Lean angle? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 9Likes
  • 2 Post By Sabercromby
  • 3 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By lesblank
  • 3 Post By Grizzer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Lean angle?

Hey, does anyone know the lean angle of the vstar 1100 custom. Or any other vstars. I really enjoy the fell of my bike when carving through the twisties and I'm thinking of upgrading in the next few years. I wouldn't want to go with something that has much less of lean angle than I have now.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 11:34 AM

The lean angle in a corner will vary from one bike to another. Usually the foot pegs [or floorboards] are the first to scrape. This will vary on the weight of the rider, how soft or firm the suspension is set, and even tire size.
A cruiser type bike will likely never achieve the lean angle of a sport bike or even a dual sport with their high foot pegs .
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 05:43 AM
KCW

Garage
had to go back and look at some of your other posts to figure out that you are riding an 1100.

I understand what you are asking now, you are thinking of getting a bigger v star bike and do not want to box yourself in with a thruway rider.

you could measure the lean angle of your 1100 with a little help from a friend, you sit on the bike to load the suspension and have someone hold a board where it lines up with the edge of your tire at the angle where it would hit your floorboards. That would be a rough measurement, when you are cornering you load the suspension up lower, but if you want to compare bike to bike that would be a way to do it.

I have never seen a list of any bikes and their lean angle. Like Skypupbob said even on the same bike it changes due to many things.

The only Vstar bike I have heard people complain about is the 950 - it surprises people how soon it scrapes.

One thing to keep in mind, on a cruiser bike its nearly impossible to take a corner so fast that the bike slides out from under you with no warning or feedback before it happens. To push a MC past its cornering limit you have to lean it more than 45 degrees, and all cruiser bikes will scrape the pegs before it leans that far, unless you are hanging your weight inside the curve like a racer. So even on clean wet pavement the bike will scrape before it will slide out, and you will quickly learn how far you can lean before scraping.

I should say, if the bike is scraping and you lean it further you will make the frame hit the pavement and the bike will slide out from under you - but you got the warning to back off. On a sports bike or racing bike you get no warning, you just find yourself on the pavement wondering what just happened.

About shifting your body weight, to keep the tires hooked up in a corner you need the center of gravity of the bike and you to stay under 45 degrees in the lean, so if you shift your weight in to stand the bike up more, you will keep the pegs from scraping, and esp on a sports bike you may be able to lean far enough to get the center of gravity over the tires past 45 degrees, and down you go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

I hate to say it, but I'm actually looking at upgrading to a new harley. Either a road king or a heritage classic. They list the lean angles for Harley's so I was hoping to get a sense of how much lean I might loose or gain. I'm assuming the harley will have less.
lesblank and KCW like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 07:25 PM
KCW

Garage
if you look at the customer ratings of motorcycles on Consumer Reports, Yamaha Vstar bikes are rated as the most reliable motorcycles on the market for the years they were sold.

Harley Davidson was the second from the bottom of the list, the most unreliable was BMW.

If you intend to ride, then 'upgrading' is the wrong word.

If you want to pay twice as much money for a bike that will not run everytime you want to ride it... what is the word for that? :^)

If you want a faster, more sporty bike, I suggest you take an FJR1300 for a ride, esp the newer ones with the helical cut (quiet) gears in the transmission.
lesblank, CanadianMohawk and Boots like this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 07:58 PM

Garage
You can not compare a Vstar 1100 to a Road King or Heritage Classic. They are different bike classes. The Vstar is a cruiser, 64.8 inch wheel base, 33 degree rake and 685 pounds, meaning it's low and long with a laid back seating position. It's made for straight line cruising but handles the curves very good. The Road King is a touring bike, 63.5 inch wheel base, 26 degree rake and 812 pounds. The Harley has an upright sitting position, heavier for stability and has quicker steering. I recently went from an 1100 to a EG, same chassis as Road King but different fairing, lowers, has tour pack and weighs over 900 pounds. From experience I can tell you they are two totally different bikes. The Harley is quicker steering and has more ground clearance in corners. But you can't take an 900 pound touring bike and throw it into a corner like an under 700 pound cruiser. The 1100 was more fun to ride than the Harley by far. I do a lot of two up riding and was the main reason for swap, plus starter clutch had gone out on the 1100 and decided not to fix it. If you want a cruiser, stay with 1100. Want a touring bike, maybe get a Yamaha Venture, Road Liner or Harley. If you want a sport touring check out the FJR. Just remember that different bike classes are for different riding styles. Make a decision on how you want to ride and buy a bike in that class.
KCW likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
You can not compare a Vstar 1100 to a Road King or Heritage Classic. They are different bike classes. The Vstar is a cruiser, 64.8 inch wheel base, 33 degree rake and 685 pounds, meaning it's low and long with a laid back seating position. It's made for straight line cruising but handles the curves very good. The Road King is a touring bike, 63.5 inch wheel base, 26 degree rake and 812 pounds. The Harley has an upright sitting position, heavier for stability and has quicker steering. I recently went from an 1100 to a EG, same chassis as Road King but different fairing, lowers, has tour pack and weighs over 900 pounds. From experience I can tell you they are two totally different bikes. The Harley is quicker steering and has more ground clearance in corners. But you can't take an 900 pound touring bike and throw it into a corner like an under 700 pound cruiser. The 1100 was more fun to ride than the Harley by far. I do a lot of two up riding and was the main reason for swap, plus starter clutch had gone out on the 1100 and decided not to fix it. If you want a cruiser, stay with 1100. Want a touring bike, maybe get a Yamaha Venture, Road Liner or Harley. If you want a sport touring check out the FJR. Just remember that different bike classes are for different riding styles. Make a decision on how you want to ride and buy a bike in that class.
Ya, i understand that they are very different bikes and will ride differently. I'm looking for something a little different mainly because I want to start going on longer rides and although my 1100 looks good and is fun to tear around on, it's not very comfy after going past 100km/hr. And yes, I'm Canadian 🙂

I'm just hoping I can still tear around on the road king and lean it hard into corners. I know it might take a little more effort but I don't want the bikes physical dimensions to be what holds me back. If the weight and my own cautiousness hold me back, I'm fine with that since I'll learn how to handle the bike and build confidence in my turns as I learn the bike. If the frame hits too early, there's not much more that I can do but slow down (not saying thats a bad thing haha)

From what I've read, the road king handles really well and you mentioned it turns better. Do you mean at slow speeds or when you're countersteering as well?

The road king and new 2018+ heritage classics get compared a lot. The heritage classic is lighter and I've heard the new frame and suspension make it handle great. However, it has a much smaller lean angle than the road king. I've heard that older versions were even worse and not fun in the corners. They do show the lean angle on harley specs and I understand that variables can affect this (which I would take into account) but I figured they test it without the added weight of the rider and at a stand still so there is some sort of standard to go by, and therefore as comparable as possible.

I appreciate your help since I was hoping to hear from someone who has owned both bikes. I'm going to test ride in the next week or two but was just wanting some extra input.

I also get that I can probably get what I'm looking for much cheaper with another metric or by putting some more money into my current bike, but I really like the look of the road king special and if I'm going to dump money into something, I figured it might as well be the bike I really want.

I have a feeling I will miss my 1100 though. just hope I won't regret the change since it is a big investment.

Anyone else who has ridden both the 1100 and road king, I would really like to get your thoughts as well. Thanks

Last edited by Sabercromby; 06-04-2019 at 08:16 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:53 AM

My thoughts on upgrading from an 1100 Silverado. First of all I am 54 and have ridden most of my life except for a short period after seeing a friend killed riding ahead of me. All of my bikes have been metric 650cc or less except for a Harley 883 sportster that had a lot of problems. when I started riding again a few years ago I could have purchased any bike I wanted but figured I would go with something "reasonable" until I really knew I wanted to do this again. I bought my 2009 1100 Silverado fully intending to upgrade as soon as I determined I still wanted to ride. Most of my buddies ride HD so I take a good amount of ribbing about my "rice burner". We attend Thunder In The Valley every year together here in the mountains of PA. I have a camp in the mountains close to the rally so that is where we all stay. Every one of those guys trailer their bikes to my camp and they are from neighboring Ohio. In fact most of the bikes that are at the neighboring camps are also Harleys that are trailered in. Not anything wrong with that but if you are only coming 150 miles to attend rally why not ride? We do a lot of riding around PA mountains during the rally and I have never had a problem keeping up with the pack. Have seen a lot of breakdowns during our rides also but I have been lucky haven't been a victim of mechanical failure. I guess what I am trying to say is I have really learned to appreciate how good the Star bikes are, and plan on keeping mine for a long time. I don't ride super long distance on it but I have no problem doing a couple hundred miles on it comfortably. I also have no problems keeping up with traffic on PA interstates doing 75mph or so. Our riding season in PA is about 7 months and it has been shortened dramatically over the last 2 yrs because of record rainfall. I can't justify spending a substantial chunk of change on a "better bike" when this one is just fine for me. Try taking a couple trips on your 1100 might decide there is no reason to "upgrade" either. Like Lesblank though if the right deal came along for a Harley I might bite but it would have to be a very good deal and I would still hold onto my 1100.
lesblank, CanadianMohawk and Boots like this.

PEACE and BLESSINGS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in