Front pulley noise - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By AE0MT
  • 2 Post By 2lanerider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Front pulley noise

Hello everyone. New to the forum, but I have been reading many of the posts, and I was hoping I could get some advice and clarification.
I have an 09 XVS950T, with 35,000 miles on it. Just had the tires replaced, and it started squeaking, seemed like belt squeal. I took the covers off to adjust the belt tension, and I found a few things that I would like a few more opinions on. 1st, is my belt gone? 2nd, I see the red dust. What exactly is the likely cause of this, and what should I do about it? 3rd, is the belt supposed to track in the center of the front pulley? 4th, what is that noise, and how much should I be concerned about it?

Video for reference.
https://youtu.be/kaAIXuFRpuQ

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 06:06 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum. I hope you'll love your 950 as much as I love mine. Now, for my humble opinion on your questions.

The red dust is not a good sign. However, 10 years and 30k+ miles could have something to do with it. Can you move the washer behind the nut at all? You should not be able to, but when mine went loose on me, I could wiggle the washer with my finger. If you can move the washer, your nut needs re-torquing. If you catch it in time, the only parts you'll need are the washer (new part number now - not sure if this was the cause of this issue or not, but...) and a new nut. If you wait too long, the pulley then the shaft can be damaged. If the belt hasn't slipped, it is likely OK.

Sorry, but I really could not hear any noise in your video but suspect it might the pulley moving on the shaft if indeed the nut is loose. Mine belt tracks in the center of the front and to the outside edge of the rear when everything is set properly.

Everyone has their opinion on belt tightness, but almost everyone agrees the service manual recommendation of 5mm is too tight. I run mine at 10mm and have no issues. Then again, I almost never go full throttle. I do have some fun on occasion with no slipping, just not full bore every time I take off.

I'm sure some of the more experienced forum members will chime in with more advice. I've only had mine for 4 years & 28K miles and am on my 3rd belt. Long story and I'm tired of typing. Suffice it to say I was a victim of road debris (I'm lucky that way) AND the dreaded loose nut from the factory on a new bike.

Good luck and keep us posted on progress.

You're never really lost on a bike. You're just riding somewhere you haven't ridden before.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 12:47 AM

Garage
My 2013 started squeaking about a month after the tires were replaced. It's the alignment of the back tire and belt. Belt should ride to the inside and tension is too tight on it, back it off a few more mms. I also washed the entire belt with warm soapy water to get rid of any debris from the road and problem went away. Not sure on the red dust but definitely check the pully nut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I haven't tried to move the washer behind the nut, but I will look into that. I haven't noticed any belt slipping, but I was concerned about what could be threads visible on the edge of the belt.

The noise I was trying to show was a ticking sound.

Since my belt isn't tracking to the center of the front pulley, would it be wise to shim that pulley out a little bit?
I started reading about swapping pulleys for a 31 or 32 tooth pulley, and I like the idea of that. There is quite a bit of vibration in the floorboards at 70-75mph, and I am hoping lowering the RPM's a little will help with that.

So far I love the bike! Now I just need to do what I can to make sure it stays around for a while!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

it's 'normal' for the belt to track to the outside for this model. some people have put a shim on the front pulley to change that, but it's not necessary. i don't think i've seen anyone having to replace their belt due to premature wear on the outside edge for this bike. and the sweet spot for the belt tension is around 7mm. your's is too tight. the manufacturer's recommended specs are too tight. everyone will tell you the same.

if everything checks out OK and you still have belt squeaking, apply some chain lube or wax along the outside edge of the belt. did this to mine a few years ago when it started squeaking again and haven't heard it again.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just so I get it done right, is there a difference between tire on the ground and off the ground for that measurement?
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 05:31 PM

Garage
Measurement is done with the bike on the wheels AND side stand.

You're never really lost on a bike. You're just riding somewhere you haven't ridden before.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lanerider View Post
Measurement is done with the bike on the wheels AND side stand.
Yes, I understand that's the reference to go on. I understood there was a slight offset of some value when the measurement was being taken with the back tire in the air, and if anyone know's what that is, I would appreciate it. I will double check with the bike on its side stand to be sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode