Sluggish? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Sluggish?

Bike is suddenly running at lower power. Like at 80%. As if something is causing it to struggle. Two days ago i had to park the bike in the shed before it rained so I started it with choke on, and didnt let it warm up, and rode it/coasted it into the shed and turned it off. I never run the bike until its warmed up but i was in a hurry. The next day i go to start it and the first thing i notice when i started it on full choke is how the bike was much quieter/the bike's rpm wasn't as quick as it normally is on full choke. I put the choke to half and the bike started revving a bit more faster. I put it back to full choke thinking im crazy and the bike bogged down a bit. I took the bike to work and the next thing i notice is that the bike definitely feels off and sounds off, especially in the first gear and a a bit in second gear. Less noticeable in the higher gears.

First thing i though is my carbs were out of sync. So i checked and they were still perfectly in sync. Next I check the rpm using my gauge because of how quiet the bike sounds. (Hard to explain but I'm really in tune with how my bike sounds and feels and since all this started the bike has definitely sounded much quieter than normal). So i check the rpm and its still set at 960 which floors me because i remember when i first set it to 960 how much louder and faster my idle sounded on the bike. Another thing I noticed is how hot the engine feels shortly after starting the bike. I never used to feel any engine warmth on my leg when starting and letting the bike warm up but now suddenly i notice it a lot. I haven't had the chance to take it all apart yet but i wanted to reach out to everyone to collect your thoughts so i can have a list of things to check. At the top of my head here's what I'm thinking:

-Bad gas?
-Air leak? Since putting the choke on full, is causing the bike to bog, so that tells me it's not getting enough air?
-TPS Sensor is off again? Since I just adjusted it last week when I lowered it from over 800 down to spec (700 closed throttle). Maybe the sensor is faulty and is now lower than it should be?
-Carbs are dirty again, even tho i just cleaned them a month or two ago...
-Bad fuel pump or Fuel filter?

Thanks everyone.
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.

2003 Vstar 1100 Custom

The sun's shining, the birds are chirping; it's a good day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:21 AM

All the symptoms of wrong gas. Sounds like you put in premium. Premium will burn hotter and later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shawn855 likes this.
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:51 AM
KCW

Garage
need to point out: pull the choke out all the way to start it cold, and as soon as it fires push it in half way.

If you are letting the bike sit and idle with full choke you are fouling the plugs. If your plugs are fouled they wont clear out by themselves

its possible you got water in your gas.

If the bike sounds quieter, is it possible something started building a nest in your exhaust, or some critter crawled in there and died?

You should never have to check the sync on your carbs unless you have taken them apart - the sync adjustments will not shift, wear or change in normal use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
need to point out: pull the choke out all the way to start it cold, and as soon as it fires push it in half way.

If you are letting the bike sit and idle with full choke you are fouling the plugs. If your plugs are fouled they wont clear out by themselves

its possible you got water in your gas.

If the bike sounds quieter, is it possible something started building a nest in your exhaust, or some critter crawled in there and died?

You should never have to check the sync on your carbs unless you have taken them apart - the sync adjustments will not shift, wear or change in normal use.
Nono i never let it sit on full choke. I only start it on full choke then move it to half.

Okay, I'll start with emptying the tank. Once the tank is removed, how to I empty the gas in the lines? Just disconnect each hose from each carb, turn the key on, let it drain, key off, key on, let it drain, etc?

2003 Vstar 1100 Custom

post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:59 AM
KCW

Garage
are you draining the tank to change to regular gas
or because you think there could be water in the gas?

if its water, take the line off the petcock, drain the tank, and fill it with good gas an some Seafoam

thats all you need to do - any drips of water still in the tank will be absorbs by the seafoam and burned off gradually - also any water in the fuel lines will get flushed out by the seafoam mixed in the gas

its 1 ounce per gallon - some people dump the whole 16 ounce bottle in a 5 gallon tank - dont do that.

If you are only changing octane ratings just drain the tank from the petcock and fill it with regular, dont worry about the little bit of gas in the lines and float bowls

I calculated once the two tablespoons in each float bowl is enough to get the bike about a mile down the road, and I verified that a few times when I forgot to turn the petcock on.
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:00 AM

Garage
Turn off petcock. Pull line off fuel pump from tank, put in empty gas can, turn petcock to reserve, fix glass of sweet tea (it's a southern thing), drink tea, watch can fill up. Put gas in your car. Buy some new gas. Put in tank. You will still have some fuel in carb bowls so might take riding a few miles to get it all burned. Before you put gas in car, look at it. Any moisture floating around? If so don't put in car.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:01 AM

Garage
KCW, you type too fast. 😂

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
Turn off petcock. Pull line off fuel pump from tank, put in empty gas can, turn petcock to reserve, fix glass of sweet tea (it's a southern thing), drink tea, watch can fill up. Put gas in your car. Buy some new gas. Put in tank. You will still have some fuel in carb bowls so might take riding a few miles to get it all burned. Before you put gas in car, look at it. Any moisture floating around? If so don't put in car.
It must be a southern thing up here we spell sweet tea BEER
graybeard, Boots and Shawn855 like this.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
are you draining the tank to change to regular gas
or because you think there could be water in the gas?

if its water, take the line off the petcock, drain the tank, and fill it with good gas an some Seafoam

thats all you need to do - any drips of water still in the tank will be absorbs by the seafoam and burned off gradually - also any water in the fuel lines will get flushed out by the seafoam mixed in the gas

its 1 ounce per gallon - some people dump the whole 16 ounce bottle in a 5 gallon tank - dont do that.

If you are only changing octane ratings just drain the tank from the petcock and fill it with regular, dont worry about the little bit of gas in the lines and float bowls

I calculated once the two tablespoons in each float bowl is enough to get the bike about a mile down the road, and I verified that a few times when I forgot to turn the petcock on.

This issue started while i was running regular gas but I was down to 40 km left on the tank so I threw in premium gas and seafoam thinking it would improve things. My bad lol. So I'll be draining out premium gas and replacing it with regular.

Here's the kicker: My friend parked her bike in my driveway and left it there because her bike started running like garbage after she filled up on gas. 3 days later and the same thing happened to my bike. Quite the coincidence.

Also a sidenote: A couple of nights before, I rode with some buddies. They ride fast and I was keeping up, going the bikes limit, which on my bike is 160 - 170km/hr. The bike rode fine the next day so I don't think whatever is the issue is from that night but still worth mentioning.
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.

2003 Vstar 1100 Custom

post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:40 AM
KCW

Garage
if the bike was acting up on regular gas then the premium is not the issue, unless it has gotten worse

seafoam will help if there was water in the gas, but it wont help if the fuel is got goop in it, sludge, or was contaminated with something else (like diesel fuel in the underground tank)

If the engine is just a bit off, other than checking your plugs, look at your air filter - it doesnt take much dust in there to choke the engine, or you could have a bunch of bugs or something sucked in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode