250 Virago question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

250 Virago question

Since the Virago name is no more and the bike still exists as the 250 V-Star, I'll ask this question here. Please forgive me if this is really old news. I have not yet spent any time rummaging around older threads so its possible I am far behind the power curve as to "common knowledge" on this question.

Ok, here goes: Why in sin did Star designers fake the rear exhaust pipe??? This question has been rolling around in my head since I discovered the deception.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:56 PM

Fake? It is a twin, correct?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Yep. V twin. A side view shows a pipe from the front going down to the muffler and a pipe from the rear also going down, as is normal.

Closer inspection however, and it'll take a close inspection, shows that the rear "pipe" doesn't even contact the head. Its a fake. The real exhaust pipe from the rear cylinder is a small pipe going directly down, hidden from view by the outside world. It connects up with the goats belly (or whatever Star calls it) that then connects into the rear cylinder's muffler. You can hold the visible rear exhaust pipe with you hands all day long while its running and it'll never heat up because the exhaust gases never flow inside it.

So from the rear, you do have exhaust coming from both pipes.

I just wonder why this setup when it'd be just as easy to actually have the rear pipe act just as the front pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

As seen here it looks normal. But in the second picture the pencil is touching a bracket that secures the end of the pipe. You can't see more detail in the picture but sticking your nose up close to the thing its obvious that the pipe ends there. It doesn't complete its journey to the head.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Virago twin pipes.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	83786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear pipe ends at this bracket.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	83788  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:59 PM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750 Chris View Post
...You can hold the visible rear exhaust pipe with you hands all day long while its running and it'll never heat up because the exhaust gases never flow inside it.

So from the rear, you do have exhaust coming from both pipes.
I had to google this, it came up several years ago and I still cant figure out whats what

your two statements are conflicting

if exhaust is coming out the two rear pipes, they must both get hot

earlier discussions stated the 2 cylinders combine into one muffler "box thing" which then goes out both rear pipes.

I dont know why they would try to hide a 2 into 1 exhaust setup - there are many bikes with multiple cylinders into one muffler, there are trades-offs from doing independent mufflers for each cylinder vs a combined muffler.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Allow me attempt to clarify any confusing statements I may have made. In the picture you see a standard looking setup of two exhaust pipes coming from the cylinders of a V-twin motor.

As we know the pipes that you actually see are normally just covers for the real exhaust pipe (or tube) that resides within.

The forward pipe that you see here is like that, a fully functioning "exhaust pipe". It gets hot when the motor is running because the actual exhaust tube inside gets hot as all get-go. Fine.

The rear pipe that you see does not even touch the head. It is completely hollow inside with no exhaust gases flowing through it. It is there for decoration only.

The rear cylinder actual exhaust tube that really exhausts the gases, is almost entirely hidden. From the rear head exhaust port, the bare tube then drops vertically down until it hooks into the goat's belly which then goes into the upper muffler corresponding to the rear cylinder muffler.

If you touch the rear cylinder pipe when it is running, it'll be cold because there is nothing in it. The rear cylinder muffler, however, will be hot as gases do pass through it.

Did this clear up any confusion?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Virago twin pipes.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	83790  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

I had the bike easily 10 years before I found this out. I found it out when looking at a website for aftermarket exhausts for this bike (don't remember their name now) and in that website it mentioned the fake exhaust. I had to go out in the garage to verify it and sure enough, they were right.

Boy did I feel like a dummy for not knowing that all of those years.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:10 PM
KCW

Garage
they have been putting the outer heat shield on MC exhaust pipes for many years now - it use to be just a chromed steel pipe coming right off the heads, and if you touched it with your arm or bare leg you got a nice football shaped burn scar.

On the 250 it looks like they could not get the heat shield and the inner exhaust pipe in the space together, so they ran the 'inner' pipe completely away from the shield.

Im sure there is an engineering story behind this at yamaha.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Oh I agree. There's a reason for it. I'm just not sure what it would be and was curious to see if this was a point of conversation along the way where someone knew the answer.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:16 PM

Garage
Wow just found this...it actually looks like it was set up to be a 2 to 1, with the look of 2 to 2. I've saw a video of someone cutting it down and attaching it to the top muffler and turning it into a 2-2. Strange!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode