Construction traffic whoa's - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Construction traffic whoa's

Hey. Anybody have good tips for getting stuck in traffic?
Went out Monday, Had a great ride, till I got about 5 miles from home. No signs, but came around a blind turn into a short straight, to see traffic stopped. Riding under control yes. But road was torn down to gravel, no birm, another blind turn. And I'm stopped. At ninety degrees temp, and been cruising for about an hour. What do i do? Wound up getting second degree burns from my exhaust. Had to keep both feet down, to idle in the gravel. And yes, I'm short. My right leg rests on the pipes when I've got both down like that situation...

Didn't feel safe trying a u turn with blind oncoming traffic out of a construction zone. No places to pull off. Had to sit about ten minutes...

Suggestions? (Besides getting longer legs..). Thanks for all the info you guys share!
Keith Post likes this.

2007 V Star 650 Classic
Vance and Hines Short Shots
Kuryakyn Hypercharger

Do a good turn daily!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:30 AM

Garage
In your garage you stated the exhaust is short shots. You can remove the outer shield and put exhaust wrap on the actual exhaust pipe. Then install the outer shield back on. It's a tight fit but you can get a couple of wraps there to reduce temperature on leg. I've done this several times and helps a lot. It's a pain to do but wotks. Look at arrow on picture, hope that made sense.

Keith Post and stratsurvivor like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Les. Definitely will try it. Anything will help.

Could i have done anything smarter? Take the uturn to get out of the line up? Shut off, and restart? Have been trying a balancing act shifting my but off the right side but not very stable standing on right leg with only my left leg on the seat...

Thanks again for the suggestion. You guys are so cool! This newbie really appreciates your help.

2007 V Star 650 Classic
Kuryakyn Hypercharger

Do a good turn daily!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:50 AM

Garage
I'm vertically challenged also (5'6"?&#128515. The exhaust used to burn my leg. I wrapped my exhaust like I suggested and lowered the bike to enable my to flat foot better. With the bike lower my legs were further away from bike when standing. Just an idea of what worked for me.

Keith Post and stratsurvivor like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:59 AM

Garage
If youíre in stopped traffic for a while with a construction delay vs. stop and go traffic, you already mentioned a solution. Turn the bike off. Also, put the kickstand down (left foot on the ground and right foot on the peg or floorboard) or get off the bike.
Keith Post, KCW and stratsurvivor like this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Afaycasaym, thanks. Didn't know if that would be good idea...don't want to hold up traffic (cars) getting restarted. Guess i need to practice quick start ups... Thank you!
Keith Post likes this.

2007 V Star 650 Classic
Kuryakyn Hypercharger

Do a good turn daily!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks again Les. If it helped you, then it's worth the try. (I imagined you a lot taller. You seem larger than life!!) Thanks, and keep the rubber down!
Keith Post and lesblank like this.

2007 V Star 650 Classic
Kuryakyn Hypercharger

Do a good turn daily!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratsurvivor View Post
Thanks again Les. If it helped you, then it's worth the try. (I imagined you a lot taller. You seem larger than life!!) Thanks, and keep the rubber down!
That's funny. 😃😂. I'm really about 5'5", since I don't stand straight very often. Weigh all of 125 pounds on a good day. I even have boots with a raised heel to assist me reaching the ground. They say big surprises come in small packages. Truth is I just have a big mouth. And I currently ride one of the biggest bikes out there. I loved it when everyone said I wouldn't be able to handle the Harley. Well a year later and over 7000 miles, mostly Houston commuter miles, on it I can say it's not to big. Here's a picture the day I got the bike.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:50 PM

Garage
I second the suggestion from Les. Iíve done the same thing on my last two weeks and it makes a big difference.
If you have access to some kind of cover, ie tree, try parking underneath one. Basically finding some kind of shade if available. Itíll keep you from getting dehydrated. Iíve done it before and it worked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lesblank and stratsurvivor like this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:25 PM

I'm no expert, but that rarely slows my opinion creation gene...

If you find yourself coming in contact with the pipe frequently, heat wrapping seems like a no-brainer. Function has to be master over appearance.

I'm not tall, I have to round up to call myself 5-10. But I often ride in shorts (not looking for opinions on that), and if I'm not careful I will touch a pipe. Haven't ended up with a burn yet, so not looking to do any wrapping personally.

What I didn't understand is why you needed both feet down. At a stop I will often sit with my left on the ground and my right on the floorboard. And if I'm sitting on any kind of a hill, my right will be on the brake, so I can rest my right hand. Does your stature make your balance of the bike feel unsteady with only one foot down? Obviously you want to be ready to drop that right foot if you feel yourself leaning right, but that reaction should be easy.

The other aspect is what to do when sitting for long periods at idle. My practice there is this...after a long heat soak running the bike, I want it to run for a few minutes which will actually help cool the heads via oil flow. This is better than pulling off the highway and immediately shutting down. So in the instance you mentioned, I probably would stop, let it idle for 3 or 5 minutes, then assuming it was looking like a long delay I would shut the engine off. Even sitting right there in the lane of cars. I know my bike starts instantly when warm, so I'm not concerned, plus you'll see the line of cars start to move before your turn to go comes up. I avoid long idling of more than 5 minutes on warm days.

I thought this thread was going to be about construction sand or gravel on the road. That's scary stuff right there.
stratsurvivor likes this.

Please, call me Bill.
2005 V-star Classic 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode