Lighting Upgrade Coming! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Lighting Upgrade Coming!

I'm excited! Last fall I upgraded my factory headlight to the Truck-Lite LED headlight (I read somewhere that it's the exact same thing as the Kuryakyn Phase 7 at $350) for $158. I love the really bright 'hot spot' right in the center but, lighting to the side is somewhat diminished. So I looked at the Kuryakyn 5001 Driving Light Bar that replaces the turn signals with a combo Driving Light and Turn Signal, similar to what's on my Stratoliner. I wasn't ready to put out $340 for the lights, and then add the mounting bracket and wiring kit so, I added a price watch on camelcamelcamel (love that site). Wouldn't you know, I added it about 1 week after Amazon had it down to $209. So, I've been watching it... March 25, it dropped to $307. Not yet. April 14, drops to $275. Hold off... Today, on a whim, I went to the Kuryakyn web site to check there - no idea why.

It's on Closeout at $190! Mount and Wiring kits were both on sale but, at just a few $$ each but, got the whole kit for just under $280! SCORE! I almost upgraded from free ground shipping to $45 for Next Day Saturday delivery (a bargain) but, resisted temptation. I know what I'll be doing next Saturday morning!

If you've been wanting to add driving lights to your ride, I'd head to the Kuryakyn website right now and grab one before they're gone!

Now going to add add a price watch on the $130 LED upgrade to the lights! Well, crap. The camel says Amazon had them for $88 back in October last year. Oh, hell, I've got over $200 in Prime Credits from my Amazon CC. I'm pulling the trigger!

Pics after the install!

(I do not work for, represent or, get any compensation from Kuryakyn, Amazon, or camelcamelcamel.)
Keith Post likes this.

2001 V-Star 650 Classic - purchased in 2017 w/ 10.5K miles
2014 Stratoliner S - purchased in 2018 w/ 0 miles (Original Owner!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well - maybe on the LEDs. Looking on Amazon, there are more 1 star ratings than anything else. People are saying the original H3 lights are brighter. Anyone here have any experience with this setup?

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:26 PM

Garage
Jim, I installed a LED headlight in my 950. I liked how bright it was to other traffic but I feel the road was lit up better with the halogen lamp. This winter I installed some OEM passing lamps that came with halogen lamps. I may swap the headlight back to halogen but I want to see how the passing lamps light up the roadside as I had a close encounter with a deer last year. As you are aware the weather in OH has been tough to get rides in. Seems like when the weather is nice I am working and when not working the weather is...well Ohio weather... I did see while browsing the forum a thread with lighting pictures of different types of lamps and how the lights project down the road. I'm sorry I do not remember who posted it but there is a thread out there that has some nice info on it. Good luck!
Keith Post likes this.

09 V Star 950
Dark Cherry
Cobra Exhaust and Floorboards
Recent Mods: Added OEM passing lamps
Kuryakyn R/B/T kit
Custom Dynamics Rear Red Turn lenses

Looking for new seat and taller windshield

Be seen and be heard! Bright lights and loud pipes!

Enjoy the ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:32 PM

Garage
Found the thread. From the Star forum go to the bottom of the page. It is in the motorcycle modification section. Bevo did a real nice write up about HID lighting but it has info about the other types...Check it out..
Keith Post and YammyV like this.

09 V Star 950
Dark Cherry
Kuryakyn R/B/T kit

Enjoy the ride
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbird58 View Post
Jim, I installed a LED headlight in my 950. I liked how bright it was to other traffic but I feel the road was lit up better with the halogen lamp. This winter I installed some OEM passing lamps that came with halogen lamps. I may swap the headlight back to halogen but I want to see how the passing lamps light up the roadside as I had a close encounter with a deer last year. As you are aware the weather in OH has been tough to get rides in. Seems like when the weather is nice I am working and when not working the weather is...well Ohio weather... I did see while browsing the forum a thread with lighting pictures of different types of lamps and how the lights project down the road. I'm sorry I do not remember who posted it but there is a thread out there that has some nice info on it. Good luck!
Ohio riding! Two winters ago (2017 - 2018), I didn't ride unless the daytime high was going to hit the upper 40's. Which meant I opted to ride when the morning commute was down in the 20's. This year, since I survived the 20's last year, I decided road conditions were the only thing that mattered to me. I think between 1 Dec and 30 March I took the car maybe 20 times. If the roads were dry and not freshly salted, I rode. Coldest morning: 16 F. I rode today in the rain both ways (we got to leave early for Good Friday). I've gotten so motorcycle happy that, a day on the motorcycle in the rain is better than being in a car.

But, back to the topic at hand. I was really just looking to see if anyone had experience with the Kuryakyn Satellite Driving lights with Halogen vs. the LED 'upgrade'. I agree, side of the road lighting with an LED headlight is way inferior. But, this is on a bike I only use for commuting in town.

My Stratoliner (for rural and longer rides) still has all factory lighting. And, yeah: the first time I rode at night and found the 'passing lights' (why does Yamaha call them that?) had blown the fuse, I was annoyed at how poorly the sides were illuminated for cornering!
Redbird58 likes this.

Last edited by JimCanaday; 04-19-2019 at 01:52 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:42 PM

Garage
yes be sure to read Bevo's thread. I added some extra lights to my highway bar suggested by him. Am very pleased with them.

Ride safe and enjoy~YammyV
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YammyV View Post
yes be sure to read Bevo's thread. I added some extra lights to my highway bar suggested by him. Am very pleased with them.

Ride safe and enjoy~YammyV
OK. I will! Thanks for reiterating the recommendation.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Found the thread. From the Star forum go to the bottom of the page. It is in the motorcycle modification section. Bevo did a real nice write up about HID lighting but it has info about the other types...Check it out..
https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ts-review.html

a much cheaper alternative to some excellent driving lights. i think they're on amazon now for about $30

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:05 AM

Garage
Yeh thats too cold for me! My neighbor has a street glide that he rides everyday unless it is seriously raining or snowing...I just aint that tough...Ride safe!

09 V Star 950
Dark Cherry
Kuryakyn R/B/T kit

Enjoy the ride
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
I think this is the Bevo article

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ts-review.html

Bill
2015 Yamaha V-Star XVS65A Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode