650 Rear Tube Install - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 25Likes
  • 4 Post By lesblank
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By NeTexas
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 4 Post By NorthernRider
  • 4 Post By Deeksvstarclassic
  • 5 Post By stratsurvivor
  • 2 Post By Deeksvstarclassic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

650 Rear Tube Install

I pulled the rear wheel to repair a flat. And I am trying to re-install the tube on the rim but cannot get the curved valve stem in the rim. No room for my hand to push the stem into the hole. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:19 PM

Garage
Run a string, fishing wire, etc, though the valve stem whole in rim. Tie onto valve stem and pull it though. Works pretty good.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:51 PM
KCW

Garage
with the 90 degree bend valve stem you can only push it thru in one direction, if the angle will end up pointing away from you, it wont go in

the problem is the stiff tire fights you, you have to push the far sidewall against the far side of the wheel, so there is room for the valve to go thru the hole in the rim, and at the same time you need to spread the sidewall that is not hooked into the rim yet far enough to get your hand in there.

There must be a tool or clamp thing that bike shops use to spread the tire open and do this. Two people could probably do it by brute force.

If you have already pushed both beads over the rim and now you are trying to get the valve stem in the hole, you would have to clamp the opposite end of the tire together with a big c clamp and push it up into the center of the rim, to get some slack / space on the side where the valve stem is.

I changed the tires on my 650 by myself once. Its not worth the amount of work compared to carrying the wheel into a bike shop, and having them mount the tires for $35 to $45 each.

Without the tire mounting machine its almost impossible, esp with a really good heavy long lasting tire, like the OEM Bridgestones.
JonMaz2112 and stratsurvivor like this.

Last edited by KCW; 08-01-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I ended up taking the tire all the way off the wheel.The tire is the original made in 2004. It's really stiff. I will be getting new ones later so I get to do this again in two weeks. Yea!

Last edited by NeTexas; 08-01-2019 at 11:26 PM. Reason: PS
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 04:37 AM
KCW

Garage
if you think that 15 year old tire is stiff, wait till you see a new one - they almost feel like you could ride on them with no air.

When I changed the tires on my 650 I used a big C clamp to squeeze the tire to break the bead free from the rim. When one side broke free I put a piece of plywood on the rim on that side and used the C clamp again to break the other side free. Getting the bead loose is the easy part.

You need the right tire irons to get the tire off and on the rim - it really is a two man job without the mounting machine. If your tires are that old you might want to consider also getting new tubes, and the band that goes around the spokes to keep the tube from being damaged.

The other problem I had is the front tire would not seat the bead on the rim (after I had the new tire on). My compressor would only go up to 60psi. I used a good bicycle pump and had it up to 90 psi and it still would not seat. I took the wheel to a walmart tire center and got one of their guys to put some of their tire mounting lube goop on the bead, and hit it with their compressor to seat it. I dont know how much pressure it took, but for me pumping the tire up to 90 was scary as hell.

Last edited by KCW; 08-02-2019 at 04:41 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 05:28 AM

Garage
I agree with KCW on it not being worth saving a few dollars to do it yourself. When I was a kid I changed my own tires on my dirt bike, with mixed results. But after reading about the headaches involved in doing it without a machine on bigger bikes I didn't even attempt it. I just take the rims in and have a shop do it for $30. Money well spent.

Good call on replacing the tires - 15 year old tires are toast, even if they have good tread left. New tubes and a new spoke protector band are a must as well.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
if you think that 15 year old tire is stiff, wait till you see a new one - they almost feel like you could ride on them with no air.

When I changed the tires on my 650 I used a big C clamp to squeeze the tire to break the bead free from the rim. When one side broke free I put a piece of plywood on the rim on that side and used the C clamp again to break the other side free. Getting the bead loose is the easy part.

You need the right tire irons to get the tire off and on the rim - it really is a two man job without the mounting machine. If your tires are that old you might want to consider also getting new tubes, and the band that goes around the spokes to keep the tube from being damaged.

The other problem I had is the front tire would not seat the bead on the rim (after I had the new tire on). My compressor would only go up to 60psi. I used a good bicycle pump and had it up to 90 psi and it still would not seat. I took the wheel to a walmart tire center and got one of their guys to put some of their tire mounting lube goop on the bead, and hit it with their compressor to seat it. I dont know how much pressure it took, but for me pumping the tire up to 90 was scary as hell.
As many race car tires by hand - trailer tires - bike tires nad cars tires with a machine. I use a rachet strap to wrap around the tire to seat the bead. The magic lube goop is soapy water. My cycle tires i just paid to have it done. I haven't messed with tube tires much. When that bead pops on it sure can be scary. Hope fingers ain't in there!

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:05 PM

Garage
Just put new tires on my 650 Classic. Wanted to learn how...really like diy when I can. Was it worth the 100$ I "saved", for me, yes. Had the time, working in the garage. Greeting ready to do my Virago next..
Several good videos on you tube how to change and balance...
First tire, hour and a half! Second tire half hour. Will do it again when needed.

Just used tire irons and soapy water. (Motion Pro 08-0049 Tire Iron Set)

Learned how to stack the tire irons on top of each other to break the bead, worked really well. Plastic milk jug slices for rim guards, used plenty of lube, especially working around the rim to break the bead and remove the old tire. Hardest part is remounting the wheel on the bike. Balancing took about a beer and a half..just used jack stands and a smooth rod.. Clamp on weights were really slick! And reuseable. ***Made a cool tool for the valve stem using the old valve core...replaced the central part of the core with a small cable, attached other end to a handle. Thread it through the rim, screw it into the new valve stem, pulled the new stem into the hole smooth*** Tube tire, so no problem seating the bead..watch your fingers and hands, it really pops! (No I don't recommend doing your own tires, unless you like learning, and challenges. But I will do mine from now on.) Sorry for the long post, me a newbie, but just relating, it was actually kind of fun... With the cool tool like this one on Ama zo n
https://www.amazon.com/Pit-Posse-PP1...C/ref=sr_1_75?

2007 V Star 650 Classic
Vance and Hines Short Shots
Kuryakyn Hypercharger

Do a good turn daily!

Last edited by stratsurvivor; 08-02-2019 at 09:13 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 08:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratsurvivor View Post
Just put new tires on my 650 Classic. Wanted to learn how...really like diy when I can. Was it worth the 100$ I "saved", for me, yes. Had the time, working in the garage. Greeting ready to do my Virago next..
Several good videos on you tube how to change and balance...
First tire, hour and a half! Second tire half hour. Will do it again when needed.

Just used tire irons and soapy water. (Motion Pro 08-0049 Tire Iron Set)

Learned how to stack the tire irons on top of each other to break the bead, worked really well. Plastic milk jug slices for rim guards, used plenty of lube, especially working around the rim to break the bead and remove the old tire. Hardest part is remounting the wheel on the bike. Balancing took about a beer and a half..just used jack stands and a smooth rod.. Clamp on weights were really slick! And reuseable. ***Made a cool tool for the valve stem using the old valve core...replaced the central part of the core with a small cable, attached other end to a handle. Thread it through the rim, screw it into the new valve stem, pulled the new stem into the hole smooth*** Tube tire, so no problem seating the bead..watch your fingers and hands, it really pops! (No I don't recommend doing your own tires, unless you like learning, and challenges. But I will do mine from now on.) Sorry for the long post, me a newbie, but just relating, it was actually kind of fun... With the cool tool like this one on Ama zo n
https://www.amazon.com/Pit-Posse-PP1...C/ref=sr_1_75?
Never used the spoons to break the bead. Used a sledge, c-clamp with boards. even drove a truck on a boat tire upnorth to pop bead. The only time i had the "tools" was on hoosier race car tires. I like the milk jug protectors. I have been changin tires since i was 16. No u-tube for hints back then. Do they charge more to mount with tubes? You do get some satisfaction doing it yourself. I am old enough to know when to pay to have something done. Tires now is one of those. Never balanced my self i have used dynabeads. I liked the beer reference.
JonMaz2112 and stratsurvivor like this.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode