Funny story - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 9Likes
  • 2 Post By Steve from Pa
  • 2 Post By tpeach66
  • 3 Post By Boots
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By Steve from Pa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Funny story

Funny story I got to stare. Been raining almost every day here in Pa and haven't got much ridding in so far. Today wife and I were going to get ups finish mowing the lawns this morning, then head out on our 1100 before the forecasted rain coming back tonight. So were running our butts off trying to get done any out before noon(too many lawns). Were all done by 12 I go out to get the bike and found out I let the key on last time I moved in in the garage and the battery's dead. I dont have a battery charger at home just my little 1.75 amp tender, so I [put it one for an hours while I do some other stuff to see if it will come back, it wont, so I run down to my local Advanced auto with the battery to see if they go one - sure enough they do.....so about 1:30 I thinking we might get a ride in today. I check the new battery with tested it shows 12.3 V so I swap out the batteries and put the tender on it for a half hour and go back to other things , and come back and try to start it up, all that happens is the relay under the seat vibrates, I check it has 12.8 with tender on it but when I tun the key on it quickly drops to 9.4 or so volt. So I'm searching on here to see what I might have shorted out with leaving the key on....spent couple more hours tying to figure out what was going on. I got it to turn over but then the battery would be dead, I though man that new battery couldn't be bad could it, so I used an old one out of another old bike to test and sure it turns out the battery was bad, took it back they said we having a lot of that of late, he just handed me a new one and said try it - sure enough. Started right up. - and we had about an hour to take a little spin and get home here tonight before it started raining again.
4 hours wasted of the nicest riding day this year ....on a brand new, junk battery.
KCW and Boots like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 07:11 PM
KCW

Garage
that is unusual

normally when a bike quits running its a single point failure, one thing is wrong, you fix it or replace it, and life is good

to have your replacement battery also fail will make your head spin trying to figure out what is wrong with the bike - you worked it out, which is not easy to do in that kind of situation

the only time I had a new battery with issues, the side of the battery was cracked and one of the cells only had about 1/4 of it acid in it, the rest had leaked out somewhere

ever since then I always look a new battery over good - got me once, wont get me twice.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:36 PM

Garage
The issue buying any power sport battery is they normally sit on the shelf for a while. They need to be topped off with a change before first use. This is common practice at any retailer that has a knowledgable staff. It does not effect the life of the new battery, well could if "new" battery is years old. All batteries have a month and year date sticker on side. Look at you new one, over year old take back and ask for a newer one. Here's example of sticker. This sticker is November 2000.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 11:14 PM

Garage
Every battery I've bought for the bike comes dry with a bottle of acid to fill it. I've never bought a prefilled power sport battery for just that reason, they sit on the shelf longer. Always buy dry then fill it and put on a charger. Just my 2˘

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
KCW and graybeard like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:00 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve from Pa View Post
Funny story I got to stare. Been raining almost every day here in Pa and haven't got much ridding in so far. Today wife and I were going to get ups finish mowing the lawns this morning, then head out on our 1100 before the forecasted rain coming back tonight. So were running our butts off trying to get done any out before noon(too many lawns). Were all done by 12 I go out to get the bike and found out I let the key on last time I moved in in the garage and the battery's dead. I dont have a battery charger at home just my little 1.75 amp tender, so I [put it one for an hours while I do some other stuff to see if it will come back, it wont, so I run down to my local Advanced auto with the battery to see if they go one - sure enough they do.....so about 1:30 I thinking we might get a ride in today. I check the new battery with tested it shows 12.3 V so I swap out the batteries and put the tender on it for a half hour and go back to other things , and come back and try to start it up, all that happens is the relay under the seat vibrates, I check it has 12.8 with tender on it but when I tun the key on it quickly drops to 9.4 or so volt. So I'm searching on here to see what I might have shorted out with leaving the key on....spent couple more hours tying to figure out what was going on. I got it to turn over but then the battery would be dead, I though man that new battery couldn't be bad could it, so I used an old one out of another old bike to test and sure it turns out the battery was bad, took it back they said we having a lot of that of late, he just handed me a new one and said try it - sure enough. Started right up. - and we had about an hour to take a little spin and get home here tonight before it started raining again.
4 hours wasted of the nicest riding day this year ....on a brand new, junk battery.
I'm impressed you had a good enough attitude to call it a "funny story" and not be totally freaked out about it. The better weather will come!
lesblank, graybeard and Cliffieg like this.

Boots
2002 V-Star 1100
Antioch, CA
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
Previous bikes:
2004 BMW K1200GT
1995 BMW 1100 LT
1970 Honda 500/4
1969 Kawasaki 500HD - 3 cylinder rocket
1968 Yamaha 250
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:08 AM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpeach66 View Post
Every battery I've bought for the bike comes dry with a bottle of acid to fill it. ...
thats good if you can do it that way, the batteries for these bikes are sealed glass matt construction, they are filled at the factory and sealed shut, no way to top them off or check the fluid levels.

If you need a sealed battery you have to buy it from a high volume place, like batteryshark, for that reason

now that I think of it, this may be why some dealerships dont carry the standard battery, they only carry expensive "hi performance" batteries that are over $200, compared to $35 from battery shark. The normal battery would sit on the shelf.. maybe for years.
lesblank likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:50 PM

Garage
I got a yuasa yt14b from the Honda dealer for $75 they filled it and charged it before I picked it up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots View Post
I'm impressed you had a good enough attitude to call it a "funny story" and not be totally freaked out about it. The better weather will come!
Having a race cars for the last 25 years you get over a couple extra hours of work like swatting a fly. In the big picture those couple hours are nothing to get excited about.
lesblank likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode