Intake worth it? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Intake worth it?

I have cobra 2-1 slip in and flashed ecu. I was wondering if a k&n filter is enough or if a cobra powerflow would significantly help performance? I sometimes feel like passing uphill can be a struggle. But maybe its just because im not using high enough rpms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

any aftermarket air intake is going to give you more air to your fuel/air mix over stock. the cobra powerflo intake system already has a K&N filter in it. if you're wanting to add a K&N filter to your stock air intake system, you might see some improvement but the stock box housing still limits how much air gets collected and funneled into the engine versus any aftermarket housing.

lesblank likes this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:22 PM

Yes 100% worth it, power gains are much better and it actually gives it a lower tone (rumble)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Cobra or kuryakyn?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

i recommend something like this. the more exposure you have the more air you're going to get.

https://lachoppers.com/products/air-cleaner-xxx-91-17xl

Keith Post likes this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
i recommend something like this. the more exposure you have the more air you're going to get.

https://lachoppers.com/products/air-cleaner-xxx-91-17xl

I have been looking at getting that very intake for my 950T. But, I have read that it does make the bike run extremely lean with out a fuel management or Ivans tune.
Cant decide which one, or both to go with.
Keith Post likes this.

2010 V Star 950 Touring
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:15 PM

I have the Cobra, looks great, sounds great!
Keith Post and arby like this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Today, 12:43 AM

I put the Kurakin Hyper charger on my 650 and can't hammer the throttle without it putting me in the back seat. The hardest part was getting the carbs dialed in.
Keith Post and stratsurvivor like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Today, 08:15 AM

I just changed out my exhaust, air intake, and Fuel mgmt on my 950T.

First let me say my "stock" setup had the stock pipes' baffles drilled out. The stock intake had a K & N filter. No fuel management. I got tons of backfire on deceleration with this setup. That setup had all the power you would want and then some. But it didn't have the sound I wanted.

So I put Cobra Speedster Slashdowns on first .(yes they fit great on the 950 tourer despite what Cobra says). Now the sound was right.
Got the Cobra Powerflo intake in a few days later and installed it. Unfortunately I noticed NO difference in the sound or performance. Pretty disappointed in that. Basically spent $250 for nothing.
Next I added the Cobra Fi2000 fuel management module ( a real PIA to install) and the backfiring went away.

In all honesty now that all three components are installed I noticed a slight decrease in performance. Nothing earth shattering. I actually like it somewhat. The bike is not as squirrely as before. Before I barely rolled the throttle and I thought it was going to pop a wheely. On deceleration, if I rolled off the throttle too quick it was like I slammed the brakes on. Now with the fuel management installed that has all smoothed out somewhat.

I think the stock 2 into 1 exhaust does add to the performance of the bike.

If you want to keep your stock exhaust & intake, but beef up your performance, then drill the baffles out of your exhaust and put a K & N filter on and you will see a nice improvement. It also sounds better and isn't too loud.
lesblank likes this.

Hickory North Carolina
2012 V Star 950 Tourer
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Today, 08:31 AM
KCW

Garage
something important has been left unsaid here

if you modify the exhaust or the air intake and do nothing else, you have not increased the HP of your engine

all you have done is make the throttle more sensitive - when you crack the throttle open more air will get sucked in

but it will be the same as if you had twisted the throttle further before you changed anything

to get more HP you need more air and more fuel - laws of physics remain in effect

to get more fuel on a carbed bike you need bigger jets and you need to back the PMscrews out some

to get more fuel on all Yamaha fuel injected bikes you need a power commander or you need to have your stock ECM flashed (reprogrammed) to tell the injectors to dump more fuel for any given throttle twist. Need to point out, the fuel injection system on all cars, and on Harley and BMW bikes WILL adjust over time for changes to the intake and exhaust and fuel octane. The fuel injection system used on yamaha bikes is "open loop" and it does not adapt to those changes by itself.

if you dont change the fuel delivery all you have done is make the engine run lean. Eventually it will burn your valve edges and they will leak, and you can burn holes thru the tops of your pistons into the crankcase if you ride the engine really hard, in both cases your engine is toast.
Keith Post and arby like this.

Last edited by KCW; Today at 08:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in