Idle - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Idle

I'm curious on how you fine people set your idle correctly (950rpm - 1050rpm). I cleaned and synced my carbs, readjusted the idle by ear, but am unsure if it's actually set to the correct spec. I bought a cheap digital RPM gauge for 10 dollars off ebay but I'm pretty sure it's inaccurate (shows my idle as being excessively higher than what it is).

How do the dealerships do it and I'm wondering if they would quickly adjust it for me if I dropped in.

2003 Vstar 1100 Custom

The sun's shining, the birds are chirping; it's a good day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:50 AM

Garage
The idle does sound high but that's the way the Vstar is made. A lot of people want to idle down the get that "Harley sound", but very bad for our bikes. A low idle does not build enough oil pressure to keep things properly lubricated. The Vstar is a duel fire ignition, meaning it fires twice per stroke. This helps with emissions to burn any fuel left in cylinder. Most tachometers are set up for single fire ignition. Your tach is reading twice the true RPM. So if tach shows 2000 it's actually 1000. Hope all that made sense.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
The idle does sound high but that's the way the Vstar is made. A lot of people want to idle down the get that "Harley sound", but very bad for our bikes. A low idle does not build enough oil pressure to keep things properly lubricated. The Vstar is a duel fire ignition, meaning it fires twice per stroke. This helps with emissions to burn any fuel left in cylinder. Most tachometers are set up for single fire ignition. Your tach is reading twice the true RPM. So if tach shows 2000 it's actually 1000. Hope all that made sense.
Thank you. But if my digital tach is set on single fire ignition, but my bike is duel fire ignition, then if the tach is showing 2000rpm, wouldn't the bike actually be 4000rpm? (note: bike is NOT set to those specs. Just using to follow example)

2003 Vstar 1100 Custom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:20 AM

Garage
A tach set to single fire ignition will display ignition fires and converts to RPM. So if tach picks up one fire per revolution in a minute then RPM would be 1. On our bikes the ignition fires twice every revolution so it would show 2 RPM even though it was only 1 cycle of the ignition stoke. I'm sure I'm not explaining this very good, it's in my brain, just can't put it in words very well. 😀
Shawn855 likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
A tach set to single fire ignition will display ignition fires and converts to RPM. So if tach picks up one fire per revolution in a minute then RPM would be 1. On our bikes the ignition fires twice every revolution so it would show 2 RPM even though it was only 1 cycle of the ignition stoke. I'm sure I'm not explaining this very good, it's in my brain, just can't put it in words very well. 😀
I believe what you are trying to say if it read 4000 rpms because it fires twice per stroke it would actually be 2000rpm. Divide by 2 because it fires twice per stroke.
Rpms sound pretty high by ear. Need to be higher than you think
Shawn855 likes this.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Okay I believe my tach has the option to set it to "the spark plug fires two times per revolution", which is the option we want right? Whatever it displays will be the true rpm right?

2003 Vstar 1100 Custom

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn855 View Post
Okay I believe my tach has the option to set it to "the spark plug fires two times per revolution", which is the option we want right? Whatever it displays will be the true rpm right?
I believe you are correct. Make sure the bike is warm.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Okay so here's my results. I set my digital meter to "fires once per revolution" because the meter wraps around 1 spark plug wire, therefore only reads the reading from 1 spark plug, which fires once per revolution. I stopped raising my idle at "840 - 900" rpm on the meter, because i feel like my idle is pretty high from the sound of it. Please watch the video i just created to let me know if the idle sounds about right to you or if it sounds too high or too low please. Keep in mind I'm going off sound because meters can be faulty.

Thank you.
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.

2003 Vstar 1100 Custom

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:52 PM

Garage
Sounds like a sewing machine as many have compared it to. Was the engine fully warm. I would still go up just a tad too get closer to the 950 rpm mark. Yes it sounds high, but it's correct to maintain proper idle oil pressure.
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Sounds like a sewing machine as many have compared it to. Was the engine fully warm. I would still go up just a tad too get closer to the 950 rpm mark. Yes it sounds high, but it's correct to maintain proper idle oil pressure.
Engine was fully warm. 25 minutes on the hwy straight to home.

Okay was just checking to make sure the high-sounding idle sounded normal to you's since I don't have another vstar to compare it to lol

2003 Vstar 1100 Custom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode