V Star 1300 Oil change issue - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

V Star 1300 Oil change issue

I've read several articles on valve noise but didn't find one that gave me the insight I was looking for... I'm hoping you guys can help. I have an 08 I recently picked up with 12,000 miles on it. I know they are known for having some valve noise, but I changed to a synthetic 20/50 motorcycle oil and the noise got noticeably louder when the engine warms up... much more than previously. I am not sure what oil was in it before.

Anyone have this experience? Any suggestions on oil brand/ type?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInICT View Post
I've read several articles on valve noise but didn't find one that gave me the insight I was looking for... I'm hoping you guys can help. I have an 08 I recently picked up with 12,000 miles on it. I know they are known for having some valve noise, but I changed to a synthetic 20/50 motorcycle oil and the noise got noticeably louder when the engine warms up... much more than previously. I am not sure what oil was in it before.

The V star 950 1300 and Stryker engines use overhead cams that have rollers on the rocker arms. This virtually eliminates Valve wear at the cost of noise. The rollers ride on the camshaft and are pretty noisy which is normal for these valve trains.
bevo1981 likes this.

2013 V Star 1300 Tourer
2018 Indian Chief Limited
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Baron58. I know they have some inherent noise. I didn't expect it to get noticeable worse after changing the oil to synthetic. I'm thinking I should swap it again and put Yamalube in. I don't know what the original owner ran in it.

Any certain oils that are known to quiet it down some?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:23 PM

Garage
Older oil gets contaminated with carbon and other combustion residue which changes it's properties some. How discolored (black) was the oil. You might just be hearing the difference between old and new oil. Is your ambient temperature much higher than before you changed your oil. Higher ambient temperature will case the engine to run slightly hotter. Another thought, is you oil level correct?

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:26 PM
KCW

Garage
something to consider, did you have the windshield off the bike and you put it on?

were you riding around with/without helmet?

the windshield is a perfect acoustic reflector from the engine right to your helmet - the engine always sounds louder with it on the bike

I cant see the oil making the tappets/lifters louder or quieter, unless... well... no 20W40 is 20W40, synthetic or not

ride the bike for a while with your nice new oil. Unless it sounds like someone is banging on your engine with a hammer, its probably normal

every spring when I take my 650 out for the first ride after 3 months in the garage, I always think something is wrong, it wasnt this loud when I put it away

yes... it was... I just need a few days to get use to it again.

motorcycle engines are loud, esp on the interstate at 80mph - earplugs are a real thing for motorcycles.
lesblank and arby like this.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

It still has the windshield and I wear a helmet at all times while riding. The sound is more noticeable at lower speeds and idle. I definitely hear a difference from one day to the next with only the oil and filter being different.... now having said that, I may be paranoid since it's a used bike and could be reading way too much into it.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:11 AM

Where are you in CT? Maybe we could meet for a ride.

2014 1300 Tourer. Cobra Fuel Processor, Cobra Slip-On Muffler, Lindby Multi-Bar,
Cobra PowerFlo, Yamaha Lightbar, Wolo Big Boy. Bag Guards & Trim Rails ED Seat
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

I'm actually in Wichita, KS. ICT is the airport code.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:27 AM
KCW

Garage
one thing no one has mentioned: I dont know if the VS1300 engine has adjustable tappets, or self adjusting lifters. The 1600/1700 engines have lifters, but they have two valves on one lifter, so every 16000 miles those two valves need to be adjusted relative to each other, because the lifter will put one at 0 clearance (whichever is tighter) and the other will have a gap of a few thousandths...

If you have the service records and the owners manual (available free online as a PDF file) look up how often the valve clearance needs to be adjusted (if ever) and if it has been done as required (service records).

Edited to add: having your valve clearance a little bit loose is not a terrible thing, it wont damage the valves until it gets very loose. Having the valve clearance tight will cause valve damage, because the valves will not close all the way, and hot gasses will blow between the valve and head seat, causing damage to both.

So if you can hear your tappets (tappets gonna tap...) its better than if you cant hear them at all - that would be really bad, the indication they were not properly adjusted (maybe adjusted when the engine was not over-night-stone-cold).

Last edited by KCW; 04-23-2019 at 02:29 PM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInICT View Post

I tried a motul 20w50 synthetic and i noticed increased noise in the valve train.I didn't wait too long.. 1200 km and I switched back to Rotella T4 15w40 and it was much better than the 20w50.

The 1300 had adjustable tappets .. i just did mine and the rear cyl intake valves were loose . but this was long ago i did the 20w50 oil change issue !!

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.

Last edited by Mrdub; 04-23-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode