Vstar 1300 bad idle when cold. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Vstar 1300 bad idle when cold.

I have an 09 Vstar 1300 with an idle issue.
When I let the bike sit a few days due to rain or cold weather I has a hard time starting, idling and running until the bike gets up to a good operating temp. When I can warmed up enough that i can get it on the road it takes about 5 miles at 45 mph to get to the point it is acting normal. Too much throttle will kill the engine, too little will kill it. I almost seems like a stuck choke issue i had on a previous 650.
Looking for some advice on what where to start with this problem . I starts out really bad only runs a few seconds, then it will run a few seconds longer the next time and so on until it decides its going to act right. Most time I can get it with a single battery charge others it have to swap out with a fresh charged one.

Not my bike but this is exactly how mine acts after about the 10th crank. Once it gets to this point I can usually get on the road.
https://youtu.be/AKeI6NbxwRM

[Edit]
No Fuel management or tuning add-ons. Cobra Longs (it look like to me) installed. New oil change, plugs and air filter have not helped.
Radio, Frame LEDs and lightbar installed but disconnected until I figure out the issue.

Last edited by Randy Murchie; 04-20-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:50 PM
KCW

Garage
your bike is fuel injected, so its not as suseptible to bad gas or gummy carbs

but if the bike sat for a while with 10% ethanol fuel, it could still have dirty injectors. These bikes do not adjust their fuel/air ratio like a fuel injected car, the ratio is still a fixed map in the ECM.

It will only cost $8 to get a bottle of SeaFoam or another carb/fuel injector fuel additive, put it in your tank and ride a couple hundred miles and see if the bike idles better.

There is an idle control module on fuel injected bikes, that acts like a choke. The idle speed is not adjustable, but if that part is acting up, has a bad connection.. it will act like a carb'd bike with a defective choke.

Until you get this figured out, I would not keep cranking the engine hard to get it started, either park the bike on a bit of a hill an push start it / pop the clutch in 2nd gear to get it going, or maybe pull the cover off the air filter, hit it with some starting fluid spray, or an un-lit propane torch to get it started.

I dont think there are any known issues with the starters on Vstar 1300 bikes, but cranking it till a battery goes dead is begging for starter failure.

Last edited by KCW; 04-20-2019 at 01:53 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:06 PM
KCW

Garage
I found this posted in another thread with similar problems from a few years ago, but the original poster never came back and said whether it resolved the idle problems:

Quote:
There is an idle speed control (electric solenoid), that opens to allow additional air past the throttle blades when the throttle is closed - to control idle speed. This provides the cold engine fast idle and prevents stalling when the throttle blades are snapped shut. A dirty valve can cause idle speed hunting.

On "cars" this valve will get gummed up and that causes the problem you are having. The fix is to spray throttle body cleaner through the valve while the engine is running to wash out the sludge. Sometimes you just have to replace the valve.

The 1300 has a similar valve/setup, you may want to try to clean it.

If nothing else, I would at least clean the throttle body. You can spay some cleaner on the blades (engine off) run a tooth brush around to loosen any build up, then start the engine and spray the TB clean. Alternatively you can spray cleaner on a rag and wipe the throttle blades clean (engine off of course). Its usually the edges and back side of the blades that need the cleaning.

Note Item #9
[IMG]Throttle Body by , on Flickr[/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

I has avoided Fuel injection until this bike but I had assumed a lot of what you told me and glad to hear I was right.
I have added some seafoam just have got the miles on it yet to get it through the whole system. I will try cleaning the idle speed control and Throttle blades as well.

I will be sure to update for future folks.

Thanks again.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:45 AM

Garage
These bikes are susceptible to failing spark plugs.. Mine is an 08 1300 and usually starts first crank.. I'd check your spark plugs and check there condition as well see if the previous owner changed them out for a colder running plug as i had in mine when i got it and it idled like [email protected]@ in the cold. Also consider looking at the battery condition.. a failing / low voltage battery as well will give running issues..

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.

Last edited by Mrdub; 04-22-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode