Windshield for a 950 V-Star - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Windshield for a 950 V-Star

Last year, I installed a Memphis Shades "El Paso" windshield on my 950 V-Star. The "El Paso" was one of the few models which they make, which is recommended for a 950 V Star. It wasn't cheap. I opted for the quick release version. Although I'm happy with the quality of the product, I'm very unhappy with every other aspect. This windshield comes in heights of 13", 15", 17", and 19". Since I'm only 5'6" tall, I opted for their 15" windshield. I love how it looks on the bike!

Unfortunately, after installing this windshield on the bike, my head suffers more wind buffeting than with no windshield at all. I looked into the matter and discovered that Memphis Shades and other windshield manufacturers recommend that the proper windshield height should be about the same height as a riders' nose (or lips). So.....I took a yardstick and clamped it to the windshield with one end of that yardstick at the bottom of the windshield (just above the headlight). I "looped" a string around the yardstick so that the string loop could slide up and down, and attached a line level to the string. I held the other end of the string in my teeth and had my wife slide the string up the stick until the bubble in the level indicated that everything was level. Well...it seems that I need a 21-22" windshield height!!!! I'm not sure how the manufacturer can say this models fits a 950 V-Star when a person 5'6" tall needs one (according to their own height recommendations),which is 2-3" taller than anything they make. ???

Anyway, I believe there may be other options available from other manufacturers which might provide the proper height. I'm hoping to find something that is quick release and does not mount to the handlebars. The tourer-model OEM windshields look OK and appear to be taller than what I have....but unless they changed something they didn't offer them in a quick release version. I'm also concerned that the OEM models might be too high. I'd rather look over the windshield than through it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something that might work for me? 950 riders....what are you using? I hope to take some long trips and those might be more comfortable if I had a proper windshield.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!
Keith Post likes this.

I'm just a short, fat, gray-haired, old guy, from Minnesota.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:21 PM

Try adding some lowers. Its amazing how much of the air flow happening "behind" the windshield actually comes from below and not above.

I don't have a clue if Memphis Shades sells lowers that fit the 950. If not its not all that difficult and actually quite fun to fabricate your own if you have access to some basic tools. Here's a link showing how a guy made some and also a pic of my home-made ones on my Vulcan: https://www.instructables.com/id/Mot...ow-deflectors/

In the picture of mine you can look through the clear plastic and see that (at the time the pic was taken) had not yet trimmed off the excess worm gear that clamps the things to the forks. You can make your own, of your own design and shell-out around $50 or less. Mine even have a notch in them so they don't contact the air filter housings when at full-turn.

Lowers will help in air flow control. They may, or may not, completely eliminate your head buffeting but they should surely won't hurt and add to the overall good appearance of your machine.

As to the height of your windshield, 22" seems like a lot. I'm not intimately familiar with the physical layout of the 950 or of your specific Memphis Shades product. Can that thing adjust upward? I have a National Cycles Low Boy Heavy Duty on my 750 and its set at around 17" high (I think. For some reason that number keeps popping into my head.) The windshield itself can adjust 3" or so. Anyway, the top is right around mouth height, and between that and my lowers, my 5'11" height doesn't experience but the faintest trace of buffeting. Surely not enough for me to be upset with.

Anyhow, my suggestion is to try adding lowers first. They will change the air flow from what it is to something better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RS New lowers and screen.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	83830  

750 Chris Here in this forum
750 Chris In VRA forum
750 Guy In VROC forum
Chris and Shim In vn750.com forum
Long retired USAF AMMO troop (74 to 95)
Fully retired now
2005 Yamaha Virago 250
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:41 PM
KCW

Garage
Something doesnt sound right with your measurement of the needed windshield height

Im 6' tall and have a 19" Memphis Shades "fats" on my 650 with the trigger locks.

were you sitting down on the bike like you would be sitting while riding?

do you have the windshield angle forward and back adjusted so its leaning as far back as possible?

You are 6" shorter than me, so maybe 3" lower from the seat to nose, so I dont see how you could need a 22" WS.

also you measure the WS from the top of its curve over the headlight, not from the headlight itself. you should be able to also adjust it up and down, so there is a bigger or smaller gap between the WS and headlight bucket.

but look at the rake angle first, and push it all the way forwards so its standing up as straight as possible.

Its also possible you have the top or bottom mounting brackets twisted too far one way or the other, making the windshield lean back further than its suppose to. When you turn the handlebars stop to stop, does the WS hit anything on the bike?

Take another shot at the setup, the instructions of the trigger mount are not very clear, and it is possible to put the clamps on the wrong way.

Look at the photo of my 650 in the garage page
<- over there - click on the thumbnail on the garage page to see the full size photo.

I think I had the WS raked as far forward as it would go in that photo - see how its more vertical than the front forks? you should be able to lean yours that far forward.

If your WS is in line with the forks, or leaning back even more, thats too much rake.

Last edited by KCW; 04-11-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:47 PM
KCW

Garage
...if you angle your WS as far forward as possible and pull it up in its slots as far as it will go, then a 15" WS might still be an inch or two too low for you.

If you get on the highway at 65mph and feel your eyes blurring and your head vibrating, try ducking your head down till you are looking thru the WS. The buffeting should stop at that point.

Lowers or "fork deflectors" might help, but if the WS is still too low when its all the way forward, they may not stop the buffeting.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/d...shields-mounts

i think i have the medium, which is 20". i'm 5'10", like to slouch a little when i ride, and i've never had a problem with buffeting.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:27 PM

Garage
Hi, Mike,

I ran into a similar thing with my 650 custom - I'm 5' -10" but a long torso and short legs - 30" inseam.

I started with a 19" Memphis Shades Fats and ended up with a 21" - even then I had to reverse the upper and lower clamps to get a more rearward windshield slant which eventually got rid of the buffeting - I also added the fork deflectors which helped a bit but the most noticeable was the slant.

Here's a pic of the 21" before the reversal of the clamps and increased slant.

Bill
2015 Yamaha V-Star XVS65A Classic
NOS purchased April, 2017
0.9 km on the odometer

Last edited by bfrench; 04-11-2019 at 06:31 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750 Chris View Post
Try adding some lowers. Its amazing how much of the air flow happening "behind" the windshield actually comes from below and not above.

I don't have a clue if Memphis Shades sells lowers that fit the 950. If not its not all that difficult and actually quite fun to fabricate your own if you have access to some basic tools. Here's a link showing how a guy made some and also a pic of my home-made ones on my Vulcan: https://www.instructables.com/id/Mot...ow-deflectors/

In the picture of mine you can look through the clear plastic and see that (at the time the pic was taken) had not yet trimmed off the excess worm gear that clamps the things to the forks. You can make your own, of your own design and shell-out around $50 or less. Mine even have a notch in them so they don't contact the air filter housings when at full-turn.

Lowers will help in air flow control. They may, or may not, completely eliminate your head buffeting but they should surely won't hurt and add to the overall good appearance of your machine.

As to the height of your windshield, 22" seems like a lot. I'm not intimately familiar with the physical layout of the 950 or of your specific Memphis Shades product. Can that thing adjust upward? I have a National Cycles Low Boy Heavy Duty on my 750 and its set at around 17" high (I think. For some reason that number keeps popping into my head.) The windshield itself can adjust 3" or so. Anyway, the top is right around mouth height, and between that and my lowers, my 5'11" height doesn't experience but the faintest trace of buffeting. Surely not enough for me to be upset with.

Anyhow, my suggestion is to try adding lowers first. They will change the air flow from what it is to something better.
Chris, Thank you for your reply and for the interesting info on fabricating lowers. The Memphis Shades windshield that I have is not adjustable for either height or tilt. The windshield follows the same anglulation as the fork. I wish I could raise or tilt it as that might solve my problem. The 950 and the 750 might have a different seat heights and the fork angles. I'm not sure. Adjustability would help....but the windshield I currently have... is a few inches lower than my chin.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrench View Post
Hi, Mike,

I ran into a similar thing with my 650 custom - I'm 5' -10" but a long torso and short legs - 30" inseam.

I started with a 19" Memphis Shades Fats and ended up with a 21" - even then I had to reverse the upper and lower clamps to get a more rearward windshield slant which eventually got rid of the buffeting - I also added the fork deflectors which helped a bit but the most noticeable was the slant.

Here's a pic of the 21" before the reversal of the clamps and increased slant.

Nice looking bike! I too have a normal torso and short legs...which means I should not be having this issue. My inseam is 27". Unfortunately, the QR clamps I have are not reversible or adjustable for either height or slant. I think I need to start over completely and look at other brands....just wondering which brand and model.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From MN View Post
SNIP I think I need to start over completely and look at other brands....just wondering which brand and model.
I would look at the Yamaha OEM windshield as it comes in several heights = probably is pricier than aftermarket but proven to work and the dealer may even have a bike with one installed - other windshield company is National Cycle - they have an excellent name - go for the touring windshields as these seem to give the best coverage.

I'd also give serious consideration to the Memphis Shades Fats which come in heights 13", 15", 17" 19", 21" - they are wider than NC and easy to install and have the quick release mounting.

Another consideration especially as you're from the north is the Memphis Shades batwing fairing and 12" windshield - it was my final addition to the 650 for cold weather riding - it almost seemed that much better than a windshield - I think you're in the same weather boat as I am here in southern Ontario - cold winters and summers that don't get that warm that you have to remove the windshield - if you did the MS batwing is the same quick disconnect as the Memphis Shades Fats windshield.

My gut reaction is go straight to the batwing.

Bill
2015 Yamaha V-Star XVS65A Classic
NOS purchased April, 2017
0.9 km on the odometer

Last edited by bfrench; 04-11-2019 at 08:16 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/d...shields-mounts

i think i have the medium, which is 20". i'm 5'10", like to slouch a little when i ride, and i've never had a problem with buffeting.
I might end up with the Yamaha brand windshield. Are they adjustable for height and tilt when using the QR mounts? The windshields that come with the touring models look nice, but I've never tried them for height nor looked at them closely.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode