650 Silverado Ideas - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Sean L
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By KCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
650 Silverado Ideas

I've recently upgraded from my 650 Silverado to a 1300 Tourer. I kept the 650 for my wife to use as she's interested in learning to ride. The trouble is, this 650 is a real beater that I got for dirt cheap. The previous owner let it sit for years with no use. I had to fix multiple oil leaks the first year I had it. Mechanically it runs fine but it could use a lot of cosmetic work. There are a few paint chips on the tank, the saddlebags are coming apart at the seams, and the baffles were drilled out so it sounds like a lawnmower at certain RPMs. I'm thinking of stripping off the old "leather" accessories, cleaning it up and making into a Boulevard Cruiser for her. Any suggestions on the exhaust pipes?
KCW and Deeksvstarclassic like this.

Numbers 6:24-26

2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2017 Honda Accord Sport
2003 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado
2014 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer

Last edited by Sean L; 06-20-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:33 PM
KCW

Garage
Vstar 650 is a nice riding bike straight out of the crate.

Put the stock exhaust back on, ditch the windshield and saddle bags, lose the passenger seat, and I think you will be surprised yourself how much those things (esp the windshield) were sucking the life out of the bike.

If she will mostly be riding solo, with you on your 1300, she doesnt need the saddlebags

but the windshield esp, when you are below 65mph you get a very pleasant breeze across the bike without it - stay on secondary roads, ride thru the country and villages - its pure joy.
A naked solo motorbike is a beautiful thing.

as far as paint chips, I cant see my MC when Im riding it, so as long as bare metal is not exposed and rusting, what do I care what other people see as I ride past them?!

BTW, my Royal Star is the Boulevard model. The saddle bags and windshield stay in the garage unless I plan on riding on the interstate highway, or need to carry something in the bags.
Deeksvstarclassic and Sean L like this.

Last edited by KCW; 06-20-2019 at 12:36 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Vstar 650 is a nice riding bike straight out of the crate.

Put the stock exhaust back on, ditch the windshield and saddle bags, lose the passenger seat, and I think you will be surprised yourself how much those things (esp the windshield) were sucking the life out of the bike.

If she will mostly be riding solo, with you on your 1300, she doesnt need the saddlebags

but the windshield esp, when you are below 65mph you get a very pleasant breeze across the bike without it - stay on secondary roads, ride thru the country and villages - its pure joy.
A naked solo motorbike is a beautiful thing.

as far as paint chips, I cant see my MC when Im riding it, so as long as bare metal is not exposed and rusting, what do I care what other people see as I ride past them?!

BTW, my Royal Star is the Boulevard model. The saddle bags and windshield stay in the garage unless I plan on riding on the interstate highway, or need to carry something in the bags.
Yes I avoided taking the 650 on the highway whenever I could, It just isn't built for that. I really enjoyed the country roads with it.

The exhaust it has on it right now is the stock exhaust. The previous owner drilled holes in the baffles so its got a nice deep rumble at idle, but once you start getting into your usable RPM range it doesn't sound all that great. You're saying I should just get a new stock exhaust?

2017 Honda Accord Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:17 PM
KCW

Garage
or replace the baffles

or if its possible could you put sheet metal screws in the holes to plug them back up?

its pretty easy to find stock exhaust for these bikes, people replace them with aftermarket and have no use for the original ones

like these: https://rochester.craigslist.org/mpo...901228966.html

I guess you should ask the future rider what she wants. Dont see too many women riding with straight pipes on their bikes...

does the bike have the original air filter and intake? If the PO only drilled out the baffles he probably did not mess with the jets in the carbs.
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 06-20-2019 at 01:34 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
or replace the baffles

or if its possible could you put sheet metal screws in the holes to plug them back up?

its pretty easy to find stock exhaust for these bikes, people replace them with aftermarket and have no use for the original ones

I guess you should ask the future rider what she wants. Dont see too many women riding with straight pipes on their bikes...

does the bike have the original air filter and intake? If the PO only drilled out the baffles he probably did not mess with the jets in the carbs.
Yes, original intake, so probably nothing special done to the carburetors. I doubt I could plug the rusty baffles up, years of neglect prevents that option.

I suggested selling and getting her a newer bike and apparently that was the wrong answer... No Rebel 300 for her I guess.

2017 Honda Accord Sport
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:44 PM

Garage
Goggle: motorcycle exhaust lollipops. Cheap to do and will normally quiet it down a lot.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll take a closer look at the baffles tonight. I don't think those Exhaust "Lollipops" are a viable solution.

2017 Honda Accord Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode