Starter relay/ main fuse - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Starter relay/ main fuse

I replaced the starter relay assembly on my 1100. The new relay came with a 10amp fuse, the original had a 30 amp fuse, I have tried switching the fuses and the original 30 amp does not work. I did have it running with the new relay, but it's my first bike and it took time to figure out the clutch and gas balance. I rode it once and it struggled trying to crank but wouldn't I'm wondering if either the battery is not charging or if the charging system is not working.

Safety First, Comfort Second, Speed Always.
Consider, your decisions often affect others more than you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:58 PM

Garage
The OEM starter relay comes with a 30 amp fuse.

Here's a pretty good thread talking about battery and charging system diagnosing.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ng-issues.html

After you test voltage at battery described in above thread post back results. Then we can help you with further testing.
bevo1981 likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I don't have a voltmeter and I think I'm going to clean the grounds after I replace this battery. I don't really trust this sigmas Tek battery. I was worried that something may have gotten on or around the stator or flywheel but it looks like the most I need to worry about is corrosion

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:07 PM

Garage
Strongly suggest to pick a multi meter if you are going to be working on bike. Right tools make the job easier. $10.00 at Wal-Mart.

bevo1981 and YammyV like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Also during my first ride I realized that the bolts that originally held the bags from the wheels where too long with just the chrome bits. I bent all four bolts and all but one I was able to remove. I drilled the head off is there a way to remove the rest without messing up the threads or The paint.
And after the battery I'm going to be taped out for a bit.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:52 AM

Garage
Easy Out extractors work pretty good. Google how to use and watch a video or two.

bevo1981 and YammyV like this.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm not good at reading wiring diagrams would any of you know if the lower amperage fuse that's on the new relay keep the fuel pump from running fully.
I cranked the bike today and if I tried to cut off the choke or even touch the throttle it would die out, it feels like it's barely getting enough fuel to get the lower jet but not any other. The bike will out idle my patience but I'm not sure I had it running a week ago and the only thing that has changed is the battery.
The pump is probably trying to die on me and that's something I really don't want to mess with, I'm tired of taking the bike apart and putting it back together.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:16 PM

Garage
Battery is used for only starting a vehicle. The charging system takes over electrical requirements after that. The charging system tops off the charge of the battery so it's ready the next time you need to start it. The majority time a bike will not respond to choke or throttle it's a fuel deliver issue or carburetor problem. The lower amp fuse will not effect the starter relay effectiveness, but will blow fuse quickly if there is an issue. If you have at least half a tank of fuel the fuel pump really isn't needed. Many people eliminate the fuel pump on carbed Vstar bikes. The fuel pump is low pressure designed to keep a constant fuel delivery since part of the fuel tank is below carb floats. The fuel pump will only pump long enough to fill the carb bowls, usually less than 10 seconds at a time. There are many here that will assist in diagnosing your issues. Post what your bike is doing, or not doing, when you try to start it. Did it start then die. Or did it die when you moved the choke and or throttle? Would it crank back up. Was both cylinders getting hot? Did fuel pump click for a few seconds and the stop when you first turned the key on? Keep us updated.
bevo1981 likes this.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Like I said the bike starts fine first time and sounds like both sides are working but if I try to take the choke off or throttle up in the slightest it dies out. I think I'm hearing the pump work when I first turn the key but nothing the second or third consecutive time. The bike will rev I roll or shake it back and forth.
With what I've seen online everyone says it's a fuel issue and they recommend cleaning the carb, but I have done that and it ran afterwards.

Last edited by Dychhobbs; 04-18-2019 at 08:36 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:56 PM

Garage
Sounds like a fuel supply issue, either before carbs or at carbs. Did you clean the petcock screen? Did you change fuel filter? To test fuel flow, undo fuel line on tank side fuel filter, put line in container and turn petcock on, good fuel flow? Connect line back to fuel filter, undo fuel line after filter, test same way, good flow? Connect line back up. Undo fuel line at carbs, turn key on to energize fuel pump, good flow? If all these items test good the issue is in the carbs. Post back results of fuel flow. By the way, you are turning petcock on and off between step, if you don't fuel will go everywhere, yes, that's experience speaking. 😀

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode