950 owners: mods? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
950 owners: mods?

so just bought a 2011 vstar 950 ( ALL STOCK )

looking to do some mods to get the RPM lower at higher speeds i have read a lot of the post about swapping pulleys out

few things i would like to see posted here

1 : what pulley setup you have front and rear

2 : what belt you went with if a change was needed

3 : did you lower your bike and what you used for parts

4 : what sizes rear tire are you using

5 : or anything else you may want to add
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:28 PM
KCW

Garage
people have done this and dropped the engine at 75mph a few hundred RPM

but if you look into it further it seems to be a lot of work and money in the wrong direction

these engines are not like harley Vtwins, Vstar engines have a relatively short throw crankshaft and are intended to run at a higher rpm

generally speaking a stock vstar bike of the same displacement has more HP than a Harley. A Vstar 650 is 40HP. A harley sportster 883 is only 30HP

I understand the engine sounds like its rev'ing fast at 75 or 85mph, because it is compared to a long throw Vtwin. There is nothing wrong, it will run 85mph all day long and still go for 100,000 miles on the odo.

I dont know the HP curves for the VS950, but the VS650 hits its peak HP at 55mph in 4th gear and 75mph in 5th. If you google it your 950 is probably hitting its peak HP at a little higher speed.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the info I do understand that it will run at those speed with out any problem but my issues is at those speeds the vibration or buzzing gets very annoying
and when taking long trips with family and friends i seem to be always trying to catch up or looking for a 6th gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:54 AM

Rear tire; 180/65-16 I read you can use 180/70

I would not lower it, as I can scrape the floor boards at will (and sometimes do) - I also ride a Ninja

Being hard to change the final drive ratio is the (big) down side to belt drive - it's so easy with chain and sprockets
Rember, if you raise the final drive ratio, it'll be a little harder to start out on inclines

I keep thinking of getting a digital GPS speedometer so I don't have to look down at the tank...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
but if you look into it further it seems to be a lot of work and money in the wrong direction

these engines are not like harley Vtwins, Vstar engines have a relatively short throw crankshaft and are intended to run at a higher rpm

generally speaking a stock vstar bike of the same displacement has more HP than a Harley. A Vstar 650 is 40HP. A harley sportster 883 is only 30HP

I understand the engine sounds like its rev'ing fast at 75 or 85mph, because it is compared to a long throw Vtwin. There is nothing wrong, it will run 85mph all day long and still go for 100,000 miles on the odo.

I dont know the HP curves for the VS950, but the VS650 hits its peak HP at 55mph in 4th gear and 75mph in 5th. If you google it your 950 is probably hitting its peak HP at a little higher speed.

it's not to fix a problem. it's to change the ride-ability so that it feels a little smoother at highway speeds. more RPM = more vibration
According to Motorcycle USA, the 2013 Harley Davidson Sportster Iron 883 has a maximum horsepower of 45.17 at 5900 RPM.

for some reason this chart of the 950's power curve won't show: http://www.ivansperformanceproducts....%20vs%20SO.gif
lesblank likes this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Last edited by bevo1981; 06-06-2019 at 11:35 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:56 PM
KCW

Garage
its been 6 years since I was thinking of getting a new Sportster 883, got the royal snub treatment by a dealer salesman, and wandered into a Yamaha dealership instead

maybe I got the sportster 883 HP wrong from memory, but if the 883 engine was scaled up from our 650, then the ratio would put it at 53HP (but its only 45HP). Maybe thats what I was thinking

either way, yamaha gets more HP per cc displacement than HD out of their engines, partly because the Vstar Vtwins are designed and geared to run at a higher rpm.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:05 PM

Yes, the dash on the 950 is so insanely low, I have to completely take my eyes off the road in order to see it.

I raised my 950 3/4" and haven't been scraping the floorboards but very rarely. I scrapped the frame twice and that was enough for me to fix that issue. Now in florida there are no turns around here, it's like the midwest, I could lower it and not have any issues now.
KCW likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:51 PM
KCW

Garage
^ I lived in WP Beach for 2 years in the late '70s - boring place to have a motorcycle, unless you get a dirt bike and ride out in the swamps
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
if the 883 engine was scaled up from our 650, then the ratio would put it at 53HP (but its only 45HP). Maybe thats what I was thinking

either way, yamaha gets more HP per cc displacement than HD out of their engines, partly because the Vstar Vtwins are designed and geared to run at a higher rpm.

i added the link to the 950 dyno chart that wasn't showing in my previous post.
not sure where you're getting your numbers. but if the numbers from Motorcycle USA and the 950 dyno are correct, then it shows the 950 gets slightly less HP/cc than the 883 and its max HP is reached at a few hundred RPMs lower.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
it's not to fix a problem. it's to change the ride-ability so that it feels a little smoother at highway speeds. more RPM = more vibration
I understand about changing rideablitiy, but...
more RPM isn't always more vibes.
I actually raised the RPM (by lowering the final drive ratio) on my Ninja 650. It has an exhaust and a power commander. The 'sweet spot' of RPM was above 70 mph, it is now just under 70 mph.
I've got 50K on that bike - and most of those miles are at or around that sweet spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode