2013 v star tire change - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

2013 v star tire change

2013 V Star 250

I just read nightmares changing tires on the 650. Most recommend taking them to the shop.

I wonder if the DIY change is any easier for the 250?

I took mine to the shop when I had a 600 VLX and they did a poor job of balancing the tire (wont use them again). Motorcycle mechanics for v star 250 are quite limited down here in Pensacola so I'm still hunting for a good tire mechanic.

Big problem is the bike shop wants to buy the tires/tubes/rim strips etc. They refuse to install tires that you bought.

Any guidance, help and comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by Slowlane44; 08-02-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:41 AM

Garage
I have not had any experience with this but I believe I have seen some threads on here about Cyclegear. I think they will match the price you can get on line. Not sure if you have any near you but might be worth a look. Good luck!
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.

09 V Star 950

Be seen and be heard! Bright lights and loud pipes!

Enjoy the ride
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Looked up Cyclegear and its 70 hard miles away in Mobile. They install "their" tires for 25 bucks and "your" tires for 50. Still thinking about doing it myself.
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:48 AM

Garage
I will agree how stupid it can be to get and have tires mounted. There is a honda dealer here that you have to go and buy tires at the parts dept. Pay for them then take them to the service Dept. 5' away to have them mounted. I didn't do it because they made me feel intellectually superior. I have a cycle salvage that mounts tires i get. Last tires i bought from rocky mountain atv.

But it can be frustrating.
I have had used dynabeads to balance also in the past
graybeard likes this.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 01:22 PM

Garage
I bought some tires online once and took them to a local shop and they installed them, no questions asked. He told me at the time they try to keep their prices in line with online stores so the next time I bought from them. Yes, I paid about $15 more in total. No, I didn't save any money on the installation cost because I bought them there, but for that little difference in price why not support a local business?
lesblank, arby, graybeard and 2 others like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 05:33 PM

Garage
I've got a pretty decent yamaha/honda shop up the road who have sold and mounted two tires for me. One on the 650, one on the 950. No problems yet. After considerable checking around, the difference in price wasn't enough to make me drive a ways to buy a tire for a little less here and have it mounted elsewhere.

Improper balance didn't worry me as much as misalignment. My concern is that just ever-so-slightly cattywampus might not be noticeable until you see excessive tire wear, drive shaft or belt wear, mileage drop, ... I look at the wheel, the alignment marks, and belt but never really feel at ease until I've gotten a reading on mileage and some miles on the tire.

Anybody ever have a problem with rear wheel misaligned? I don't think I've ever heard anybody complain about it.

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

I ordered the 3 tire spoons from Amazon and got my son to help replace the rear tire. Many thanks to all the youtubes I watched made it possible. Balancing was easy also thanks to youtube.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 08:48 AM

Garage
I will agree how stupid it can be to get and have tires mounted. There is a honda dealer here that you have to go and buy tires at the parts dept. Pay for them then take them to the service Dept. 5' away to have them mounted. I didn't do it because they made me feel intellectually superior. I have a cycle salvage that mounts tires i get. Last tires i bought from rocky mountain atv.

But it can be frustrating.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowlane44 View Post

I took mine to the shop when I had a 600 VLX and they did a poor job of balancing the tire (wont use them again). Motorcycle mechanics for v star 250 are quite limited down here in Pensacola so I'm still hunting for a good tire mechanic.
I had a 2000 VLX600 up until 2 days ago. I bought new tires from J&P (they are just up the road) and had them mounted at the local Harley dealership. I called around and they were by far the cheapest in town. Off the bike was $28 + a few bucks for shop supplies & disposal when you bring in the tire. I was very surprised - most other shops here charge $50 - $80 off the bike with your own tire.

I talked with the mechanic as he mounted and balanced the front tire and noted it was slightly out of round. It was pretty minor and he said it shouldn't be a problem - that it was common with older spoked wheels. But I did notice some pulsing on really smooth roads. But then I bought my 1100 Silverado and didn't bother pursuing getting it trued up - and then I finally sold the VLX Thursday night!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM

Hello From Pensacola: There is a Cyclegear on Davis Hwy in the shopping center just south of Brent Ln.
They do change tires there if the wheel is off the bike or you can make an appointment with D & D cycles on Fairfield, they will mount the tires that you bring in and they test ride everything to insure it is safe. They are very good guys. They are the only shop in Pensacola I would trust to remove a wheel and put it back on for a bike I would ride.
If you are ever stuck on a Holiday or evening and need help changing a tire I have a bike jack, bead breaker , bike tire tools and a compressor. I change my own tires . Just send me a private message and I will give my cell, I live near Davis and Creighton .
lesblank likes this.

US Navy, ' 75- '85
'03 VStar 650 Classic
'06 Stratoliner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in