Too much clutch cable free play? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By Tergazzi
  • 1 Post By lesblank
  • 1 Post By Tergazzi
  • 1 Post By Slowlane44

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Too much clutch cable free play?

I tried searching for this when I was having this issue but didn’t find a thread on it. So I figured I would share what I did.

So a few weeks ago I replaced my old OEM bars, OEM risers and OEM levers and perch’s. I stayed OEM on the bars just did a new set, and went aftermarket on the risers and levers and what not.

Well somehow even though the risers were the same amount of rise, I had way too much free play in the clutch cable. Even after doing a proper clutch adjustment, and adjusting the free play adjuster at the lever (had it out all the way, held in by 3 threads!) I still had about an inch of free play.

What I did to resolve the problem was take an old tire pressure gauge and cut it down to 1/2” and slipped it on the end of the clutch cable where it goes into the case. The tire pressure gauge tube is the perfect diameter and still looks chrome/shiny to look somewhat good.

Then I readjusted the clutch at the case and at the lever. Now with my free play adjuster almost screwed in all the way, I have the perfect amount of free play that I like (which is next to none!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8857E715-72F4-484C-8B63-8916F1F45B4C_1565117365737.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	84964  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 04:09 PM

Garage
Nice work around. I resently replaced my throttle cable with after market and had same issue. A couple of small washers on the throttle body side cable end was my fix.
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

I want to get a custom cable made, but the shop here that does it has a 2 week turn around. I needed to be able to ride while I wait... lol
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:57 AM

Nice idea on taking out the play in your clutch cable. I have the same problem with a 2013 VStar 250. If I adjust the free play out of the cable the clutch then catches too far out. My setup is different than yours but the problem is the same. You have given me enough encouragement to get creative. Thanks, Slowlane
bevo1981 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode