Carburetor relocation - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Carburetor relocation

It seems that I have found myself to be once again incorrect about what is wrong with this bike to an extent, the bike is run on one cylinder and it seems that I am going to have tear the bike apart again, to check the rear side carb again, I am dreading this task and I want to make it easier in the future. I'm hoping I can find or possibly build a intake manifold like piece to go between the intake ports and hold the carbs so they are easier to access in the future. This would also mean I can toss the air box and put in pods or something. Any ideas

Safety First, Comfort Second, Speed Always.
Consider, your decisions often affect others more than you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:30 PM
KCW

Garage
there are kits you can get to put a single carb on a 650 or 1100

for future reference, the Road Star carb bikes have only one that feeds both cylinders, and push rods - the quintessential "as simple as can be" V twin engine

and in the opposite direction, my Royal Star has 4 carbs, 16 valves (4 per cylinder) and instead of adjustable valves it has those flat disk things you have to change out to get the right valve clearance

some bikes (like the Road Star) are very low maintenance, and others not so much

the 650 and 1100 are in the middle

once you get your carbs cleaned and adjusted right, if you use a fuel stabilizer when the bike is parked more than a month or so, you should never have to take them apart to clean them - most of these "Vstar for sale, needs TLC" situations come from a previous owner who just stopped riding, and left the bike sit for years with E10 gas in the tank.

My 2005 Vstar 650 and 2000 Royal Star 1300 V4 are fully stock, were well maintained by the previous owners, and the carbs have never been touched.

I hope this is encouraging. For normal maintenance the only thing you will have to do (once the carbs are fixed) is pull them off as an assembly out of the way so you can adjust the intake valve clearance every 15,000 miles or so. Trying to relocate the carbs might be more work than it will save you over the life of the bike. You should be able to configure your valve covers so you can get to the exhaust tappet covers without taking anything off the bike.

Putting intake pods on the bike will get you more HP (if you re-jet the carbs in the process), but most after market pod kits expect the carbs to be in their stock location.

I know its frustrating when your bike is not running, and you have it all pulled apart. Once you get it running well, you will just want to ride it, and most of these "there has to be a better way" thoughts will drift away in the wind blowing in your face. When a VS1100 is running well, it runs very well.
lesblank likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 04-27-2019 at 06:37 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:31 PM

Garage
That I'm aware of there is not an easy way to modify intake to assist in carb removal. Maybe I'm lucky, I can have my carbs off my 1100 and on the bench in about 30 minutes. A lot of that time is cleaning places I normally can't get too. Installing is a little longer but not by much. Here's a thread about converting to a single carb setup, it's not cheap.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...e-project.html

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I've seen parts for sale like what he built but I'm not wanting to convert down to one I want to be able to take the bowls off with out having to take the carbs off. I guess I'm just trying to think through this feeling of being over my head, I need personal help with this so that next time I do this I won't be so lost.

Safety First, Comfort Second, Speed Always.
Consider, your decisions often affect others more than you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode