Front cylinder misfire - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Front cylinder misfire

I have a 04 vstar 1100 it runs great when the rpms get up but at idle front cylinder misfires and sometimes it will cut off completely rev it up a few times it comes back really hard to start have to give it throttle most times to get it started with or without the choke had the carbs cleaned the valves adjusted wont idle until it is at normal temperature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:25 PM
KCW

Garage
If the problem is intermittent it sounds like an ignition issue, which can be hard to debug until the weak component fails competely

what do the plugs look like?

would also look for a vacuum leak on the front carb, boots, intake plumbing...

after the carbs were cleaned were they synched (balanced) ?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Yes they were synced when I had the carbs cleaned could the coil for the front cylinder have a weak spark and cause that ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

In the spark plugs look normal front and rear cylinder look the same
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:53 PM

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...r-must-do-list never give it throttle when starting. the tps advances the timing and causes the engine to kickback. kickback will strip the starter clutch, about a $700.00 repair. also don't stab the start button press firmly for ten seconds and let go. it sounds like your pilot jets are dirty the best thing is to take the carb apart and clean.. you can try a carb cleaner like berrymans b12 since it runs, it might work.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

I've taken the carbs off a month or so ago and I cleaned the pilot jet really good did not seem to really help much
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

And even if it was the pilot jet would that cause a misfire?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:29 AM

i'd take a good look at the pms screws. idle should be 950 to 1050. can you get photos of the plugs?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:32 AM

Garage
I had the same problem at around 5000 miles. I switched the plugs around and the problem switched cylinders. Bingo, changed plugs and all was fine. Hard to believe a plug would go at such low mileage.

Be the man your dog thinks you are!

POLITICS; From the Latin word "Poly", meaning many and "Ticks", which are Blood Sucking Parasites!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:06 AM
KCW

Garage
Any carb cleaner that you add to the fuel is worth the $8 for a bottle, it wont hurt anything, will clean your entire fuel system, and there is a good chance it will clean out the cause of a misfire.

When you had the carbs cleaned, what was the reason? Had the bike sat for a while and the fuel in the tank went bad? If so did you drain the tank, change the fuel filter, flush out the fuel pump? If not, the old gummy fuel will be sucked into your nicely cleaned carbs.

the ignition is definitely suspect - there is an in-line spark measuring/detecting adapter you can put in series with the plug that will tell you if you have a weak spark. It could be the plug, the wire, or the coil. For a quick check look where the primary side of the coil is connected (to the frame maybe).. if the connection is corroded it will make the spark intermittent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode