Headlight stopped working - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Headlight stopped working

Hey guys I need help. Last night riding home from work my headlight went black. Some scary stuff going down the highway with no lights. But I looked over the connections and can’t find any loose wires. Just so you know I replaced my OEM with a LED unit. It flickered a little bit and then kept turning on and off. Low beams wouldn’t work but high beams would. Then fade to black. I’m charging the battery up to eliminate that as an issue. It’s an 09 v star tourer. Bought the led unit on amazon. Worked just fine until now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:11 AM

Garage
Test to see if you are getting 12 volts to the headlight and check ground continuity with meter. Connect the black (negative lead) of the multimeter to a good ground on the frame or to the negative battery terminal. Set the multimeter on the voltage scale for 20 volts. Turn on the headlights and select low beam with the dimmer switch. The reading should be around 12.4 volts or so. Then select the high beam with the dimmer switch. The voltage at the low beam connection should be 0 volts and at the high beam connection should be 12.4 volts. If you get voltage at each of these terminals, put the black lead into the negative connection and repeat the test. You should get the same results. If not, the headlight ground is bad. You have then tested all the connections on the connector.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:49 PM
KCW

Garage
^ what Les posted is correct

I would suggest checking the leads like he said, with the bulb plugged into the socket

then if you have 12 volts on the low and high beam terminals, using the ground terminal on the back side of the lamp socket, and the lamp is not on

then either the terminals on the bulb or connector are tarnished and not connecting, or the lamp has failed.

Plugging the volt meter into the lamp connector by itself is usually a good test 99% of the time, unless there is a high resistance connection back in the wire harness somewhere. With no lamp connected a high resistance somewhere between you and the battery will still show 12V on the meter, but when you plug the lamp in no current can flow, and you will be singing WTH?! WTH?!
lesblank likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I’ve been trouble shooting in my head sitting here at work. I will check the connections with a multi meter tomorrow when I have time. I have another question. Where is the ground wire supposed to be hooked up to? I don’t know if it was like this out of the factory or previous owner changed it but the group of wires coming into the headlight plug has a black wire not connected to anything. The plug had the high, low and negative wires connected to the plug but now I think I’m seeing what the problem might be. The black wire which I assume is the ground was not connected to anything. Where should that go? Is is possible it ripped off of something inside the housing unit? Or disconnected from another wire it was attached to? I have no experience with electrical stuff so maybe I didn’t realize when I first looked.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Now that I think about it I believe that ground wire which was fed into the housing with the three wires was soldered to the negative wire. I kind of remember seeing a solder point on one of the wires. So I’m guessing if I expose that black wire and touch it to the negative wire the light should come on.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:50 PM
KCW

Garage
just looked at the wiring schematic in the factory service manual to be sure, the black wire from the headlight (and turnsignals) are the ground wires

so yes, if the black wire to the headlight plug has joined the Flying Walenzias, that is the cause of your dark night ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode