and brake light.

Depending on the LED you use, if it's single color, it will work the same exact way as above.

If your using a switchback led, that means it will change color depending on the input, and normally (I haven't seen any) not change brightness, both inputs will be full brightness. So you wouldn't use a switchback led on your brake light.
But using a switchback led on a turnsignal light means the normal low power amber running lights you have on the front will now be full brightness white, and when you use your turn signals they will change to full bright blinking yellow.

https://www.amazon.com/SiriusLED-Ext.../dp/B0105LW4CK
Ones like this one will either adjust the led voltage, or only light some of the leds on low, and use full voltage or power all the leds on high brightness. LED's normally run in the 1-3volts range, so they always have to convert it in the bulb from 12v.

https://www.amazon.com/SiriusLED-Swi...gateway&sr=8-6
These will run full brightnes on both low and high, except low is white, and high is amber (turn signals).

Be careful when changing out your turn signals with LED though. You need to make adjustments or replace your flasher unit with an electronic flasher, and maybe add diodes to your turn signal indicator.

Some LED's only power one way, and you have to flip them if they don't light (1156/1157 you cant flip, but like the car reverse/turn light ones, T10's) you will probably be fine.
If your LED is nicer and works both ways (they have diodes in it to idiot proof it), then your your likely get 4way flash on all your turn lights.

Sorry, I misunderstood, that brake controller gives tail light to the turn signals using lower voltage.
Redbird58 likes this.

Last edited by patrickdk; 04-07-2019 at 09:09 PM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdk View Post

Sorry, I misunderstood, that brake controller gives tail light to the turn signals using lower voltage.
Exactly. So I guess I'm looking for a red led replacement for Kuryakyn 4620. Sent them (Kuryakyn) a message last night asking about it but have NOT received a reply yet.

You're never really lost on a bike. You're just riding somewhere you haven't ridden before.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:43 PM

Garage
Best bet is to look for a BAW15s or PR21W if you want old style incandescent bulbs, or 7507 for LED.
Here's a link for the LED
Keith Post and Redbird58 like this.

"Those extreme-sports kids today are good, but they have it easy. Try falling off of a motorcycle going 70 or 80 miles per hour on asphalt. Believe me, nothing equals it." - Evel Knievel

*07 V-Star 1300 - Hypercharger, PCS Monster Pro unbaffled, solo riding setup*
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:48 PM

Garage
Redbird I changed the lens covers to red also. Custom Dynamics carries and were great to deal with.
The LED bulbs and red lenses gave it a very deep red look enhancing more visibility. I also added an LED license plate frame that I wired into the Kuryayken unit giving me even more visibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Redbird58 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode