V-Star classic handlebar location - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
V-Star classic handlebar location

Hi, Guys,

Would I benefit from a set of risers or does my arm position look ok - I can ride three hours without stopping but wonder if the forearms should be closer to horizontal and the upper arm a bit more vertical - or maybe way too much over thinking on a heavily rainy day.

Bill
2015 Yamaha V-Star XVS65A Classic
NOS purchased April, 2017
0.9 km on the odometer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:37 PM

Garage
I like to lean back a little and have my arms slightly bent so risers made it more comfortable for me. I find the same situation on my new bike so I'll be adding a set to it too. But it's all a matter of preference. It doesn't look like you're stretching to reach the bars and if you're comfortable, then you should be fine. It might be one of those things you have to try though. That's why I bought a set of $30 risers from China instead of spending hundreds on something I wasn't sure I'd like.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRider View Post
That's why I bought a set of $30 risers from China ...
Coming from a dirt riding background that is one of the biggest no no's. The risers are all that connects you hand controls to the bike. The cheap China stuff is low quality alloy that snaps easy, def not nearly as big an issue on a cruiser as compared to a dirt bike but I wouldn't trust them personally ...
NorthernRider likes this.

07 Vstar 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I just ordered a set from Walmart Canada - it wasn't that much more than the Chinese stuff from eBay - but in all probability they're the same thing supplied by someone in the US or here.

And Duke I understand your reservations - you can add a lot of leverage with just an extra of couple of inches in height - I'll have a look at them when they arrive and hopefully they're not a cast aluminum like the clamps for the footpegs on the highway bars - Did you get your foot extensions yet??? Mine make the bike absolutely more comfortable than a big sedan.
DukeHam likes this.

Bill
0.9 km on the odometer
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:01 PM

Garage
The ones I got are definitely not cast aluminum. They are very heavy and I'm not worried about them breaking. I do see your point about dirt riding, though. That puts a lot more stress on them than a cruiser would.
DukeHam likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:04 PM

Garage
I haven't ordered the extended controls yet. I ordered a Mustang seat first and then next will be some crash bars with highway foot rests, those are the two most pressing items for me, then extended controls to follow

07 Vstar 650
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:15 PM

Garage
Here's a good thread on riser. Yes, it's definitely riders choice. I'm short and need the extra reach. I had my risers on for years and over 50k . Never had an issue or concern.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...-question.html

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:24 PM
KCW

Garage
When I got my Royal Star last fall the previous owner had the grips a bit higher than I was use to. I rode the bike like it was, then started playing around with the position.

the handlebars on the stock Royal Star are a good 10" from the triple tree center to the grips. I pulled them down lower for a few days, kept looking at photos of RS bikes on google -they were all over the place from nearly touching the tank to being straight up.

I thought maybe they are suppose to be in line with the angle of the fork - maybe that puts the grips in the center of rotation, so I tried that. They were like mini ape hangers pushed that far forward.

I rode to work the next day and 3 miles down the road both hands were completely numb. I was sitting up straight and comfortable, had a good grip and good control over the bike, but with my hands just that little bit higher I was riding shaking one hand, then the other, to keep the blood flowing, the entire 30 minute ride to work. During lunch I put them back where they are in the garage photos.

The takeaway here: before you spend a lot of money for risers and cable extenders and taller handlebars maybe crank the ones you have up as high as you can. Sometimes the effect is unexpected.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, guys.

I'll just rotate the bars tomorrow - I did order the risers from my favorite motorcycle shop - Walmart. If they're unnecessary it's easy to return them.

Les - That's a good tutorial page - it looks like I ordered similar as yours but only with a 3.5" rise and 1.5" pull back - so hopefully will get away with no cable moves - I'll keep every one posted and may just add to the page you and Northernrider already have - keeps everything in one place for future reference.
lesblank likes this.

Bill
0.9 km on the odometer
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:42 PM

Garage
Mine are 4.5" and I did have to reroute some cables but I didn't have to replace any. You should be good.
lesblank and bfrench like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode