Maxair vs chubbys vs hypercharger - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Maxair vs chubbys vs hypercharger

I'm new to owning an 1100 vstar custom that has existing aftermarket exhaust. I have been doing lots of research on different intakes and although this topic has probably been covered lots it seems like there is a lot of mixed research and reviews. There also doesn't seem to be any definitive answer as to what's the best option.

There are two thing I'm looking for opinions on:

1. Pods seem like the way to go but I saw this post on Pacific coast star and wanted to see if anyone can back this up with some real
world experience. https://www.pacificcoaststar.com/pcs...ilter-faqs.htm
Is there any real loss at low end rpms? From the reviews I've read, it doesn't seem like their theory is true but at least they have some technical explanations so I think it's worth acknowledging and discussing.

2. Maxair or chubbys. It seems like a lot of people have gone the chubby route since its easier to tune and is cheaper. I'm not worried about the extra cost or the difficulty in tweaking the floats or other parts of the carb. Im wondering why there would be a much more involved tuning procedure with maxair if it didn't provide any benefits. I've read some people's opinions on this saying that they think maxair didn't do as much engineering/research but these don't seem to be backed up by any technical reasonings. Does anyone have any real world experience with each product or some carb expertise who can explain why one product has a much more involved installation process over the other considering how similar they are?

Or if there are existing threads with this information please forward those.

Thanks
CanadianMohawk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:16 AM

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home/tuning everything is here. its recommended not to adjust the floats.one benefit of maxair is it has a metel connector between the pods and intake.you can make your own out of exhaust reducers.the kits come complete either one. i made my own by following the instructions in the tuning section..your going to want mixture screws which are adjustable with the carbs on the bike, make sure there included with the kit. you can't buy them separate.theres a guy tim bonderant on facebook that also sells the complete kit. one other thing.. if going with metal reducers the k&n ru600 pods are a little tall you can substitute rc1150 which are a little shorter.there's info in the tuning section 'quiet pods.'

Last edited by nick57; 04-22-2019 at 05:24 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:32 PM

Garage
that's in interesting article on the Pods.

Current Bike:
2008 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic

Previous Bikes:
2005 Yamaha YZF-R6T
1990 Kawasaki EX-500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMohawk View Post
that's in interesting article on the Pods.
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...r-must-do-list if your new to the 1100 read this theres a proper way to start the bike so you don't damage the starter clutch
AlphaOmega likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick57 View Post
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home/tuning everything is here. its recommended not to adjust the floats.one benefit of maxair is it has a metel connector between the pods and intake.you can make your own out of exhaust reducers.the kits come complete either one. i made my own by following the instructions in the tuning section..your going to want mixture screws
which are adjustable with the carbs on the bike, make sure there included with the kit. you can't buy them separate.theres a guy tim bonderant on facebook that also sells the complete kit. one other thing.. if going with metal reducers the k&n ru600 pods are a little tall you can substitute rc1150 which are a little shorter.there's info in the tuning section 'quiet pods.'
Sorry for the late reply. Was on holidays. I did read through this previously and it is a lot of good information. However, I find it doesn't really explain why one product requires the floats to be changed and the other doesn't, when they are both very similar products. I'm assuming it has to do with the fact that they use different brands of jets. I guess I was hoping for some more technical information that might support a good reason (such as better performance, fuel efficiency, or reliability) for using the jets that max air supplies and adjusting the floats. The link you sent explains that you don't need to adjust the floats, but that really only applies to the chubby product.

Also, I haven't really seen anyone address the post on this link stating that the pods performance is deceiving and that you are actually losing low end power for gains on the high end.
https://www.pacificcoaststar.com/pcs...ilter-faqs.htm

The info in the Pacificcoaststar link does make sense but I'm wondering how much is actually true. Are there enough people on here who can debunk this theory simply from real world experience on their bikes after the pod install?

Last edited by Sabercromby; 05-02-2019 at 01:32 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 03:57 PM

pcs has gotton some bad press from certain dudes in the past.i have ordered from them with no issues. i would recommend pcs or chubby. pcs has the head gasses going into the tops of the carbs some people think its dirty and dont want blowby going into the combustion chamber..the chubby kit has a collection bottle. i ran a homemade collection bottle for six years and changed the disign every year and i would get a mess under the tank. so now i run a hose from the head down to by the swingarm along the left side. dont tell anybody.the pcs kit supplies the metal reducer and the chubby relies on glue to hold the filters to intake.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick57 View Post
pcs has gotton some bad press from certain dudes in the past.i have ordered from them with no issues. i would recommend pcs or chubby. pcs has the head gasses going into the tops of the carbs some people think its dirty and dont want blowby going into the combustion chamber..the chubby kit has a collection bottle. i ran a homemade collection bottle for six years and changed the disign every year and i would get a mess under the tank. so now i run a hose from the head down to by the swingarm along the left side. dont tell anybody.the pcs kit supplies the metal reducer and the chubby relies on glue to hold the filters to intake.
When you say PCS, I'm not sure what you are referring to. Pacificcoaststar doesn't sell any pod systems.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 05:16 PM

sorry i meant max air. pcs has the bad rap.max air or chubby or build your own.i did pods and cobra longs at the same time so all i have is a seat of pants feel. altho i did put in some restrictive baffles and it was like dragging a anchor.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:44 PM

Garage
My riding buddy and I both had 1100 and road together for years. My bike was a 2001and his 2002. At the time we started riding together both bikes were in the high teens in mileage. Both had Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust system. The bikes were almost 100 percent identical except intake. I had a stock air box with a K&N filter. He first went to BAK, then a Max Air. The only other difference was driver weight. He outweighs me by 70 pounds. We would compare performance a lot. I would always out run him. From a dead stop I would pull him pretty good, a bike or two by top of second. On a moving roll on (40mph) it was more even. It actually was who ever hit the throttle first. We would trade bikes often and I could out run him everytime I was on his bike. From having experienced this I can tell you the true performance increase with after market intake is mainly in the upper RPM range. Is it noticeable, yes, is it a big gain, no. I know this was long and drawn out but just wanted you to realize any way you go intake wise it's not going to make a hot rod out of an 1100. My suggestion to to choose the one you like and thinks looks best. The 1 to 2% difference in power between the kits on a 50 horsepower engine really isn't noticeable. That's my opinion based on experience. Hope this helps.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
My riding buddy and I both had 1100 and road together for years. My bike was a 2001and his 2002. At the time we started riding together both bikes were in the high teens in mileage. Both had Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust system. The bikes were almost 100 percent identical except intake. I had a stock air box with a K&N filter. He first went to BAK, then a Max Air. The only other difference was driver weight. He outweighs me by 70 pounds. We would compare performance a lot. I would always out run him. From a dead stop I would pull him pretty good, a bike or two by top of second. On a moving roll on (40mph) it was more even. It actually was who ever hit the throttle first. We would trade bikes often and I could out run him everytime I was on his bike. From having experienced this I can tell you the true performance increase with after market intake is mainly in the upper RPM range. Is it noticeable, yes, is it a big gain, no. I know this was long and drawn out but just wanted you to realize any way you go intake wise it's not going to make a hot rod out of an 1100. My suggestion to to choose the one you like and thinks looks best. The 1 to 2% difference in power between the kits on a 50 horsepower engine really isn't noticeable. That's my opinion based on experience. Hope this helps.

I actually really appreciate the response. That's the kind of info I was hoping for. When I first started looking at intake changes I had decided on the hypercharger. This was mostly based on looks since everyone said the gains are negligible compared to the big air kit or other filter changes that keep the same air intake box.

Then after doing some more searching, I landed on this forum and it seemed everyone was saying the pods are the better way to go because you should see some noticeable hangers in the bike.

You've got me leaning back towards the hypercharger for the looks though. I'd be interested to hear some other responses as well.
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode