Is this crack an issue? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By RamAirZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Is this crack an issue?

Is that entire piece rubber/plastic or is that crack just in the rubber housing and beneath that it is metal?
If it's all rubber I need to replace that right away, if not I can just pack it with grease to keep it from drying out and cracking any further.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190508_180154.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	84094   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	84096  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:11 AM

Garage
I would say, take it off and inspect the inside

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Fix with JB weld

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by bevo1981; 05-09-2019 at 09:56 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:56 AM
KCW

Garage
this comes up a lot, the boots crack and look like they are leaking, but unless you have a vacuum leak its probably ok

there is a thread on this somewhere with a photo of the boot sawed down the middle. Im not sure how to find it at the moment.

The ends are alum where it bolts to the head and the carbs, and the middle is plastic all the way thru. There may be a different type of plastic on the inside that does not crack.

So short answer: spray the boots with brake cleaner or hold an un-lit propane torch in the area while the bike is idling. If the RMPs change (usually faster) then you have a vacuum leak. If the idle stays the same you have carb boots with a nice patina crackle pattern, and nothing to worry about.

BTW: usually people post after the fact "My carb boots were all cracked so I bought new ones, took the carbs off and replaced them" and they never verified if there was a vacuum leak or not.
lesblank, JonMaz2112 and DukeHam like this.

Last edited by KCW; 05-09-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
spray the boots with brake cleaner or hold an un-lit propane torch in the area while the bike is idling. If the RMPs change (usually faster) then you have a vacuum leak. If the idle stays the same you have carb boots with a nice patina crackle pattern, and nothing to worry about.
Will do, thanks for the advice, I'll try that today.

Assuming I have to replace it (likely will just for piece of mind) does anyone have a link for OEM Yammy parts so I can try to find a part number? I guess I can just go to my local dealer and ask for a carb boot and they should be able to track it down.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:49 AM
KCW

Garage
www.bikebandit.com has the exploded motorcycle part drawings, and part numbers and prices for everything they sell

I forget the whole sequence, but OEM parts, Yamaha, your bike year and model - keep clicking on those things as you go thru the website, and you will end up on a page with selections on the left for subsystems on the bike, more OEM clicks... and when you get down far enough the drawing shows up. If you double click on the drawings you zoom in for a bigger image.

I would put a link to the carbs page, but for some reason the links dont take you all the way to the drawing page - you have to go thru it yourself....
DukeHam likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:11 PM

As stated you’re probably fine but wouldn’t hurt to give you piece of mind. Mine had some cracks along the boots but weren’t leaking, and I had them off when swapping motors and inspected the inside, the plastic in there seems a lot harder than the outer shell and we’re good to go so I reused them and still running strong 💪
KCW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode