3Likes
  • 1 Post By DukeHam
  • 1 Post By skypupbob
  • 1 Post By bevo1981

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Tubeless?

Is there a way to convert our stock tires to a tubeless setup? One of my biggest fears is a punctured tire on a long road trip. The other street bikes I've had have all been tubeless and I loved knowing if something went wrong I could do a quick roadside plug and dump some Slime in.

For my dirt bike there is an amazing product I use called Tubliss ( TUbliss Motorcycle Dirt Bike Traction Tires Tubeless ) that creates a dual air chamber and very effectively eliminates any and all flats. It's perfect peace of mind knowing I can puncture a tire six ways from Sunday out in the middle of the bush and still ride without issue.

Is there a wheel conversion, etc that someone has figured out that will allow us to eliminate the tubes?

650 Classic
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.

07 Vstar 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:57 PM

At 650 CC&D under how to, and misc. they describe a tubeless conversion.
I know where you are coming from with the plug and slime on a tubeless, but I'm not sure yet if I am ready to do the conversion on my bike yet.
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:04 PM

Garage
Here's a thread from a while back. Results have been mixed.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...-tubeless.html

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

instead of worrying about punctures and patches and flat tires, consider putting ride-on tire sealant in your tires. prevent flats before they ever happen.

KCW likes this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the answers guys.

I like the idea of the Ride-On sealant but frankly am skeptical on how effective it would be with a tube puncture. It seems to be the exact same concept as Slime but just thicker. If I understand the product correctly it sits in between the tube and tire and in the event of a puncture it would seal it using centrifigal force but that would only seal the tire and not address the hole in your tube.

Your tube would still have a hole in it and then the only thing not allowing air to esacape would be the seal Ride-On creates at the puncture point (and maybe along the bead?). Seems sketchy to me and presumable your tire would be out of balance.

Is the idea that it's a temp measure just to get you to the next town? What I like about Tubless tires is a proper plug and Slime allows you to finish your ride and then get a new tire when you're back home.

Do I have the right idea?

07 Vstar 650
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

https://www.ride-on.com/search/tube

this should answer some of the questions about tube tires. "Ride-On will eliminate 85-95%... your flats in tubeless tires from objects up to 1/4" (1/8 for tube tires)."
from what i've seen and read, it does work similar to Slime but more effective and less messy. it's not meant to be a permanent solution, since any puncture in your tire changes its structural integrity, but you could keep riding on it for however long you want at your own risk. for reference, i spotted a bit of the sealant on a spot on my rear tire once that could have only gotten there through some puncture; there was no foreign object still in the tire. my tire pressure never went down. i have no idea how long ago it had happened. i kept riding on that tire for about a year before i replaced the set and never noticed any difference.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode