v-star 650 classic voltage regulator - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
v-star 650 classic voltage regulator - Updated

Hi, Guys,

Got caught on the road yesterday with a dead battery - got the CAA people to bring the bike home - battery was dead flat - charged it overnight abd it's reading 12.6 v / 12.7 v before starting with the lights on for a few minutes to remove float charge.

At starting the voltage did't go below 10.0 v so it's accepting a full charge.

After starting at idle rpm - 12.6 v - with a twist of the wrist to run the throttle about halfway - absolutely no change in the voltage - 12.6 v.

Now without testing the stator I'm assuming a faulty regulator - mostly because if the rectifier failed I'd have a higher than 14v with the throttle opened.

Now to the question - do I have to remove the tank to replace the regulator / rectifier????? Or doe the cable just loop under the tank / engine area????

If I get the regulator connection exposed I should be able to test the stator without any further disassembly????

UPDATE - After a two week wait between the dealer ordering the stator and finding time to get it installed - it turned out to be the stator - Grounded - so have a new updated stator installed - apparently Yamaha superceded the -02 models for a -03 - hopefully this corrects any flaws in the design / installation - total cost $600.00 - priceless - without the stator the V-Star just became a very heavy pedal bike .

Now we have 5 days of sunshine and moderate temperatures so I'll have to catch up on the mileage missed over the break down period.

Now have a new stator - new regulator and new battery - should be good for another 50k

Bill
2015 Yamaha V-Star XVS65A Classic
NOS purchased April, 2017
0.9 km on the odometer

Last edited by bfrench; 06-18-2019 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Found solution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 03:16 PM

Garage
Here's a quick check list for the 650. When my 1100 regulator went out the voltage spikes to 18+ volts and blew out most lights. Never had a 650 so can't help with what needs to come off.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:04 PM

Could be either. seems like your just reading battery voltage, and nothing from the regulator. So could be a fault in the stator (but I doubt it, would have to be multiple failures). rectifier, again should take multiple failures, or the regulator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi, Guys,

I've had a busy couple of days with just household stuff that gets ignored while riding but had a chance to get in the good books around the house.

Anyway just decided to order a voltage regulator / rectifier and decided to go OEM even though the OEM failed - supposedly - called the Yamaha dealer first thing Monday morning and the parts guy acted acted as if I was trying to find something for the crashed spaceships at Roswell - he finally found the part even after me giving him the part number - then said they weren't a stock item and would have to order it in and no specific or even general delivery date and then the best part - $270.00. - So I told him I didn't want a custom built one but an off the shelf replacement - that didn't go over too well - then asked what the shop used for replacements and his reply was that they don't see very many of those - I wonder why???

So I went to eBay and ordered one for $30.00 - a direct replacement - should be here maybe Friday or early next week. Wife said I should have ordered two - keep one for a replacement - maybe but if it fails I'd want a different manufacturer.

Then tonight I ordered another from a different manufacturer from my favourite motorcycle parts supplier - Walmart - best part is a 1 year warranty and return policy there - even if it were just 90 days it would be ok.

Keep you posted - tomorrow removing the gas tank and then more electrical trouble shooting - tank is only the speedometer unit - two side mount screws and the fuel line - didn't realize that there was just so little - I'll try and get pics of that as I go along.

Bill
0.9 km on the odometer
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, Les,

That flow chart makes it very easy to run checks and make a basic decision.

Bill
0.9 km on the odometer
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:15 PM

Garage
FYI, many posts on this forum and others, the aftermarket voltage regulators do not last very long at all. Good luck.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:26 PM

Garage
I know there is postage and tax but here is OEM. Didn't realize that the exchange rate was that high.

https://www.revzilla.com/oem/yamaha/...oaAsY1EALw_wcB

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:36 PM

Garage
Just did a deeper search for Canadian motorcycle parts. Cheapest OEM I found was $228 Canadian. Wow!!! At $30 you could go thru 7 aftermarket ones. That's just crazy.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:48 PM

Garage
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeHam View Post
Thanks, Duke and Les,

I looked into FortNine and the from the comments thay also suffer from the failure rates common to aftermarket so I passed on them - I'll try the aftermarket one and be on the lookout for a recent used OEM from one of the wreckers - or if I can find an appropriate one stateside then purchase that - didn't realize just how difficult it can be to get a small item such as a regulator - almost as bad a the 1930s crap that the aircraft industry imposes on certified small aircraft - image $250.00 US for a Ford regulator from a model T on an airplane today.

Bill
0.9 km on the odometer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode